‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Knockout

After getting dressed, I went downstairs; Gerard and Bandit were gone, Uncle Butcher was helping Wolfie start his homework and Dani was starting hers as well. I sat on the couch, next to Uncle Butcher, waiting for him to finish helping with Wolfie's division math work.

"...That's all you do." Butcher finished, "I'm gonna talk to Joey real quick. Holler if you need anymore help."

Wolfie nodded, "Thanks."

Uncle Butcher got up, I followed and we went into the kitchen. He got a soda from the fridge and leaned against the counter.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"My parents' marriage is in trouble." I began.

Uncle Butcher nodded, "Yeah, your mom told me."

"There is so much they aren't telling me and I want to know to help."

He looked at me and raised his brow, "Joey, you're a kid, there's nothing going on. This is between your mom and dad."

"But, I want to help. I don't want them to divorce." I spat quickly, "There has to be something I can do!"

He shook his head, "Joe, this is grown up things..." He rubbed his neck and set his soda can on the counter, "And as much as I love your mom, I can't get in it anymore than you can."

"Just tell me what's going on between them! There has to be more than just cheating."

His brows shot up, "You know?"

"Yeah, I know." I told him. 

"Your mom told me she wasn't going to tell you guys the truth about Dani."

I furrowed my brows, "Dani? What about Dani?"

Uncle Butcher shut his mouth, then hung his head, "I said too much." He tapped his forehead, "Shit."

"No, tell me, please." I begged.

"I can't do that to your parents, Joey." He spoke with regret.

"I won't tell them." I bribed, "I won't treat her any different."

"You'll be mad, kiddo. You'll hate your dad."

I blinked, floundering a moment, then I sighed, "Just tell me."

"Joey, I understand you love them and you want to help, but they have to do this on their own."

"Uncle B, please!" I exasperated, "I hate being in the dark. I won't tell that you told me and I won't tell Dani or Wolfie."

Uncle Butcher leaned off the counter, then went by the hall, looking around. He came back, standing across from me again, "Don't, under any circumstances, tell them, Joey. Your mom would kill me, and she really will divorce your dad."

I nodded, "I promise. I don't like seeing her cry."

He swallowed hard, "The truth is, that Dani was born by another woman your dad was seeing... Back when you were what, 5 or 6?" He rubbed his face, "The woman got pregnant, and she came and told your mom..." Uncle Butcher trailed.

My jaw slacked, "The baby was Dani." I finished.

"Yeah. The lady, she blackmailed your dad, and got a lot of money. She gave Dani to your parents after she was born, and your mom adopted her. We all pretended that she was really theirs."

I shook my head, I felt really angry with my dad, "But... Dani looks just like my mom."

"So does that woman. She and your mom could be sisters."

I frowned angrily, "I can't believe him."

"Look, your mom forgave your dad, and now you have a beautiful little sister. You love her don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. I just... I feel terrible for mom."

"We all do. It's hard to not think about it when I see her," Uncle Butcher shook his head, "At times, I think it'd be better if they did divorce."

I began to think so too.

"Don't worry," I told him, "I won't tell a soul."

He pulled me into a hug, "I'm sorry you have to find out."

"Me too." I whispered to myself.

Uncle Butcher pulled away from me just as the front door opened. I heard Dani run and squeal, "Mommy! Daddy!"

Butcher patted my back, following me to the foyer. It turned my stomach when I saw my dad, smiling and holding Dani. I never had the urge to hit anyone before, but I really wanted to hit my dad.

"Hey, B!" My mom squealed too, rushing over and hugging Butcher, "I'm so glad you're here!"

He returned the hug, "I told you, remember?" He chuckled.

My mom let him go, then looked a me. A small frown appeared on her face, "Joe, are you alright? You look pale."

I swallowed thickly, "Fine. Just missed you, mom."

She smiled again and hugged me, "Aw, I missed you, too!" She had let me go, "Is Wolfie doing his homework?"

"Yes, I am!" Wolfie called just as I was going to answer.

"Good," she exhaled, "I'm gonna go order a pizza. Start doing your homework, too." She told me.

"Yeah, okay." I kissed her cheek.

She chuckled funnily, "Gee, thanks, Joe."

I shrugged and watched her go. Uncle Butcher patted my back, "You're a good kid."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, sure."

I jogged up the stairs, surpassing my dad as he talked and took Dani into the living room. It physically took my a lot not to snap at him. I had to keep my promise and keep my mom from sadness.

As I got to my room, I grabbed my work and sat at my desk. I grabbed my science book, and flipped to the page I had to do. I looked up for a second and caught a glimpse of a photo strip of my mom and Dani from the fair last year. 

I had to look at it, it made my stomach hurt, it made my blood boil. It pissed me off. 

My mom took so much from my dad, and he couldn't even be faithful enough to keep from yelling at her. She adopted his love child and he had the nerve to throw things at her. I balled my fist and got up. 

I paced my room before the anger boiled over and I slammed my fist into the wall next to my door. I yelled out angrily, holding my hand as it throbbed. I bit my bottom lip, looking at my hand as I heard heavy foot steps jogging up the stairs and towards my room. 

The door opened just as I looked over the gash across my knuckles. My dad looked at me, then at the wall, "What the hell did you do?" He asked.

I couldn't answer, I was blinded by anger, "Go away." I growled, tears swelled up as the pain in my hand shot through my body.

"God, you're just like your mom." He sighed, "C'mon."

He put his arm around my shoulder and led me to the bathroom. I was taken by surprise as he picked me up under my arms and set me on the counter. "Let me see it."

My hand shook as I gave it to him. He felt it, "Wiggle your fingers." 

I do so, "They aren't broken."

He nodded, "Yeah. If they were, you'd probably have bolts like Sunny." He reflected with a laugh, "Now, are you gonna tell me why you tried to knock out the wall?"

I bit my tongue.
♠ ♠ ♠
I see Joey got his anger problems from Frank and Sunny.