Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Thirty Seven

“You’re going to Mexico? No, no I understand, go see Grandma. We’ll be fine, there’s a lot of snow here anyways, and it’s hard to travel. Tell Mike he’s welcome here if he wants. We’ll come visit soon.” Vic turned to look over at Aria, who was seated at the kitchen table, grumbling to herself about some case study she was reviewing. “She’s really looking forwards to meeting you guys too. Maybe in the spring?” Aria looked up at him, confused. “Yeah, I’ll talk to you soon dad. Bye.” Vic hung up and sat down at the table.
“Whats up buttercup?” Aria asked, closing the file and her book and resting her head on her arms.
“My parents are going to Mexico for Christmas to see my Grandma. So, we’re going to stay here. Mike is going to come here though.” Vic told her.
“Awesome. We need a tree though.” Aria announced, getting up and heading to the door, pulling on her coat and boots.
“Where are you going?” Vic sighed.
“We need a tree, and lights and some ornaments and some food.” Aria told him, crossing her arms and waiting for him. Vic threw his hands up in the air and got up, heading over to her.
“And where are we going to go to get this tree?” He asked, pulling on his jacket also.
“A tree lot, and then we need to go to home depot or something and get lights and stuff.” Aria told him, handing him his truck keys and pushing him out the door.
Vic started the truck and backed out of the driveway as Aria pulled out her phone and began typing madly.
“What are you doing?” Vic asked, glancing over at her.
“Finding a tree farm.” She answered, starting to shiver in the cold truck. Vic leaned over and cranked up the heat. “Here we go! Go left up here, then get on the highway.” Aria told him.
“Why didn’t you just tell me to get on the highway? I know how to get there.” Vic told him. Aria shrugged in response, looking down at her phone.
“Then take the fourth exit, and go straight for five miles, then turn right and we’ll be there.” Aria told him.
“Tell me as it comes baby.” Vic told her with a smile as his phone went off. He pulled it out of his jacket pocket and handed it to Aria. “Get that for me, its probably Mike.”
Aria pressed talk on the phone and pressed it up to her ear. “Hi Mike! Vic’s driving right now. We’re going to get a tree.” She paused, listening to him, a smile coming across her face before she started laughing. “Yeah, we’ll wait for you, wouldn’t have it any other way.”
“Ask him when he’s coming and if he needs a ride.” Vic said as he pulled onto the highway.
“Vic wants to know when you’re coming and if you need a ride.” Aria repeated to him. She then pointed up at a sign. “Turn there.” She said. “No, not you. So when?” Vic shook his head.
“Put him on speaker.” Vic told her. Aria jabbed the speaker button and Mike’s voice filled the car.
“So I’m looking at tickets right now and I can get one for the 20th, and I’ll get a taxi this time, or rent a car so you don’t have to drive.”
“I can come get you.” Vic told him, turning on the exit and speeding up as it began snowing again.
“Its cool. I’ll get a taxi. Aria, make sure you don’t decorate the tree without me. I’ll be super upset if you do. I’ll break the tree down and make us start all over.”
“I won’t Mike, I promise.” Aria laughed, looking down at her phone and pointing ahead. “Turn right ahead and go straight. It’ll be on the left.” Vic nodded and turned.
“We’re gonna get going to pick out a tree. We’ll see you in a week.” Aria said, then hung up after saying good-bye. “Your brother threatened me.”
“Not really. He likes decorating trees. He’s an odd guy.” Vic answered, turning into the parking lot that was nearly full.
“Wow.” Aria said as they pulled into a parking space near the edge of the place and got out. “Looks like everyone’s rushing.” She shut her door and took Vic’s hand as they re-joined behind the truck.
“What kind of tree do you want?” Vic asked, releasing her hand and putting an arm around her waist, pulling her more tightly against him.
“A pretty one that’s big.” Aria answered. Vic laughed and kissed her lightly on the cheek as they headed into the lot.
As they walked through, Aria stopped at each tree, studying them closely for a few moments before moving onto the next one. After pacing around about twenty different trees, Aria stopped at one, studying it so intently Vic started wondering if she was having a stroke. Suddenly, she whipped around to face him, a large bright smile on her face.
“This is the one.” She announced brightly, clapping her hands together. Vic rolled his eyes and smiled at the childlike happiness she had.
“You sure?” He asked her as he lifted the tree from the stand and set it down, grabbing it instead by a lower branch and hefting it up. Aria nodded and followed him over to the shaker and to pay. He handed her his card and pointed at the building. “Go get something warm to drink for us and pay for the tree.” He told her. Aria nodded briskly and walked off. Vic got the tree bagged and waited outside for Aria to come out.
Moments later, Aria pushed open the door with two cups of hot cider. She handed one to Vic as she nodded at the tree.
“It’s perfect, isn’t it?” She said with a smile, taking a sip. Vic nodded in response and handed her his cup back.
“It’ll look even better inside of our house.” He said, then grabbed the stump and pulled it to the truck. As he shut the gate to the back, a flash of brown darted past them. A small cat crouched near their truck on Aria’s side, watching them warily. Aria set down her cup on the hood of the truck and crouched down, sticking her hand out, whispering softly to the cat.
“Aria, let it be.” Vic sighed, watching as the cat stretched out to her outstretched fingers. Aria leaned over it and scooped it up, then turned to Vic.
“We’re gonna need to stop at a pet store.” She told him, deadpanned, then climbed into the truck, shutting the door. Vic threw his hands up into the air and got into next to her, starting the truck.
“We are not keeping it.” Vic told her as they backed out. The cat was curled up in her lap, eyes closed. “Its probably someone’s pet.”
“Doesn’t look like it. It looks sick and thin, and yes we are.” She replied. “We’ll stop at the Petsmart and get it checked out, then pick up everything it needs.”
“We’re not keeping it.”
“Please.” Aria said, turning to look at him, her eyes wide and pleading. “I’ll do anything you want.” She grinned at that one. “Please.” She said more quietly.
“Fine, if it doesn’t have a home, we’ll take it.” Vic said with a sigh. Aria let out a squeal of delight.

“Do we really need a cat condo?” Vic asked, looking at Aria, who was cuddling their new cat, Mia.
“She wants one. And food. Lots of food.” She answered, picking up one of Mia’s paws and tapping it on Vic’s arm.
“We’re getting food next.” He said, smiling before taking Mia. She was light, and she seemed to melt against him, like tiny, furrier version of Aria. He gestured at medium sized one. “That one good?” He asked. Aria nodded and went over to grab it. “Hold your horses there babe, take your fur baby and I’ll get it.”
“Jesus Vic, I’m not an invalid.” Aria said, but took Mia anyways and set her down to explore. They had put a harness and a leash and Aria had grabbed her a pink collar also. Vic added the cat condo to the already nearly full cart they had and they headed towards the food.
As they headed out into the now almost blizzard weather, Vic’s phone went off. He reached into his pocket and answered his phone.
“Hey Mike. Whats up?” He listened for a minute, then groaned loudly. “What do you mean where are we? We’re out shopping.”
“We got a cat!” Aria said loudly so Mike could hear here.
“What the fuck are you doing there? I thought you were going to be here in a week?”
“He’s at our house?” Aria asked, confused. Vic finished the phone call and began putting everything in the backseat.
“I guess he got onto a flight. And he even stopped and got us lights and ornaments. Which is great; because we’re in another blizzard warning. He gave her a light smack on the butt. “Now get in the car so I can get you home.” He said. Aria grinned and got into the car, setting Mia in between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like cats. And yeah. PTV tomorrow! YAY!