Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Thirty Nine

Vic turned to look at Aria, who was sitting on the couch, her feet up on the coffee table, admiring the tree. He set down a container of fried rice in front of her and sat down, putting an arm around her shoulders as she leaned against him.
“Looks good.” She murmured as Mike came out of the bathroom and threw himself onto the chair, stretching.
“Lets watch some more Harry Potter.” Mike said with a yawn. “On second thought, I might just go to bed. I’m fucking tired.”
“You should be, its three AM.” Aria laughed. Mike looked over at her, then at his phone, then dropped his phone on the floor and got up.
“I’m going to bed then.” He announced, moving down the hallway and to the spare bedroom they had. Aria turned and looked up at Vic.
“You want to go to bed too?” She asked as Mia jumped onto the couch, purring.
“Yeah, probably a good idea, I’m pretty tired.” Vic said, watching Aria stand up with Mia in her arms before getting up.
“Come on then.” Aria said, taking his hand and leading him into the bedroom. Aria shut the door and set Mia down on the bed as she changed while Vic got into bed. Aria slid under the covers next to him, facing him as she wrapped herself around his body.
“Do you have plans for tomorrow?” Vic asked. Aria laughed then.
“Vic honey, I never have plans, I go with the flow.” She responded as Vic slid his fingers slowly down her spine, sending up goosebumps.
“Well I think Mike wants to take you out, would you be good with that?” He asked, tracing patterns on her thigh. Aria scooted closer to him so that their bodies were completely touching, no space between them.
“I’d be fine with that, he’s going to be my brother soon.” Aria said, resting her forehead on Vic’s and breathing softly out, her eyes closing as Vic ran his hands in between her legs. Aria shifted again, so she was on top of him. Vic slid his hands down her back again, studying her face as she looked down on him from underneath her hair.
Vic pushed himself onto his arms so he was sitting up, his face in front of hers, then scooted back so his back rested on the headboard, and he pushed Aria’s hair from her face.
“I love you.” He whispered softly, gently kissing her. Aria shifted, settling against his side with a sigh of content.
“I love you too.” Aria smiled, running her fingers over his chest and kissing his neck before flopping down onto the bed and rolling over, putting her back to him. “Night time!” She chirped and yanked the covers around her.
“You are like the weather sometimes.” Vic sighed. “One minute, you’re warm and sunny, and the next, frosty.” Aria snickered, then flipped back over so she was facing him again, her eyes glittering even in the dark.
“You wouldn’t love me if I wasn’t, I’d be plain and boring.” Aria answered, stretching over him, resting her head on his chest, listening to his heart.
“No one is plain or boring.” Vic answered, easing his arms around her as she yawned and snuggled against him.
“I suppose not.” She yawned, looking up at him. “But now we need to sleep.” Vic shook his head and smiled at her, but turned onto his side, tucking her against him as he rested his cheek on hers and breathed out.
The next morning, Aria woke up to someone pounding on the door over and over again, sounding more like they were trying to break down the door, instead of just knocking. Aria shifted, lifting her head up, realizing Vic was gone and she had taken over the spot he was just in. She sat up and stared at the door before getting up and pulling on a pair of shorts before opening the door up and ducking Mike’s fist.
“Good morning to you too.” She said with a smile.
“Jesus, I’ve been pounding on the door for about five minutes. I started out with this really awesome rhythm, and then I started just hitting it, then full out pounding.” Mike told her. “Are you ready to go?”
“Does it look like I am?” Aria asked. Mike shook his head. “Let me shower, then change, and we’ll go. Where are we going anyways?”
“It’s a surprise, now go shower.” He ordered. Aria ducked under his arm and went into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her and turning on the water before stepping in.
Meanwhile, Mike walked into the kitchen, where Vic was sitting at the table, reading the paper and drinking coffee while Mia walked around the table, nuzzling against him and purring quietly. He looked up as Mike came in and poured himself a cup.
“Where are you taking her?” Vic asked as Mike leaned against the counter and took a sip.
“Out to eat, shopping, you know, the usual.” He answered, moving to sit across from him. “How long do you need us gone?”
“Until this shit is sorted out.” Vic sighed then, rubbing his temples. “Hopefully it’s all set by the time you get back.” He looked up at Mike. “Take good care of her. She means a lot to me.”
“You’re so cheesy for her.” Mike laughed. “But I will. I like her too you know, she really brings out the best of you.”
They sat in silence for a moment, watching Mia as she leapt onto the counter, poking around the coffee pot. Aria came in a second later, pulling on her jacket. Vic studied her in those moments, watching as she pulled her hair off to the side, then turned to look at Mike.
“You ready?” She asked him, glancing at Vic, who smiled weakly at her before turning to stare down into his mug. Mike got up with a flourish and walked over to her.
“Let’s go kid.” He ordered, leading her out the front door, leaving Vic in the silence of an empty house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Working on the next chapter now. Wrapping this one up, probably doing a sequel. We'll see.