Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Forty Two

Vic shook Aria’s shoulder again and she muttered something at him and rolled onto her other side, tugging blankets with her.
“Aria, are you going to get up today or sleep the day away?” He asked, tugging on her earlobe in an effort to annoy her into consciousness.
“Sleeping. My stomach hurts.” Aria grumbled, curling in around herself.
“How does it hurt?” Vic asked, crawling in the bed to lay down behind her.
“It just hurts, I don’t know. Maybe it was something I ate, or something.” She mumbled, closing her eyes and rolling again.
“You sure?”
“Yeah, I’ll come out later.” She said, opening her eyes and looking at him, a slight smile on her face. Vic kissed her cheek, then swung off the bed and pulled on a shirt.
“Me and the boys are going out to shop for you, we’ll be back soon. Call me if you need anything. Don’t answer the door, ok?” He said as he opened the door.
“Ok.” Aria said, curling back up and going back to sleep as Vic shut the door quietly behind him.
--
What seemed like hours later, Aria woke up to an intense cramping in her stomach. She shifted, and felt something run down her leg.
“Fuck.” She muttered, pushing the covers away and finding blood running down her thighs and onto the bed. She got out of bed slowly and tripped into the bathroom, then walked calmly into the kitchen, grabbing her phone off the counter and dialing Vic’s number. He answered on the second ring, his voice filled with concern.
“What’s wrong?” He asked with no prelude.
“Uhm, I think I need to go to the hospital, will you drive me there?” She said, twisting her hair between her fingers.
“You think? Aria, what’s wrong?” Vic said again, his voice growing more concerned.
“Can you just come get me or not?” She asked tiredly, feeling drained.
“I’ll be there in ten minutes. Can you make it that long.” Aria felt herself nodding in response. “Aria!” He barked.
“What? Yeah, I’ll be fine.” She said slowly, then said goodbye and hung up the phone, then headed into the bathroom again, pulling off her shirt and underwear and getting into the shower, cleaning the blood from her legs.
She got out and got dressed, putting a pad on and heading back out, looking at the blood trail, feeling oddly detached. She thought about cleaning it up, but shook her head and sat down on the couch.
Vic came in about eight minutes later, opening the door. Aria looked over at him and blinked slowly, then stood up.
“Let’s go.” She said quietly as Mike, Tony and Jaime all pushed in.
“What’s wrong Aria?” Vic asked as she walked to the door, he put a hand in front of her and looked at her steadily.
“Talk in the car.” Tony said suddenly. “She really doesn’t look good.” Vic studied her for a moment, then put an arm around her and led her out, shutting the door behind her.
“She’s bleeding. That’s not good.” Tony said as the room fell silent. He pointed to the blood drops on the floor and Jaime let out a long breath.
“Shit.” Mike muttered, sitting on the couch and putting his face in his hands.
~~
Vic paced the floor of the hallway, waiting impatiently. Finally, the doctor opened the door and stepped out, shutting the door behind him. Vic was in front of him before the latch clicked.
“Is she ok?” He asked, the words tumbling from his mouth.
The doctor took a deep breath, taking a moment to pull his gloves up, not looking at Vic.
“Is she ok?” He repeated, enunciating the words.
“She’s fine, but she lost the baby.” The doctor finally said. Vic leaned back, letting out a long breath and covering his face, rubbing his eyes. “Has she been under a lot of stress?”
“Uhm, she had some sort of panic attack a few days ago, and then her abusive ex-boyfriend showed up while I wasn’t there and probably scared her.” Vic said, staring at the door, wanting to be with her more than anything.
“When the body is under stress, it can cause the pregnancy to terminate, which I’m guessing is what happened. We’re going to keep her here overnight for observation, but she can go home tomorrow if everything is alright.”
“Can I see her now?” Vic asked, glancing at the doctor, who nodded. Vic thanked him and pushed into the room. Aria looked up from staring down at her hands and burst into tears, sobbing great huge breaths. Vic all but ran to her and took her hands in his before she tugged free and threw herself into his arms as much as possible, sobbing that she was sorry, so sorry.
“It’s not your fault, its ok.” Vic whispered, rubbing her back and gripping her as tight as he dared, afraid he was going to hurt her.
“I’m so sorry.” She sobbed once more and Vic held her at arm’s length then, glaring into her eyes.
“It’s not your fault. Shit like this happens. We’re going to get through it. I’m ok, you’re ok, and we’re both going to be ok together.” Aria nodded slowly, tears beginning to glaze her eyes again. “No, no crying, no more tears.” Vic said. “And no more apologizing.” Vic said as Aria opened her mouth. She shut it again and leaned back in the bed.
“Can I just go home?” She asked quietly.
“Not yet, you have to stay here tonight, but I’ll be right here with you, the whole night. I promise.” He said, kissing her forehead.
“Don’t leave me.” She said suddenly, locking her gaze with his.
“I will never leave you. I would have to be dragged away by five thousand men and tied to a rock for days, and I would still find my way back to you.” Vic told her then, kissing her again.
“Promise?” Aria asked, a light smile on her face.
“I promise. But, I have to step outside the room and make a call to Mike to let him know what’s going on. They’ve been blowing up my phone since we left. They’re worried about you too.”
“They’re my Mexican mafia, of course they are.” Aria said, tears pricking her eyes again. Vic wiped them away and kissed her cheeks.
“I’ll be right back, ok?” Vic said, then stepped into the hallway, pulling out his phone.
~~
“Here” Mike said, handing Aria a pair of sweatpants and one of Vic’s old button down shirts as they walked in.
“Mike, honey, neither of these are mine. Both of these are Vic’s.” She said as she looked at the clothes.
“You’re both short, they’ll be fine.” He said, waving her off. “How’re you feeling now?”
“Well, I don’t feel like I’m going to heave my guys anywhere, but I feel empty.” She said slowly, gauging how to put the phrase.
“I understand, it’s rough. Not that I’ve lost a kid but, I’m just going to stop talking.” Mike said. “We’ll let you get dressed. I’m sure you want to get out of here.” Aria nodded in response and Mike stepped out. Vic had remained at the nurses’ station, filling out her discharge papers. Aria stepped out with a big sigh and right into Vic’s arms when he saw her. He held her close, trying to give her as much strength as he could.
“What are you wearing?” Vic asked when she finally stepped back. Aria looked down, as if she forgot what she was wearing and gave him a weak smile.
“Mike didn’t know which drawers were mine, and he was in a rush to get here, so he just grabbed these.” She said, taking Vic’s hand in hers as they headed from the hospital, Mike leading them.
“You ok?” Vic whispered as they stepped into the daylight.
“Fine.” She murmured.
~~
Three months later
~~
Vic sat with his face in his hands, eyes closed. He lifted the glass of jack up to his lips, then set it back down with a heavy sigh.
“Vic, hello, are you planning on getting dressed?” Mike asked from behind him, causing Vic to flinch.
“Yeah, sure.” He said quietly.
“Are you drinking? At seven in the morning? Dude, pull it together.” Mike said, walking to the fridge and pulling out orange juice.
“I don’t care Mike. She’s gone. She left me. That’s all I know and all I care about right now and I need to numb to pain.”
“Come on Vic.” Mike said, sitting down across from him. “I know this sucks, but she needs some time.”
“Let me know how it feels when you lose the love of your life.” Vic snapped.
“She’s living with Tony and Jaime, who tell you how she is every day.”
“But she isn’t with me, and sometimes I wonder if she is ever going to come back.”
“You got to give her time. She lost a kid. She feels like she let you down, even though you’re just glad she’s alive. Let her realize this.”
Vic didn’t say anything, choosing instead to stand up and walk away from Mike, heading back upstairs, falling into his bed and laying there, letting the room spin.
~~
Four weeks later
~~
Aria walked up the stairs and to the door, pausing and taking a deep breath before ringing the doorbell and stepping back to wait.
After a few moments she rang the doorbell again, looking at the driveway to see both Mike’s car and Vic’s truck. She heard footsteps coming back and the door swung open to reveal Mike, standing and staring at her in his underwear, hair all messy, blinking his eyes blearily. He squinted at her, blinking slowly.
“Please tell me you’re looking for Vic.” Mike finally said with a yawn. Aria looked around and crossed her arms.
“Yeah. I am.” She said finally.
“Thank god. He’s upstairs, sleeping off another night of ridiculous drinking.” Mike said. “Not moderate fun drinking like we used to, this is heavy, hiding the shit and drinking in the shower drinking.” Mike leaned close to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Please, don’t hurt him.”
“I’m not planning on it. Where’s his room?” She asked a light smile on her face.
“Upstairs to the right. Second door.” Aria nodded her thanks and slipped off her shoes, climbing the stairs slowly, remembering then how she had met him, and how they had fallen in love. She reached his door, resting her hand on the door knob and took a deep breath before quietly opening the door.
Vic was sprawled out on his bed, asleep. A bottle of Jack was on the nightstand next to him, along with a bottle of beer that was empty. She walked over and picked up the bottle, swishing the contents around. He had left about a third in there. She sat down on the bed and placed a hand on his shoulder. He stirred and muttered her name, curling his hand into a fist around his pillow.
“Vic.” She whispered, shaking his shoulder. “Wake up.” Vic opened his eyes slowly at her voice and lifted his head, turning to look at her.
“Why are you here again?” He muttered, his voice still slurring. Aria felt her heart squeeze. “Didn’t you torment me enough last night? Do I need to try and drown you more?” He asked, grabbing for the Jack. Aria grabbed his wrist as he tried to reach past her, and looked him in the eyes.
“I’m actually here, sitting on your bed. I’m going to go downstairs and let you sober up a little bit before we talk, ok?” She dropped his wrist and stood up.
“Wait, no. If you’re really here, come lay down with me. Take off your clothes and come lay with me.” He said, his voice faint. “If you’re real, show me.”
Aria sighed and shut the door, locking it behind her. She stripped off her pants and shirt and got into bed next to him. He watched her warily, his eyes clouded from the alcohol. He reached out and touched her cheek, then moved closer to her. Aria closed her eyes, welcoming his touch. He wrapped his arms around her, resting his head in between her shoulder and neck.
“Oh god, it’s really you.” He moaned, tightening his hold on her. “You finally came back to me.”
“I told you I would, I just needed time. Go to sleep.” She murmured, wrapping herself around him, allowing herself the comfort she had forced away for so long.
“Will you still be here?” Vic asked, looking up at her, his eyelids already at half-mast. Aria nodded in response and Vic put his head back down with a sigh. Aria allowed sleep to pull her down as well.
~~
Aria awoke to Vic running his hands through her hair and down her cheek, then over her chest and stomach and legs. She opened her eyes and looked at him, rolling onto her back and into the crook of his arm.
“Hey.” He said quietly.
“Hi.” Aria whispered back.
“You’re really here, along with a killer headache and a dry mouth.” Vic said with a smile. Aria smiled up at him.
“I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I’m sorry I took so long.” Vic shook his head and cupped her cheek, running his thumb over her lips.
“I’m sorry I pushed you into thinking that was the only way to heal.” He answered. Aria stretched up, hooking an arm around his neck and dragging his mouth to hers, kissing him.
“I’m an idiot, and I really hope you can forgive me.” She sighed against his lips.
“I feel like you had so much more to say to me, but I don’t care.” Vic said.
“One more thing,” Aria said, pushing away from him and sitting up on the bed. The sun was setting, and it settled behind her, framing her in the light. “Will you still marry me? I want to be stuck with you for the rest of my life, no matter what happens.” She looked down on him with a hopeful smile.
Vic sat up as well, clasping her hands in his. He stared at her for a long, hard moment, then dropped her hands.
“Aria Torres, did you really have to ask that? Do you honestly think that I would just let you slide away from me so easily?”
“Is that a yes then?” Aria asked hopefully.
“No, that is a ‘you bet your sweet ass’.” He said, and then tackled her to the mattress, kissing her repeatedly.
~~
Vic opened the door slowly, letting Aria out and into the silent apartment. He beckoned her to follow him downstairs, where they heard the TV and Tony and Jaime laughing.
As they came down, Tony and Jaime looked up and greeted them.
“Glad to see you two back together.” Jaime said, saluting them with his drink. Mike came in from the kitchen and clapped them both on the back.
“Now that you’re all in here, we’d like to tell you something.” Vic said, looping his arm around Aria’s waist, tucking her against his side.
“We set a date for our wedding.” Aria said when the guys all turned to look at them. “Even though we were apart for two months, and we haven’t been together for a super long time, we just know it’s going to work.”
“Yeah, yeah, so when are you getting married?” Jaime asked, leaning over Tony.
“Yeah and who’s the best man Vic?” Mike chimed in.
“It’s not going to be for another year, since we leave on tour for a while in a few weeks, and we need time to get it all set up.” Vic answered. “And we’re not doing a conventional wedding; instead I’m going to have three best men.”
“Unless one of you wants to be my maid of honor.” Aria said with a devilish grin. Jaime looked at Mike and Tony.
“Would we have to wear a dress?” Jaime asked.
“Of course. But you’d get to look nice; although you wouldn’t look as nice as me.” Aria answered.
“Gonna pass then.” Jaime said, leaning back and turning his attention back to the TV.
Aria shrugged then, knowing this was the kind of reception they were going to get. All of them knew Aria and Vic would get back together.
“Want to go get dinner?” Vic asked, leaning closer to her. Aria nodded and wrapped her hand in his.
“Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
OK. So I said this was the last chapter, right?

Well, I had so much to wrap up that I've decided to do an epilogue before I start the next one.
Yay!