Status: Editing Finished 2-4-13

Courageous

A Girl on Fire Part 1: And So it Begins

Steamed rolled off the ice as I stepped onto the rink for a training session. My first stride sent me gliding across the unused surface, then another and another and I was flying toward the other end. Catching the puck on the blade of my stick, I circled around the bottom of the net my body reacting on instincts honed over years of practice. At that moment, I couldn't describe anything that I loved more than hockey. It's my passion. It’s what I do. It has become my everything. Without it, I wouldn't be who I am today. Winding up, I prepare to strike the puck, to send a clapper right into the net. On the follow through, a shrill ting fell upon my ears as the puck hit the cross bar.

"Dammit!" I hissed and slapped the ice in frustration. How was I going to get to sign to any NHL team if I couldn't make a fucking open net goal?

"107.8 mpr." Announced my former coach, Jerry York as he read the speed of my shot off the speedometer, "That's about what Chara's hardest shot was at the All Star Skills Competition last season."

I didn't acknowledge him as I skated over to the bench to get a bucket of puck. Dumping them out onto the ice, I lined them up on the blue line. I needed perfection and not anything less. If I couldn't make the puck go in without a goalie, how was I supposed to get the biscuit in the basket when there was a net minder in the way? Letting my desire consume me, I skated back beyond neutral ice on the other side of the rink. Inhaling, deeply, I focused all of my energy to my hips, that's where my speed was generated from before I charged toward the first puck. Driving my stick, I sent it to the empty net with a thunderous clash. Doubling back, I repeated the process again and again until I got every puck in every single time. Immersed in my training, I didn't hear Coach York's phone ring as I sent a clapper straight through the net.

"Hammer!!!"

Whirling around to face the bench, I saw him holding his phone out for me to take. I sent him a questioning scowl as I skated over to retrieve it, ripping off one my gloves and tucking it under my arm in the process.

"It's for you." The man informed me, his lips turning up into a smile at least a country mile wide.

"Obviously," I snorted as I took the phone from him and held it up to my ear, "This better be important, York. I've got training to do."

"Oh, this is very important." The voice of an older man informed me, "This is Mickayla Hammer I am speaking to, correct? You played for four years under Jerry York."

"The one and only. Unless, there's another Mickayla Hammer that I don't know about." I sarcastically informed the man, aimlessly skating around the rink, "May I ask who I am speaking to?"

The man on the other ended chuckled slightly at my tone before introducing himself, "Miss. Hammer, my name is Glen Sather and I’m the current General Manager of the New York Rangers. I am pleased to be the first to inform you that the New York Rangers Organization would like to extend to you an invitation to our upcoming training camp for the 2011-2012 season."

Digging the toe of my blade into the ice, I skidded to a halt almost dropping Jerry's phone and falling flat on my face in the process,” You’re shittin' me!"

"No, Miss. Hammer, I am not shitting you. When the scouting team and I came across the stats on your profile, we were truly impressed. Your list of achievements isn't too shabby either. After watching film on you; we, unanimously, agreed that you are just the type of player we are looking for to strength up our blue line."

Clasping to my knees at center ice as Sather's words sank in, I felt my chest tighten from the utter shock that I was trying to overcome. I had never expected a team to call so soon into the off season, I had been informed by my agent that most GMs usually waited until free agent dead line to start they started to invite undrafted players to training camp. I was almost speechless, almost,

"I'm honored, sir. I can't believe that you're giving me this offer considering-"

"Considering that you're a woman?" Sather finished for me; "As far as, you could be a monkey as far as I am concerned because after John Tortorella looked at your stats an film, he declared in no uncertain terms that you could be the next Steve Yzerman."

Amazed at his revelation, I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. I had to pinch myself to make sure that this wasn't a dream. Gathering myself, I denied that statement,

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, sir, but there's no way I could be the next Yzerman. No one can replace or become such a great like him."

"Spoken like the humble girl Jerry told us you were. He also of informed us of your involvement in the United Way organization and the Live United projects you participated in. Your leadership on and off the ice combine with your desire to help others is just what we are looking for in our prospects. That's why we'd love to have you." Sather told me.

"Well, Mr. Sather, when does training camp start?" I inquired, sitting Indian style at center ice.

"Does this mean that you will accept our invitation?" The man questioned back.

"That's what I am saying. So when does it start?" I asked again, wanting to get to the point so that I could find an apartment to rent, at least temporarily. The man rattled off a bunch of dates and times, but then excused himself and told me that he would email it to Coach York, so that I could have the full schedule.

After thanking him, I ended the call unable to control the smile that was spreading across my lips. Cautiously, I skated over to the bench and gave Coach York his phone back before I dashed to the other end of the rink as fast as I could and threw my hands into the air,

"I'M GONNA BE A FUCKIN' NEW YORK RANGER!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!"

Applause and laughter filled the rink as my exclamation echoed throughout the rink. I felt on top of the world and that no one could stop me.

'The New York Rangers General Manager, Glen Sather has just announced that the club will be signing Boston College's star defenseman, Mickayla Hammer to a one year, entry level contract. The organization has yet to state whether she will start off playing for their AHL affiliate the Connecticut Whale or if she will have a spot on their 23 man roster for the 2011-12 season.'

The T.V. merely provided back ground noise in my nearly empty downtown Manhattan studio style apartment as I attempted to finish unpack the rest of my belongings. It brought of memories of moving into the dorm my freshman year at BC, the only part missing was my roommate... Yeah, that was what I needed to make this place my home!

Tripping over a random box that I had left in the middle of the living room floor, I dashed for my iPhone knowing exactly who to call. Dialing the number, she answered by the second tone,

"Hey, hot shot, how's the Big Apple treatin' you?"

Her cheery voice brought a smile to my lips and I realized that I had truly missed her. Even though we had just spent the first two weeks after graduating on a road trip with some of the guys on the west coast.

"It's amazing, Mandy! You should totally be here right now." I informed her,

"You should see the lights! I can see Broadway from my apartment!"

"Lucky bitch! All I can see is green pasture as far as the eye can see!" She mumbled on the other end.

"You know you can come visit me whenever you want..." Pausing, I toyed with the idea of teasing her with the offer to see the sights, but i really just wanted to get to the point. The faster I asked the faster her ass would be on a plane and on her way here,

"Well, scratch that I have a better idea. There's a spare bed with your name on it. Why don't you come out here and live with me?"

"Are you shittin' me?" Mandy asked, seriously.

"No, I'm not! My apartment is so empty right now it's depressing! Plus I feel so lonely since I don't really know anyone." I explained to her, flopping on the hand-me-down couch my parents had given to me to take with me to Boston.

"I don't know, Mickie-,” She sounded rather unsure of my grand idea.

"C'mon, Mandy, you're best friend. I need you here to kept my head from falling off." I coaxed her, sweetly.

"Lord knows you need me." She chuckled.

"So you'll come?" I knew I was wearing her down at this point all I had to do was play my trump and I knew I'd have a roommate by the end of the week,

"How does a free season pass to every Rangers home game sound?"

Oh, yes, now she was hooked.

"Do I get to meet Marc Staal? You know how I've got a thing for gingers." She inquired, wanting more of a reward than just season passes.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I sighed. Oh boy, did that girl have a thing for gingers. Ron Wesley was definitely her favorite,

"Yeah, of course! He's gonna be my teammate!"

"I'm in!" She finally agreed, which cause me to squeal in delight.

"You're in?" I confirmed, still jumping around my living room like a kangaroo on steroids.

"TOTALLY!!! I'M COMING TO FUCKIN' NEW YORK FUCKIN' CITY!!" She squealed, "I'm gonna go buy my plane ticket and start packing. I'll txt you the details. K. Bye."

Smirking to myself as I ended the call, I ran over to my window and opened it before shouting out to the rest of Manhattan,

"MICKAYLA FUCKING HAMMER IS HERE TO OWN YOU BITCHES!!!!"

Below me several people hurdled up insults, most of which were variations of 'Shut the fuck up.' But that didn't bother me any. I was gonna be a fucking star and none of them could do anything about it!

'The 5'9", 135 lbs. defenseman set several all-time records for the Eagles over her four year career as a defenseman. She dominated in all aspects of the game and is truly an extremely diverse player. She seems to have a lot potential to become a very prominent player in the league.'

The NHL network began to play clips of the Eagles NCAA 2010 Frozen Four run and the Championship game against Wisconsin, highlighting the key plays made by Mickayla Hammer.

'Yes, there is some potential there but does she have the durability to play 15- 20 minutes a game for 82 plus games if you include playoffs? To me, she lacks the overall size required to be a dominant defenseman in the NHL.' Jaffe's co-host, Mike Johnson contradicted.

'I think she has plenty of intangibles in her arsenal to make up for her lack size and even then if you look at some footage from her WHL career with the Vancouver Giants, she lead the team as a very physical player, she had more penalty minutes and fighting majors than anyone else on the team. Her time in Boston taught her to use her excellent vision on the ice to create scoring opportunities. She has been a very valuable spark plug for any team she was been a part."

"Oh my god! This is where you live?!" Mandy gasped in awe of the empty canvas that I called home. Chucking at her, I shook my head and shut the door behind us,

"No, it's your home to. By the way, you owe me your portion of last months rent!" I joke with her, which earned me her patented death glare in return.

"Bitch."

Rolling my eyes at her, I kicked one of her massive suite cases that had been stuffed full with all her belongs.

"Let's get you unpacked."

Mandy nodded, eagerly in agreement to my suggestion as we drug her bags toward her empty room.

Several hours later, we had finally gotten everything her situated and everything rearranged to accommodate her things. Posters and picture collages of four amazing years we had been roommates at Boston College now covered the previously blank brick walls. My trophies had even found a home on top of the bookshelf I had purchased from WalMart the day before moving in. As I flopped onto the coach with an ice-cold beverage in hand, I finally felt like things were coming to together for me in this city.

Being finally able to relax, I turned my attention to the plasma flat screen that was now mounted on the wall. The NHL Network was on and guess who they were talking about.... ME! For some reason, me joining the NHL is such a big deal!

'Intangibles or not, she still is up for a rude awakening when she finds herself up against some of the top forwards of the league, like Claude Giroux or Evgeni Malkin, both of whom are in the Atlantic division. Not mention other physical players such as Zdeno Chara and Alexander Ovechkin. She'll need an iron chore to survive in the Eastern Conference let alone the entire league.'

Rolling my eyes, I changed the channel to 'That 70's Show'. I couldn't take listening to them talk about how me being female and that my size who destroy me. I knew that most of my new teammates felt the same way I was determined to make them see the error of their ways!"

*General POV*

The Madison Square Garden Training Center was a bustling hub of activity as Rangers Organization prepared for their 2011-12 training camp. The recent signing of Mickayla Hammer and the media shit storm of that had followed in her wake had left head coach, John Tortorella mentally exhausted. Her signing had left the entire hockey community in uproar; many former coaches, former players, analysts, and fans all threw out their varying opinions. Not one person had ever caused such a commotion and the preseason hadn't even begun. She was the individual have ever signed an entry-level contract after only having been observed in a single workout. John thought that management was making a rash decision signing her before they had seen how she interacted and meshed with the rest of the team. She was certainly talented, but during his tenure with the Rangers, he had yet to deal with a player so polarizing that she even made Sean Avery's ludicrous exploits look tame. He had heard of her reputation as a physical player and had seen it's true extents as he studied film of the young woman that had been sent to him by both the Vancouver Giants and Boston College Eagles in order to gauge the best coaching style to approach her with.

To his surprise, he found that she was a very coachable player, who only did what she deemed needed done in order to change the momentum in favor of her team. She was also a very well spoke young lady, who appeared to have a level head on her shoulders. Her down fall would be her pretty face and blonde locks that cascaded down to the middle of her back, and if he knew his locker room and he most certainly did, it would be like throwing a hen in a rooster house, the bachelors would be clamoring for her attention. He feared she wouldn't be able to handle herself with them.

The clicking of heels on the linoleum-tiled floor brought the middle aged man out of his thoughts and he looked up to a young woman in a navy fitted blazer and cream colored dress pants headed in his direction. As she moved closer towards his position, he was surprised to find that her stature wasn't model tin and sleek as the media had made her out to be. No, this woman was wide-based and curvy, certainly a body that was made for taking big hits and dealing them back with just as much force.

"So you must be our lady?" He couldn't help but chuckle at how awkward his question sounded upon his ears.

The young woman nodded with a professional smile as she extended her hand out to his, "It certainly appears to be that way, doesn't it? It's a pleasure to receive such a great opportunity to be able to play hockey for the Rangers, sir."

Tortorella smiled at her statement, as her enthusiasm was unable to be hidden behind her gracious tone before he dared her,

"Are you up for the challenge?"

Mickayla's blue eyes met his squarely as before straightened her posture and answered, soundly,

"More than you know, sir."

Tortorella smiled and clasped his hands together,

"That's what I was hoping you'd say. Ready to meet the team?"

Mickayla extended her arm motioning him to lead the way, which he did so with mental fortitude as he prayed, silently, that she would stick to her guns when she entered the dressing room.

The chaos of the first day of training camp was something that a veteran such as Henrik Lundqvist had grown used to as he watched familiar faces enter the locker room and take their usual places, playful bantering had already begun amongst close friends within the team. The notable new faces that had been added to the team were forwards Brad Richards and Mike Rupp, both of who would make the team much more sound from a scoring position. He was familiar with them having experience playing against them while playing against their respective former teams.

However, the greater unknown to be added to the team's defense was a woman and one who seemed to have a reputation similar to some of the league's top defenseman. He feared she would cause locker room drama and thus bring the team down because of her femininity. Most of guys were young and unattached, so her presence would certainly have them vying for her affections. Part of him hoped, much to his own mental chagrin that she wouldn't be as stunning as the media portrayed her to be. That she was some sort butch or lesbian. Unfortunately, those possibilities dissolved once he had googled her and being the gentleman that he was, he was going protect her from the hormonal scum that his teammates could be.

The door to the dressing room opened and the entire room turned their attention towards it as Coach Tortorella walked a serious expression etched on his facial features. He studied his team for a moment or two before he opened his mouth to speak,

"Boys, as you all know by now, the Rangers front office has decided to take on a challenge that will either revolutionize the sport or bring mockery upon the team by signing a young woman by the name of Mickayla Hammer."

*Mickayla's POV*

Taking a deep breath, I walked into the New York Rangers locker room observing the reactions of the men, who were now seated at the cubbies preparing for the first day of training camp. The entire room was tense, all of them waiting to see what I would do first. Glancing Brian Boyle, I was comforted to know that I wasn't going to be the only former Eagle amongst their ranks.

"Is this some sort of joke?"

The arrogant, Sean Avery was the first to speak, but it seemed as though he thought he was speaking for the entire team. Man, I REALLY hate that prick. The guy was an elitist and had no right to think that he was so. At some point, I hoped that someone would put that bastard in his place for good and I hoped that I would be there to watch it happen.

Sighing, I understood how most of them doubt me and that all the media coverage that had followed my signing would lead some of them to believe that this was indeed some sort of joke. I hoped deep down that most of them would wait to judge who I really was by my efforts on the ice.

"No, I assure you. She is the real deal. In fact, Marc Staal, you better watch out or you might lose your starting position." Tortorella warned the young ginger, which was still recovering from a concussion that his older brother Eric had so kindly bestowed upon him last season.

A smirk found it's upon my lips as I remembered my deal. I also had to admit I relished the prospect of taking Marc Staal starting position away from him. It would be a challenge that I would work towards the hardest. I noticed Marc gulped when the severity of coach's words finally registered in his mind. Boy, that concussion his brother gave him must've rattled his brain more than I thought...

Coach Tortorella looked to as if silently saying that if I had anything to say to the team that I better say it now while I had their unwavering attention. Breathing deeply, I scratched my forearm, nervously as I made a vow to the team that had been forced to take upon my burden,

"Look, I know, this is going to be a huge adjustment for all of you and that you are unsure of my motives, but I assure you that I am willing to give 100% of myself to this team if you are willing to trust me. I promise I will not hinder your team, like some of you seem to think."

A silence came over the room as the team digested my declaration. Starting goalie, Henrik Lundqvist quickly caught my eye and gave me an approving nod. Part of me was extremely relived that such a key player for the team was so willing to accept me as a part of the team.

"Mickayla-" He began with a smile, his thick accent heavy in his voice as he addressed the rest of the team and me.

"I believe that I speak for the entire team when I say that I am looking forward to seeing what you bring to the table on the ice."

I nodded and took his hand in mine with a firm grip; unable to stop a full toothy grin now decorated my face. However, I didn't have a chance to speak because coach declared it was time to move to the ice. I tensed up as all the players began to shuffle out of the dressing room past me. Henrik noticed this as he after he had retrieved his helmet. As he walked past her, he laid a gloved hand upon my shoulder and gave it a squeeze,

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. Now get dressed or coach won't be very happy."

His words jerked me out of my daze, seeing as I had forgotten that he was still standing next to me when Coach made his announcement. I felt my face warm up as I thanked him for his kind words,

"Thanks, Henrik."

He waved me off,

"Mickayla, please, call me Hank, everyone else does."

I nodded and walked over to my new stall to put on my practice gear, informing the Swede from over my shoulder that he had the same curtsey with me,

"The name's Mickie."

Hank chuckled and made his was out to the practice rink with a smug smile because he knew thing were about to get interesting.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I stalked down the runaway toward the practice rink to join my new team on the ice. Only seconds, after stepping onto the ice, I was greeted with a forecheck, curtsey of Brandon Dubinsky as the rest of the players skated a few warm up laps around me. Absorbing the hit was easier said than done as he sent me into the boards with bruising force. A snide remark from Sean Avery only added insult to injury as he passed by, any other day I would've have given him a douse of his own medicine but I decided against starting a fight with the mouthy forward.

It became clear that I was on my own out here and that I was going to have to prove myself to them and show them that I wasn't some little girl that they could pick on. So I took my lumps and stayed on the outside of the circle as newly appointed team captain, Ryan Callahan, led the team with some stretches.

After that Tortorella called for some break-in drills on a penalty kill just sort the line. He paired myself up with Michael Del Zotto, his dark hair and goofy expression reminded me scarcely of my Boston College partner Tommy Cross.

We would be defending back-up goaltender, Martin Biron. The forwards on my side were Brad Richards, Mike Rupp, and John Mitchell. After the puck dropped as Callahan, Avery, and Boyle charged toward Michael and I in an attempt to break through their defenses.

"Take Boyle!" I shouted at my partner as skated out to meet Avery. I'd show him whose boss, right now. Everyone else helped to double teamed Callahan and Boyle, and I made
it a point to stick on Avery's ass and shut down every opportunity that came his way.

In fact, I was able to jump a pass headed his way and send the puck back down toward Hank's net. I capitalized on another opportunity when Callahan was handling the puck along the boards as sent him a hip check with a warning,

"Heads up, Captain."

With that I skated down the ice, to help keep her line on offense and made sure to that I worked my ass off to make more scoring chances for my team. I only let myself rest when I rotated out. Glancing around my teammates, I held a glimmer of hope that my efforts were making an impact on their opinions of me.

"Hey, Hammer, how'd you jump that pass on Avery?" Del Zotto asked as parked himself at my side along the boards.

Was this guy serious? How long had he been a defenseman? Turning over pucks was apart of our criteria. But seeing as I was the new guy I decided it wasn't the best idea to lecture him about knowing one's position. Instead, I just shrugged him off

"I just cut him off, you know? It set me up to intercept the pass."

"Yeah, I know that, but how'd you know Callahan was gonna send the puck his way?" The twenty-one year old inquired.

"Boyle was being doubled teamed and it would've been pointless to send it back to Sauer or Scott. He needed to penetrate our D and Avery was in the best position to do that. I saw that and jumped." I explained, turning my attention back toward the drill at hand.

Practice wound down with a couple shooting drills as players took turns pelting the net-minders on either end and I was proud to say that I had been able to slip two pucks past Hank, one was a high stick-side wrister and the other was a low glove-side snap shot. His nod of approval told me that I was doing something right.

Tortorella gathered everyone around at the end of practice,

"First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their effort today. Tomorrow, we will be in the meeting room to go over our upcoming matchup against the Devils on the 21st. Be there at 10:30 a.m. sharp. After that, be prepared to skate your hearts."

I, barely, managed to suppress a shiver at the idea of a conditioning practice, there nothing I hated or enjoyed more than skating her heart up and down the nice. To hear the blood pumping in my ears and feeling the pain burning in my legs as I exerted my beyond my limits.

Tomorrow I would show them just how much endurance I possessed and how I was going to out work them all in order to gain some respect!

Once I was seated in cubby, which was in between Boyle and Del Zotto, I began tearing off my gear. I didn't notice the stares I had earned until I had stripped down to my under armor. Looking up, I was met with wide eyes from most of the guys and I smirked at them,

"Please, tell me, this isn't the first time that you've all seen a girl change before? I know that none of you are virgins, so stop acting like one!"

Laughter erupted in the room at my words, glancing over at Hank, I, too, couldn't but laugh because of his surprised expression. Smiling to myself, I could t help but think that there was a good possibility that I was going to fit in just fine with the Rangers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mickayla's Outfit

Thanks for reading!