Sequel: Ever After
Status: FINISHED! Please check out the sequel, Ever After if you want more!

Fix Me

I Feel So Ashamed

“Kali, sweetheart, wake up. You have visitors.” Kali’s mother, Collette, cooed from her bedside, gently shaking her daughter.
Slowly and with a groan, Kali sat up in bed and blinked a few times. Her brown hair was a mess and she looked dazed. Finally, her eyes found her mother’s face and some understanding of her surroundings sunk in.
“I have what?” she asked in a creaky voice.
“Chelsea and Alice are here. They said you’re going dress shopping with them for the winter dance. I’m glad you’re going this year, Kal! You’re going to have so much fun.” Collette clapped her hands together and grinned. “I put some money on your computer desk for you to take in case you need extra.”
“Oh,” Kali sighed, relaxing back onto her pillow. She’d forgotten about dress shopping. “Thanks, mom. Tell them I’ll be ready soon.”
“Alright, sweetie. I’ll put some coffee in a mug for you to take.” With that, Collette closed the door behind her and walked down the hallway.
Groaning, Kali got herself out of her warm cocoon of blankets and undressed. She threw on some yoga pants and a loose pink shirt. Running to the bathroom, she yanked a brush through her knotted, long hair, brushed her teeth and put some mascara on. She was as ready as she was going to be for a day of shopping with Chelsea and Alice. She hadn’t gone shopping with them in a long time, and there was a good couple reasons why. One, Chelsea and Alice tended to get a little too excited when they entered the fashion world. They critiqued every piece they saw as if they were judges on a fashion show, and when they finally found one they liked, they ooh-ed and ahh-ed over it like it was made in heaven. Two, Kali wasn’t much of a fashion savvy person. She bought what she thought was comfortable or cute, and didn’t much care for trends. She wasn’t poor, so she could afford slightly pricey outfits, but she preferred to not waste her well-earned cash on an abundance of clothes.
Putting on the best smile she could muster, she walked out into the living room, where Chelsea and Alice were sitting cross-legged on the couch. They grinned at her and stood up at the same time. I swear, these girls are twins at heart, Kali thought. Indeed, the two did everything at the same time and together. The only differences between them were their looks. Chelsea was tall, pale and curvy while Alice was short, tan and stick-thin. Kali had wondered more than once if it was Alice’s Bosnian heritage that made her like that, but then remembered she didn’t truly care.
“Well good morning, sunshine!” Chelsea said in too perky of a voice for the time. “Did you really forget about dress shopping?”
“Yeah, I guess I did. Sorry about that.” Kali said sheepishly, grabbing her warm mug of coffee from the kitchen table.
“It’s fine. You’re awake now. Let’s go get some beautiful dresses!” Alice jumped up and down, balancing herself on the balls of her feet. She was a true ballerina.
“Yay.” Kali tried to come off as excited as they were, but even she could taste her falseness on her tongue.
With a final wave goodbye to her mother, Kali departed her house with the two girls. She climbed into the backseat of Chelsea’s Porsche, sliding a bit on the leather material. She wasn’t much of a leather person. However, she bit her tongue and buckled herself into the seat, trying her best to mentally prepare herself for the day. It took a lot more than she thought.
The girls spent a good four hours driving across the city to all the malls and every single dress shop that existed. Kali was tired and exhausted by the end of it all. She was ready to go home empty-handed and just wear something of her mom’s when Chelsea spoke up.
“We have one more stop. If you don’t pick a dress at this one, Kali, there’s no hope for you.” she sighed. Her and Alice had already found their ‘dream dresses’ and it was all up to Kali now.
The three entered a small boutique of designer dresses. It smelled of roses inside, and Kali relaxed a little. She took off her shoes at the front door, as the sign that hung there demanded, and walked into the nearly empty store.
A grinning red-haired man in a crisp grey suit appeared from around a corner and clasped his hands at his chest. “Hello there, how may I help you?” he asked in a much-too-happy voice.
“Our friend is looking for a dress to our high school winter dance,” Alice answered. “She’s very picky.”
“Well, let’s see if we can help you out.” The man smiled wider and led the girls deeper into the store.
There were several racks of dresses lining the walls, and he filed through several of them. He kept looking from the dresses to Kali and back again. Finally, he gasped and began nodding emphatically. Kali raised an eyebrow at the peculiar man, wondering if she should be more concerned than she was. He pulled out a dress that made Chelsea and Alice’s jaws drop. It was about mid-thigh length, strapless, and with different layers. The colours were red and black silk, repeating over and over again. It was cinched at the waist and a sparkling fabric rose settled amidst the layers on the right hip.
“This would look simply gorgeous on you,” the man gushed, holding it out to Kali. “Come with me, you have to try it on!”
“Oh, okay.” Kali followed the man to a dressing room, leaving Chelsea and Alice behind to gush over the dress. It really wasn’t anything too spectacular, she thought.
He ushered her into the dressing room and hung the dress on a hanger for her. “Let me know if you need any help, I’ll be right outside the door.” He pulled the curtain closed, concealing Kali inside.
With a sigh, she undressed and stepped into the dress. She pulled it up easily and felt it fit to her body perfectly. Reaching behind her, she pulled up the zipper without a catch. She looked down at herself and tilted her head. Maybe it wasn’t so bad…
“All done,” she said, pulling the curtain aside.
The man stared at her with his mouth open. “Oh my goodness,” he said, raising a hand to his lips. “You look amazing.”
“Can I see for myself?” she asked politely with a smile. He nodded and grabbed her hand, pulling her out to a mirror. Chelsea and Alice gasped loudly and Kali shook her head at them. It can’t be that great…
She stepped up onto a small platform and lifted her gaze to her reflection. She actually gasped at what she saw. The dress fit her perfectly, and gave her an hourglass figure appearance. Her brown hair complimented it, and it showed enough skin but not too much. She actually felt pretty in it, which was something that rarely happened.
“Wow, Kali, you look beautiful.” Alice whispered, taking in Kali’s stunning form in the mirror.
“Yes, you do! Matt’s going to love it.” Chelsea cooed, lightly touching the fabric rose on Kali’s hip.
Kali chuckled, realizing she’d forgotten about Matt. “Right.”
Chelsea raced back to Kali’s purse and dug out her phone. “I’m going to text him from your phone and let him know he needs a red tie…”
“Chelsea!” Kali hissed. “Don’t you dare.”
“Too late, I just did,” Chelsea smiled with a wink. “You’re welcome.”
“Yes, that’s such a favour.” Kali rolled her eyes and returned her gaze to her reflection.

Josh stumbled along the street, trying his best not to topple over. His eyes were bloodshot and glazed, and his skin was waxy. Everything about him screamed troubled mess, but he paid no attention to that. He just had to get home before his parents skinned him alive again. They’d been on his case like crazy lately for missing so much school and being late for curfew. He could at least try to be on their good side.
Just a few more steps and he’d be home. Then he could slip past his parents to his room in the basement and write more messed up songs while he was still tripping out. He’d quickly learned the heroin gave him a good inspiration to write songs, despite all its negative effects.
“Ramsay, there you are!” a familiar voice called out.
Josh jumped and stumbled back a bit, shocked at the sudden voice. He looked up to see his friend and fellow band mate, Matt Webb, standing a few feet away, just in front of his house.
“You don’t look so good. Where have you been, dude?” Matt asked, stepping closer to Josh.
“I’m fine. I’ve been…around,” Josh lied, forcing a smile. “What are you doing here?”
“I came for band practice. You’ve been AWOL for days, and we really need to practice. So I thought I’d come here and see if you were around.” Matt replied, walking with Josh to his front door. “Mike and Ian are on their way.”
“Oh, oh okay,” Josh nodded, pushing open the door and kicking off his shoes. Quickly he disappeared into the basement and Matt followed him to his room. “I’ve been writing some new songs, you should check them out.” Josh threw his notebook at Matt.
Flipping through the few new entries, Matt frowned. “These songs are…interesting,” he commented.
“Aren’t they? They’re platinum material, I can feel it.” Josh grinned, strumming his guitar.
“Sure, yeah.” Matt nodded with a weak smile at his friend. The songs were confusing and didn’t make any sense. They took on an entirely different form of reality. It was like stepping into Wonderland without Alice.
Soon, two more pairs of feet raced down the carpeted stairs to Josh’s room. Mike and Ian smiled at their friends.
“Hey, guys. Ready to lay down some beats?” Mike asked, taking his bass out of its case.
“It’s been too long.” Ian sighed in contentment, beating his drumsticks against Josh’s desk.
The boys set up in the living room of Josh’s basement and played their way through several songs, nailing them each time. Josh felt the energy coming out of their music, and it ripped through him like an electrical current. It was euphoric to him, every bit of it. And the high from the H only made it better.
“Okay, break time,” Mike called out after their eighth consecutive song. He was sweating like the other boys, and he took a generous gulp from a water bottle.
Matt walked over to his bag that he’d brought along with him and pulled out his phone. Flipping it open he saw a text from Kali. With a smile, he opened it.
Got my dress! Be sure to wear a red tie so we match. See you at the dance, Matthew! Xoxo. It read.
Odd, Matt thought, Kali never calls me Matthew. She never puts ‘xoxo’ either…Oh, well.
Turning back to his friends, he piped up, “Do any of you guys happen to have a red tie?”
“I do, why do you need it?” Josh answered as he set his guitar against the wall.
“For the winter dance.” Matt answered quietly. Here comes the torment…
“Wait, you’re going to the winter dance?” Ian asked incredulously. “You never go to those things.”
“I know, but…my mom wants me to go. Plus, I have a date this time.” Matt could feel the heat rising to his face.
Josh came back from his room, handing Matt a red satin tie. “Who’d be dumb enough to agree to be your date?” he asked with a smirk.
Matt raised an eyebrow while he stuffed the tie into his bag. “Actually, Ramsay, I asked Kali to go with me, and she said yes.”
Josh froze. Had he just heard Matt correctly? Did he say he was taking Kali to the winter dance? No, it couldn’t be. He had to have said Corey or something. Did Josh even know a girl named Corey? No. Suddenly his blue eyes got wide, and his hands clenched into fists. Anger and frustration rose up inside him, nurtured by the heroin, and he could feel it flower in his chest.
“You’re taking…Kali…to the dance?” he asked in a dangerously low voice.
“Yeah, I am.” Matt responded. He looked at Josh perplexedly. “Is that okay?”
Josh laughed maniacally. “Oh, it’s fine. But good luck taking her to a dance when you’re in the hospital.”
“What?”
“I’m going to kill you, you f*cking b*tch!”
Josh lunged at Matt, tackling him to the cement floor. Everything was thrown into chaos in that instant. Josh was pinning Matt to the ground by his throat, trying to strangle him. Mike and Ian were desperately trying to pull him off.
“What…the…f*ck!” Matt choked out.
Ian managed to pry Josh’s fingers from around Matt’s throat, but soon after that Josh delivered a hard punch to Matt’s face. Matt yelped, covering his face with his hands. Mike pulled Josh back and onto his feet, holding his arms behind him. Josh was flailing around, trying to get out of the hold to no avail. All the heroin and puking were making him weak.
“You just stay the f*ck away from Kali, do you hear me?” he yelled at Matt’s shaking form. “Just stay away from her!”
“Josh, what the hell is wrong with you!” Ian yelled back, picking Matt up off the ground. It took a moment, but Matt finally found his footing. He took his hands away from his face, revealing red finger marks on his throat and his right eye was equally red and puffy.
“I’ll tell you what’s wrong with him,” Matt spoke up, throwing his guitar into its case and picking up his bag, “he’s a coward. If you can’t tell a girl you like her, you should expect her to get taken away from you. You’re pathetic, Ramsay. You know that?”
“Shut up, you dick.” Josh spat in Matt’s face, and he wiped it away.
“Oh, I’m the dick? Look at yourself, Josh! You’re wasting away. You won’t tell anyone what the hell is going on with you, and do you want to know something else? When I saw Kali the other day, when I asked her to the dance, she was sitting alone, almost in tears. Do you have any idea why? That’s all your fault.” Matt jabbed Josh hard in the chest with a finger. “You hurt her everyday because you’re the assh*le here. Not me. But, just because I’m a nice guy, when I’m slow dancing with Kali on Friday, I’ll be sure to tell her you say hi. Oh, and thanks for the tie, dick.” Matt stomped up the stairs and slammed the front door behind him.
Mike tossed Josh away, gathering up his own instruments as Ian did the same. “Seriously, Ramsay,” he asked, “what’s gotten into you?”
Josh just stared at the two boys, dumbstruck. He stumbled backwards into the couch, unblinking. What was wrong with him?
After Mike and Ian had left, Josh began to cry. Tears silently fell down his cheeks, unattended to.
I need help…
♠ ♠ ♠
woo! new chapter, kind of another filler, i know. but, don't give up on me yet (talking to you, unsubscriber), this story is about to get a huge drama boost (hint hint) so keep reading! thank you. :3