Status: Complete

Shadow of the Fire

Final Ingredient

Octobras 31, 210t

Romeo Mortanoire paced back and forth inside his room, anxiously thinking of what to do. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a knock on his door. “Who is it?” he called out, but he heard no response. The young man opened his wooden door, and was greeted by a pale emotionless face. The stranger walked past him and closed the door after entering the room. “How dare you! Leave my quarters at once!” Romeo commanded.

“You wouldn’t want that,” the young man said in a soft voice as he leaned his back against the wall.

“Your arrogance, stranger, it annoys me. State your name at once, or I will call the guards.”

“If you’d wish to hear news of your precious Thalin princess, then I suggest you remain silent, yeah?”

Romeo’s face fell for a moment, until he unsheathed the dagger strapped to the man’s arm and pointed in at his throat with one swift movement of the wrist. “Or I could take you in as prisoner for questioning.”

The intruder smiled, quite impressed. “I’m afraid that’s quite impossible, yeah,” he said.

“And why is that?”

The stranger grabbed Romeo by the wrists and turned him against the wall. “Tomorrow night, the Solarian Kingdom’s army will arrive at Great Lake, hoping to ride with the Imperial Kingdom’s army for Cloudtop as one great power; although they’ve no clue that the Devinian army will be arriving at Great Lake as well, hoping to bring the war away from their city. Also, nobody has any idea that the Serpent’s Kingdom’s army will be arriving to attack the Imperial Kingdom.”

Romeo’s brown eyes were filled with terror, as he listened to the stranger’s warning.

“A golden-haired man named, Orlav Goldhand, will attempt to kidnap the princess for the Serpent’s Kingdom. I suggest you join the war if you’d wish protect your precious little sweetheart, yeah?” The stranger let go of the lord’s son and put his own dagger back in its sheath. He walked to the open window, ready to jump out, until Romeo grabbed him.

“Wait,” he said. “How do you know these things?”

The stranger looked blankly at Romeo with his light blue eyes and said, “Because, Romeo Mortanoire, I am of the shadows.” The young man then jumped out of the window, but no crash or thud was heard by him. When he looked out the window, he saw no trace of the stranger anywhere amongst the crowds of people.

“Romeo!” his older brother, Robert, called as he entered his room. “I heard another voice from your room as I was walking past. Who are you talking to?”

Romeo turned to him, still speechless. His mind was still in shock from the conversation he had just had. “Robert,” he whispered. “There is something I must tell to father.”