Status: Complete

Shadow of the Fire

The Last Sunset

Novembras 1, 210t

The Solarian kingdom arrived by the shore of Great Lake at sunrise. They set camp there and waited, as their captain went inside Crownlake City to talk to the queen’s Hand about Lucas Urthan’s information. When they were able to meet, Lucas told Simeon Gauld about the young man he encountered, who called himself as Theos Bouvier. The young soldier said that he believed it was the mysterious man who assassinated the king and his family, and not the Devinians, for the man was able to kill five people so easily and said that he would be king; but Simeon Gauld disagreed. The Imperial army’s captain and queen’s Hand said that their evidence against the Devinian Kingdom was undeniable, and that the young man in Lucas’ story was only some psychopathic murderer. Lucas and his captain returned to their camp, although the young soldier was still convinced that he would meet the assassin in the war. He promised himself he would avenge the death of his friends.

John Fields stood beside his son as they watched the two Solarian soldiers walk away after having a long conversation with their captain, Simeon Gauld. The Imperial soldiers were then briefed about the upcoming war, the moment their captain turned his attention back at them. After the meeting, all the soldiers were dismissed and told to go spend their times with their families, except for John Fields, who was especially called on by Simeon Gauld to stay back. When all the other soldiers had left, the captain told John Fields that he was very special to him, for he was very well aware of his deep love for the country and for the Thalin house. He was instructed to stay in the city to personally protect the queen tomorrow. At first, John was hesitant, for he wanted to stay by his son, and so Simeon eventually allowed Joseph Fields to stay back as well before letting John return to his house.

The Serpent’s army then arrived at the area, but they stayed in hiding at a faraway place with a perfect view of the whole lake. The army was ordered to stay concealed until the armies of the Imperial Kingdom, Solarian Kingdom and Blaque Kingdom rode away and left Crownlake City. Orlav Goldhand spent the wait just staring at the city walls, thinking of a way to infiltrate it and reach the castle, wherein the young queen surely stayed.

The Devinians rode on their horses from the horizon, as the sky turned red when the sun began to set. Their captain, who led their whole army, spotted Crownlake City and the army that camped by its shore. Surprised, the captain called his army to a halt, and gave them new instructions on their attack. He ordered all the archers to ride at the back and to start shooting the moment their arrows can reach, while the swordsmen would stay at the front lines. Isaac Lore, carrying his sword and his steel shield, stayed somewhere at the middle of the army, as they continued to ride.

The Solarian soldiers heard the galloping of the horses from far away and saw the upcoming army led by the Devinian flag. A wave of arrows rained over them, but they were all able to protect themselves. One soldier was sent to report to Simeon Gauld of the attack, while the rest of the Solarian soldiers rode on their horses to meet the Devinians head on. “For the Thalin king!” the Solarian captain shouted as he pointed his sword to the direction of the enemies.

Simeon Gauld was in complete shock when he heard the news from the exhausted soldier. “Return and fight with your comrades, son,” he said. “The Imperial army will join you shortly.” After the Solarian man left, Simeon ordered a house servant to sound the city’s Great Bell of War while he put on his Imperial armor. John Fields and his son said their goodbyes to their family after hearing the signal. They put on their armor and their weapons and ran as fast as they could to the assembly area, where all the other soldiers came to as quickly as possible. When Simeon arrived at the scene, he mounted his brown horse in front of the whole army and said, “Men, today we avenge the death of our king, our queen, and our princes.” The king’s Hand and army captain turned around, pointed his sword forward and shouted, “For the Thalin king!” as he rode off and led his army out the gates and to the battlefield.

John Fields and his son were supposed to stay behind and protect the princess in the castle, but Joseph was stubborn and was too eager to fight, so he ran with the army. John, not having it in him to let his son run off without his guidance, disobeyed his captain’s orders and chased after Joseph to the war.

The men fought by the shore of Great Lake. It was a brutal scene. The atmosphere was filled with anger, fear and cruelty, and the air smelled of blood. Soldiers and horses alike were either killed or decapitated, and some unfortunate souls received both fates.

Lucas Urthan battled blades with Isaac Lore, a Devinian soldier, who, like him, wielded a sword and a shield. Lucas, being younger and better-rested, had the upper hand, and it was very evident when he was able to kick his opponent down to the ground and disarm him of both his sword and his shield. Isaac, seeing that he was in an impossible situation, began to pray desperately in his mind to God, begging for a chance to live.

Right before Lucas sank his sword down into the Devinian’s chest, he noticed a hauntingly familiar red and black armor walking about peacefully amongst all the chaos. The young soldier, sick with a thirst for revenge, ignored his opponent and ran after the man who murdered his friends. Isaac was overjoyed by the misconception that his prayer worked, and so he stood up, picked up his sword, ran after Lucas and drove his blade through the Solarian soldier’s stomach. He fell dead, and Isaac was filled with high confidence that this war was his, being on God’s side.

The Serpent’s army began to move, and they moved fast. The rest of the soldiers headed for the battlefield, while Orlav Goldhand rode directly towards the city.

Joseph Fields fought side-by-side with his father, when out of nowhere, a Devinian soldier came running towards them with his sword in the air, waiting for the right time to slash downward. Joseph was about to get cut, until John pushed his son out of the way and met the enemy’s sword with his own. Only Joseph’s arm was wounded by the attack, but the cut hindered him from using his right arm, his sword arm. The young soldier began to retreat, knowing that he could no longer fight, until the Devinian facing John, Isaac Lore, turned his back on his opponent and ran after his son, confident that his god would never let him get hurt. He was able to kill Joseph Fields, but the act of ignoring his opponent led to his beheading from behind by boy's father. Knowing that he still had the duty to protect the princess, the soldier carried his dead son and ran towards the city with his sword in its sheath and tears running down his face.

At that moment, the Blaque Kingdom’s army, led by Robert Mortanoire, arrived at the battlefield. Romeo Mortanoire headed for the city right away to look for his beloved Thalia.

Orlav Goldhand infiltrated the city, for the guards foolishly left the gates open. The warrior for the Serpent killed every guard he saw with his dual cutlasses as he made his way to the castle. Entering the castle was easy as well, for Orlav caught the guards by surprise. He looked throughout the whole building, checking room after room, looking for the queen, until he finally found her in the eastern tower.

John Fields kicked open the door, only to find the princess being manhandled by a large man bearing the logo of the Serpent’s Kingdom. He slowly put his son’s dead body down on the ground and seized the man. The two went into combat, but it did not last, for John was no match for the large man. The father and son both lay dead on the floor.

The moment Orlav Goldhand put his hands on the queen, the man’s face fell, his eyes grew large, and blood poured out of his mouth. He fell to his side, revealing a handsome young man holding two daggers in his two hands. Romeo hugged Thalia tightly and assured her that she was going to be okay, but he was wrong.

“Romeo, Thalia, you hear them, yeah?” a soft voice asked coming from the left side of the room. When the two lovers looked, they saw a young man sitting on the window pane. “You hear them shouting our slogan, yeah? Like beautiful music, it is,” he said with a smile.

“You!” Romeo exclaimed, recognizing the young man as the intruder who entered his castle. “What are you doing here?”

“What am I doing here? This is my war. This is the war that celebrates my coronation.” The young man got off the window pane and circled the two. “Romeo, take a look outside and see what is going on, yeah?”

Romeo did as he was instructed and looked out the window. He saw another army in the fight, an army of soldiers all wearing the same armor as the mysterious young man was wearing. They were all shouting the sentence, “We are of the shadows!”

Before Romeo could turn back around, the mysterious young man stood behind him, slit his throat and pushed his dead body out the window. He then turned around to face the queen, who was weeping speechlessly. The young man gently caressed the queen’s face and shined a devilish smile. “Thalia Thalin, do not be afraid,” he whispered as he slipped the Polymian Ring off her finger and wore it around his own. “You will remain queen, but there will be some very drastic changes, yeah? I, Theos Bouvier, will be the new king of Polymia,” he said as he played with the beautiful lady’s golden hair. “The Shadowsake Kingdom will rule over all of Polymia and will be seated here in Crownlake City, just as it should have many years ago. Welcome to the new age. Welcome to the beginning of the Bouvier’s rule.”