Status: going

Holding Down the Laughter

beginning

Alyssa Jenkins was a nobody in her hometown. Not one person knew anything about her other than her name, except for her family. However, she was a stranger even to them.

People didn’t smile when they passed the sixteen year old on the streets and no one made a comment about the mysterious underage girl smoking.

She was virtually invisible.

When she went to school, though, in the beautiful state of Kentucky, she was famous. Everyone knew Alyssa at Union Creek. Teachers adored her, guys wanted her, and girls wanted to be her. There wasn’t a person who didn’t know Alyssa’s name.

Only three people really knew Alyssa, though. Only three people knew details about Alyssa, like her favorite color, brand of cigarette, or flavor of alcohol. Even those three didn’t know her life story, though.

She was a mystery to everyone.

This year at Union Creek, Alyssa was losing a roommate. The girl Alyssa roomed with, but didn’t really know, was moving to the middle of nowhere in Russia. In reality, Lyssa was gaining more than she was losing.

No roommate means a smaller chance of getting ratted out to Old Man Culver, the principle of Union Creek. He was always on the watch and stopped at nothing to catch someone breaking the rules.

Just as she was settling in, Alyssa’s room was invaded by three excited boys. One by one, they each brought the small girl into hugs before pulling her out of the room.

“Sorry, love, we all needed a smoke and couldn’t go without our girl.” The British accent of her first friend was like music to her ears. Sebastian Parker was a beautifully built 18 year old who was wise beyond his years. He could memorize anything put in front of him as well as give a girl the utmost pleasure.

The boy next to him wasn’t as tall or muscular, but he was just as handsome. Riley Jennings was only about 5’8 and 137 pounds, but he was a total ladies man. What he lacked in height and weight, he sure made up for in other areas. The 17 year old had the brain of a 60 year old scholar and the energy of a 7 year old boy.

The last and newest friend of the group was the most attractive Asian at UCP. He was 6’2, 18 years old, had the right build for his height, and had beautiful hair. Katsuma Jing was quite the charmer with his movie star good looks and even better body. He was lusted after by almost every girl at the school at least once.

The four were unstoppable at UCP, but all had their demons elsewhere. They all smoked, drank, and did more than they could handle. They were all main targets for Culver’s hatred and punishment, but they enjoyed every second of it.

“Understandable. I was waiting for you fools to come save me anyways.” Alyssa said, grabbing the cigarette Sebastian threw her way. Sticking the cigarette in her mouth, she held up the lighter with one hand and covered it with the other to keep the lighter lit.

The boys laughed and Riley wrapped his arm around the small girl’s waist and slipped his thumb through one of her belt loops. He opened his mouth and leaned towards her, making Alyssa smile and slid the butt of the cigarette in his mouth long enough for him to inhale.

To anyone looking at the two, they would be the perfect couple. Sharing cigarettes, wrapped in each other’s arms, and laughing. Alyssa promised herself never to date any of her boys though, and she’s been sticking that out for 4 years.

“What are we gonna do for alcohol this year, guys. I lost my fake over the break and none of you look old enough to pass.” Kat said, focusing mainly on Alyssa. When their stash ran out last semester, Alyssa volunteered to get more and ended up getting them all work time in the cafeteria.

“I didn’t know the store would call the school when I got caught! And you three ratted yourselves out, it wasn’t me. You didn’t have to tell Culver you were planning on drinking it too.”

The boys just rolled their eyes at the tiny girl and continued talking like Alyssa never had. When they had walked far enough away from the school campus, the four sat themselves down on the side of the road to smoke and talk.

“Alyssa can just try to suck the guys dick again.” Riley said, Alyssa still sitting in his arms. When they finished their cigarette, he lit another one and continued sharing with Alyssa.

“Cause that worked so well the first time, right Riley. Thanks for that genius idea.” Sebastian said, throwing the end of his cigarette at the other boy. Riley just rolled his eyes and pushed the end off of him.

“Or how about Kat just gets a new fake.”

Alyssa’s words quieted the boys and left them with their mouths open. She began preparing herself for the laughter she knew would come, like it always did when she said something stupid.

Instead, the boys all stood up and told the younger girl they would be right back before walking away. Alyssa just remained sitting on the side of the road, lit cigarette in her right hand and a cell phone in her left.

It was then that Josh first noticed her, sitting alone on the side of a dead road with barely any traffic. He was thinking of approaching her, but the decision was difficult. It was a move that could define him as a complete creep or it was a move that made the girl aware of his presence.

When Josh looked back to the mysterious girl again, she was gone. Nowhere to be seen.

“You know, it’s not polite to stare.” A voice declared from behind Josh. Before he saw her, he could smell her, a mixture of vanilla, smoke, and the woods. He looked up and was immediately captured. Up close, the small girl was even more beautiful.

The girl had long bleach blonde hair with electric blue tips. The blue matched her eyes, which were just as mysterious as she seemed to be. Her tiny nose was cute, but was decorated with a tiny stud on the left side. The girls pouty lips covered straight and sparkling white teeth. She was just perfect.

“And you’re doing it again.”

Josh couldn’t help but blush as the girl snapped him out of his trance once more. He stood up from his spot on a bench and offered a hand out to her, which she accepted.

“I’m Alyssa Jenkins. And you are?” Alyssa said, smiling at the cute boy in front of her. All she could think of was vodka and this kid looked old enough to get it.

Josh smiled back and introduced himself. “I’m Josh Hutcherson.”
♠ ♠ ♠
keep or kill?