‹ Prequel: Man vs Hero
Sequel: Sacrifice
Status: Complete.

A Time of Gods

Selfless Acts

There had been no sign of Loki in over a week and Cat found it unsettling. No unforewarned appearances at her apartment. No confusing notes. No lavish gifts. Nothing.

There was a re-occurring thought in her mind -perhaps Loki had decided he didn't need her anymore. Cat still failed to see how much use she had been anyway. Loki was a manipulative trickster, he could have found all the information on S.H.I.E.L.D. and it's employee's himself, with no assistance from her.

Cat placed one booted foot in front of the other and continued to walk along the boundary of the third-storey rooftop with ease. The night was illuminated by the life of the surrounding city, but Cat had found a rather shadowy, secluded spot. She had been wondering the city in her feline guise since dusk. Keeping to the rooftops and straying from the popular, dense areas which came alive at night. Cat had no fear of the 'dangerous' neighbourhoods. It had been a long while since she had flecked her muscles like this, out in the open and out of the gym. And she couldn't deny how wonderful it felt to have the cool breeze rush through her hair and put all her faith in her methods of movement, trusting the grappling hook to take her over the gaps amongst the buildings too big to jump without effort. The interaural balance compensator's in her suit ensured a perfectly faultless landing every time.

When Cat finally paused, she took in the spectacular view. She had wondered quite far from home but she could still spy her part of town away in the distance, where the buildings cut into the sky.

Cat picked up a noise from below and turned her attention to the blacked out buildings.

"Good to know I'm still the best thief this city has to offer," Felicia smiled to herself, and with the prospect of having a little fun, she swung from the rooftop perch to the street below. She landed with a light step in the pavement, inaudible to those inside the grocery store. Cat kicked open the door and allowed it to swing open - instantly activating the silent alarm above the door and window, that the burglars had avoided by coming in through the neighbouring cellar of the unoccupied building next door.

The gaze of three torch beams turned on her.
"Would you mind diverting that light elsewhere? My vision's rather sensitive." Cat purred.

The three men shared an amused look, they weren't concerned about escape. All that stood between them and the street was a lone woman, though her outfit did fantastic things for the imagination. The one resembling a rodent pulled out a gun, but Cat had thrown him against the back wall before he could even take off the safety.The remaining two looked at the unconscious body of their partner.

"Now now boys,don't you know it's just wrong to rob a mom and pop store? And it's downright disrespectful to pull a gun on a lady," She fanned her face theatrically, before curling the fingers of her other hand into a fist and punching the closest man square in the face and grabbing the back of his head to smash it off her knee. The third man, the largest, fumbled forward and took a clumsy swipe at her, which she ducked and kicked him in the shins, cracked his head off the till and threw him on to his rodent friend who had been beginning to stir.

Shrugging off her triumph, Cat dusted off her hands and stepped over the bodies.

Cat was clear of the scene long before the police finally showed up. She had gone back to her spot on the rooftop to watch the building, sure nobody would escape after she had tied the three men together with her grappling hook and rope. Cat was unaware of her surroundings, of the noise carried along the streets and of the drop in temperature. The thrill had seized her and all she could feel was the electric current of adrenaline coursing through her veins.
♠ ♠ ♠
When I started writing this I didn't think people would respond well to Cat, so you folks have made me incredibly happy.
I do believe the next chapter features Steve :)