Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

11 - Garrett POV

The vibrating phone next to my head woke me up. Ughh. Who is it? I let it go to voicemail before looking at it. One missed call. Falyn. Crap. Quickly calling back, I hope she picks up. She does so on the first ring. "Hi sweetie. Thought you were still sleeping so I was just gonna leave a voicemail. Did I wake you up?"

Yawning, I reply, "It's fine. Anything for you."

Feeling her smile on the other end, she says, "I got your text. But I'm done with classes for the day. I just wanted to say that I miss you, and that I wish you were here. Don't have too much fun. And how's Arizona?"

"What? Done with classes? Doesn't your last class end at 4:30?"

Laughing, she says, "Yea! It's 5 now silly.  Which means its 2 where you are." 

"Two? Oh god. You're right. Well, Arizona's gorgeous and disgustingly hot and humid as usual. You'll never guess who I saw AND talked to yesterday."

"If you're talking about Halvo, I'm not very surprised."

"No actually. It was Rachael. I figured it's time to mend broken fences, right?  It's been forever." Hearing silence on the other end, I rush to say, "But if you're uncomfortable with it, I'll totally go back to avoiding her."

After another pause, she replies. "No. I remember you telling me that even though you guys were together for so long, she was basically your best friend first. I'm happy for you. Just...don't forget about me out here alright?"

"Never. I really do love you."

"I love you too. But I have plans with Monica now, so I have to go. Come back soon."

"I'll try," I promised. "I should probably check on the others now. Tell Monica I said hi."

"Will do, and tell the boys I say hi too.", she says, hanging up. 

Now. Is there band practice? And where? I send a quick text to the guys. "Hii. You guys awake? Do we have practice? And where?"

Pat's the first to reply. "My house. 4. Tim has to go over some stuff with us too. Don't be late."

Two hours to kill. What to do? Looking at my phone again, I realize that there's still an unread message on my phone. It's Rachael! "Hi Garrett. It's Rachael. The day this isn't my number will be the day pigs fly, remember? New phones are good. But new numbers are bad."

Of course. Two hours. Hmmm. I wonder if she's doing anything. "What are you doing now? And good to know. I figured."

"Just finished lunch with Sam. The one you met last night. Why? What's up?", came her quick response. 

"I've two hours to kill before practice. Want to hang out?"

"Sure. No food though. I'm so stuffed."

"What? You? Stuffed? Never!"

"Shut up. Do you want my company or not?"

"Not my top choice. But I suppose you'll have to do."

"Very funny Garrett. Where?"

"The old park? By your house? Remember that?"  I know I do. That's where I first kissed the girl of my dreams. Former dreams, I correct in my head. I taught her the position of all the constellations I could. From then on, whenever she had a bad day, we'd meet at the park to  name the stars and constellations. 

"Awwwh. Did Gary have a bad day?"

"Yes and no."

"Are you serious? I bet you just woke up."

"Yeayea. I'll meet you in twenty minutes."