Sequel: Smoke and Fire
Status: Complete! ^.^ READ THE SEQUEL :D

Back to the Start

2 - Rachael POV

Sighing, I grab the list my mom left me and my keys. Why was coming home for the summer a good idea? Grocery shopping. Really?

Pulling into the parking lot, I spot an all-too-familiar yellow car. Shit. They're home? Leaning my head on the steering wheel, old memories flood into my head. Garrett smiling and singing to Ryan Adams with one hand on the wheel. His hair getting messed up by the wind. His smiling eyes staring into mine before kissing me. Pulling myself out of it, I stare at the store apprehensively and think. I'm already here right? The store is big enough that we probably won't run into each other. Stepping out of the car, I hurry into the store, staring at my feet just in case.

Stepping in, I slide my sunglasses onto my head and glance down the list. Flour. Simple. Let's start with that. Walking toward the grains isle, the rest of the summer is on my mind. Maybe I should call Sam and take her up on her offer to hang out at her place. Seeing the brand of flour my mom likes, I reach out to grab it, just as another person reaches for it at the same time. Looking up, ready to apologize, I freeze. Just my luck. Garrett.

"Oh. Sorry," I quickly stammer out. "I was--err--yea. Sorry again." I just stand there while he stares. His other hand goes up to rub the back of his neck. He's nervous?

"H-hii Rachael," he stutters. "I, uhh, didn't see you there."

I almost smile before remembering. Hardening, my tone gets snarky. "Are you gonna get that or what?"

"Right. Sorry," he mumbles while grabbing the bag. "Gotta go."

Nodding curtly, I grab one as well and turn to leave, but not before turning around to stare at his back striding away from me. Just like last time, I think bitterly, torn between wanting to make a scene or crying my eyes out.

Shaking myself out of it, I sternly lecture myself. He broke up with you, Rachael. It's been three years. You should be over it by now. You know he is. I ignore the nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that it was my fault.

Hurrying, and now checking every aisle before walking in so there were no more awkward encounters, I quickly grab everything else and pay for it. A summer with Sam seemed like a really great idea now...
♠ ♠ ♠
i'll post two more chapters before i stop for tonight. maybe.

PLEASE. feedback. this is my first story on mibba ^.^