Status: Now Finished =)

Blind Photographs

Transparency

“Hey! You can’t just say that, there are so many different types of people out here. Once you’ve got a family, you stay with them and you watch each other’s backs. That’s how it works.”

“You say that until the offer comes around. Brother against brother. Friend against friend. The only person you can trust is yourself, and even then that’s kind of iffy.” Radio Heat snorted somewhere deep in my mind.

She was usually more talkative. But then again, right now I had more to say.

“What did they do to you? You’re barely a teenager, aren’t you? You’re supposed to be all optimistic and shit.” I pushed my hair back behind my ear and showed them.

“BC7736505. Forever marking me as what I was. Another number in their computer. Then I got brought out here in a raid. Last I heard of them they were considering being bounty hunters for him.”

“Who are they?”

“Harley and the Joker. My old team. I left as soon as the second notice came.” He nodded in understanding.

The red hair shone brightly in the desert sun. I actually looked at his face, this time. His mouth was set in a thin line, but I could see his eyes through the holes in his mask, and they didn't hold that same rigid look. They were soft, almost.

“What’s your name, kid?”

“They called me Bat cause I can’t see for shit without my glasses.”

“You’re not going to make it out here if you need those frames to get around.”

“Oh yeah? And what do you propose?”

“Come back with us. Even if you could see, you’re a walking hazard. If you didn’t even know about the Tower who knows how lost you’d be.” I had nothing to lose. Might as well.

“One thing.”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t be surprised if I up and leave. It’s happened before. Don’t get too attached,” I said seriously.

Before Harley and the Joker,(who I grouped as Gotham) there were three others. The Meds, the Primaries, and the Ghosts. From zone 1 to 21, all the way on the east coast. I left them all before Harley and the Joker got me back out in the desert. I changed names and the color of my hair. Nothing else to define me besides the glasses I wore, but they came from the Joker. I was almost invisible, and I was determined to stay that way.

“Whatever you say. I’m Jet Star, by the way. This is Party Poison, the Kobra Kid, and Fun Ghoul.”

Radio Heat inhaled sharply.

Those names sound familiar? I asked myself.

They’ve got Gracie. I shut my eyes tightly and shook my head.

No way. She’s been gone forever.

They’re the fabulous killjoys. On the radio all the time. She’s there with them. Goes by something else now though.

I thought back to my sister. Her innocent face, the curious eyes, she'd become almost like a dream throughout all of this.

“You alright?” Kobra asked.

I nodded. I climbed into their car, stomach churning and mind racing. If I could get the basics down, I could take Grace and get out. I could trust her.

“Home sweet diner. Make yourself comfortable, Bat.”