Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Rain and Thunder

As the hours passed by, Penelope told Robert a bit about her childhood, at least some of her memories, and then she remembered that he had a piano “I hope that you can play it.” She said as she glanced over at the instrument.

“I can. And you?” Robert smirked.

“My mom can and she tried to teach me but I’ve always preferred to play the guitar. I prefer to listen to the piano, though. I know it’s strange.” She chuckled as Robert stared at her delightedly. He could hardly believe what she had told him, how she had trusted him. He felt close to her and he was thankful for that but also he felt like he had a new purpose, which was crucial in his life.

Then they fell into silence as Penelope glanced at her wristwatch and realized that it was getting late.

“Robert, it’s time for me to go.” She said sadly “You can keep all the drafts.” She said as she stood up and Robert nodded, taking his car keys. Once they opened the door, they realized that a storm was going on outside and as Penelope looked at the front porch, she saw that all of the concrete was muddy and therefore impossible to drive in. “Oh, no.” She said as she looked at him and he looked apprehensive.

“You’ll have to stay here tonight.” He concluded, hiding his smirk from her sight as she walked back inside the house.

“But I don’t have anything to wear.” She said biting her lower lip.

“That’s no problem. I’ll get you a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie or a shirt.” Robert said nicely, trying to relax her. Then he guided her to the upper floor of his house. “This is where you’ll be sleeping.” He said opening the door to the guest room. “Give me a sec, I’m going to get you some clothes, in the meantime, you should call your mom.” He advised.

Penelope nodded and sat on the comfy bed, taking her shoes off. “Hey mom?” She asked as her mom picked up the phone with a sleepy voice. “Sorry to wake you but I’m going to sleep at my friend’s house alright?”

“Okay honey.” Her mom said as Penelope hang out knowing that she was too sleepy to even care to question her.

Penelope took her jacket off and laid it on a chair as Robert entered the room and handed her a new set of clothes.

“I’ll wait for you downstairs.” He said nicely as he closed the door of the bedroom.

Then, Penelope’s nerves kicked in. ‘I’m sleeping in his house’ she thought barely able to process all that had happened over dinner and what was happening right now.

Robert on the other hand was as cheerful as ever. He was happy that she was staying around and he didn’t have any nasty ideas, just nasty thoughts. He smirked as he went back to his room and switched to a pair of dark blue sweatpants and a sleeveless v-neck black shirt. He walked around the house barefoot and went down to the living room, sat on the couch and began reading.

As Penelope came down, he chuckled as he saw her wearing his clothes. She wasn’t swimming around in them, but she looked adorable. Surprisingly enough, she was also barefoot. On the other hand, she was trying her best not to drool over his arms and over him, he looked so sexy. This time she sat on the couch in front of him and they started discussing ideas, Robert suggested a few changes and a couple of hours later the first yawns came from Penelope’s mouth.

“Sleepy?” Robert chuckled as Penelope pushed a few strands of her hair from her face.

“I guess so, I woke up early.” She smiled softly.

“It’s bed time, then.” Robert smiled as Penelope nodded with her head and closed her laptop. They left everything on the couch and went up the stairs side by side.

“My bedroom is right across from yours, so if you need something I’ll be either there or in the office, which is right next to my bedroom.” Robert said as Penelope smiled.

“Thanks for letting me stay. Sorry if I ruined any plans or something.” Penelope said clumsily as she bit her bottom lip and locked her hands behind her back. The physical awkwardness between them was obvious and they were both a bit lost about how to act.

“Don’t worry, you were all I had planned for tonight.” Robert grinned as Penelope blushed and waved at him as she went to bed.

Penelope was sleepy so she immediately fell into deep slumber but, on the other hand, Robert couldn’t sleep at all. It was normal for him to have insomnia sometimes but today it wasn’t insomnia, he was just too excited and trying to hold all that excitement. ‘What would’ve happened if I had kissed her again?’ He wondered as he sat on his office’s chair staring into the darkness of the forest through the window.

Penelope woke up startled in the middle of the night “Thunder?!” She said terrified as she heard the scary noise outside of the house and flinched, almost falling from the bed. She sighed, knowing that she wouldn’t be able to sleep and she took the blanket from the bed and wrapped it around her body.

She decided to open the door of the bedroom carefully and the whole house was dark except for the office, but Penelope didn’t want to disturb Robert. She sighed and decided that she wouldn’t really be able to sleep so she was going to retrieve her laptop and go back to the bedroom.

“Is everything alright?” Penelope yelled, backing away as Robert’s voice echoed from the kitchen “Sorry!” He yelled laughing.

“The hell are you doing in the dark?” Penelope asked trying to regain her breath as she walked into the kitchen.

“I can’t sleep either, so I’m making hot chocolate. Want some?” Robert asked as he stood in the kitchen just with a lit candle and a mug. Penelope nodded and Robert handed her another mug.

“Can’t sleep?” He asked.

“There’s thunder. I hate thunder.” Penelope said with shame as she sipped a bit of the hot chocolate, licking her lips with satisfaction because it was really delicious.

“Are you afraid?” Robert asked as he watched her devour the hot chocolate.

Penelope nodded affirmatively with her head “In here it’s even worse. It’s really over us.” She said looking up and then shutting her eyes close when another thunder showed in the sky.

“Come.” Robert said sweetly as he grabbed her hand gently and took her to the living room
“I’m not sleepy. What do you want to watch?”

“Doesn’t really matter.” Penelope said as they sat close to each other in the couch.

Within a few minutes, Robert let his arm slip around Penelope’s shoulder and Penelope was resting her head in his chest and snuggling more and more against him as the storm became worse. Suddenly her eyes started to feel heavy and she felt Robert shifting his position underneath her, so they ended up lying on the couch with her sleeping on him and his hand resting in her lower back. For the first time in years she was able to sleep peacefully with a thunderstorm as background.

Jude opened Robert’s front door carefully. It was around 11am and Robert was late for their meeting, which was unusual. As Jude stepped into the living room his jaw dropped as Robert motioned for him to be quiet and then come closer.

“What happened?” Jude asked staring at Penelope for a few seconds and then looking at Robert’s dumb expression.

“She slept on me.” Robert said grinning as Jude had to control himself not to begin laughing.

“I see you’re busy… We’ll talk later.” Jude said as Robert winked at him and Jude began leaving when Penelope opened her eyes lazily and placed her chin in Robert’s chest, looking at him.

“Who are you talking to?” She asked sitting up.

Robert didn’t bother answering because he was just staring at her morning beauty. Her hair wasn’t messy and she looked peaceful. Jude, on the other hand, was frozen on his way out and turned to Penelope a bit awkwardly.

“Hi! I’m Robert’s friend, my name’s Jude.” He said trying to smile casually.

“Hey. Sorry for meeting like this.” Penelope said blushing as Jude smiled.

“No problem Miss.”

“Are you Jarvis’s owner?” Penelope asked as Robert stood up from the couch, once he realized that his dreamy night was over.

Truth was that nothing had happened, Penelope had slept as peacefully as ever and Robert hadn’t slept anything at all. But he was somewhat happy, having the opportunity to play with her hair in between his fingers all night was worth for him, he felt amazing.

“Yes, I am.” Jude said proudly.

“He’s such a cute dog.” Penelope said with a tender smile as Jude laughed and Robert motioned for him to get going.

“Well it was a pleasure to meet you Penelope. See you later, Downey!” Jude said as he left.

“Is he your best friend?” Penelope asked loud enough so Robert could hear.

“How could you tell?” Robert chuckled as Penelope stood up and joined him in the kitchen and began to help him make some breakfast.

“There was this chemistry between you. I could tell right away. Besides, he was all in a rush to leaves us alone.” Penelope teased as Robert blushed a bit.

“I do not know what you speak of.” He said shrugging it off with a smirk as Penelope laughed.

♦♦♦


“Here we are.” Robert announced sadly as Penelope was looking at her hands. Honestly, she had loved staying in his house and she couldn’t be more thankful.

“Listen…” Penelope started as Robert sat sideways “I just want to thank you for everything.” She said grabbing his hand “Thank you for listening to me. I hope to gain your trust so that I can listen to you to.” Penelope smiled sweetly as she kissed his hand lightly, almost invisibly.

Then they both smiled at each other as Robert leaned in kissing her sweetly on the lips. She smiled shyly and, even though, neither of them knew where things were going no words needed to be spoken.

As Penelope entered her house, a happy smile was playing in her lips when suddenly she heard her mother yelling from inside the living room. She slowly approached and overheard the conversation.

“I’ve told you a million times!” She yelled furiously.

Penelope had seen her mom mad but not this pissed off before.

“Listen, Zack you have no right in wanting to getting to know her now…” Her mom paused and then laughed ironically “My fault? Ha ha aren’t you hilarious like your father?! Adam will NEVER meet her. Do you understand, Zack?”

“I don’t care if he’s her father and you’re her brother!”

Penelope’s eyes widened as she forced her way into the living room leaving her mother in shock because she wasn’t expecting for Penelope to return so soon and because her daughter looked tense and bewildered.

“Who the hell are you talking to?!” Penelope demanded.

“To no one, honey.” Her mom said hanging up the phone on the person’s face.

“Mom… you mentioned Dad’s name and who’s Adam?” Penelope asked trying to control herself.

Her mom’s hands closed into tight fists “It’s nothing honey.” Her mom said looking away, preparing to leave the room.

“You’re not leaving this room until you give me some answers!” Penelope yelled as she stared at her mom coldly. She had been living with questions and in silence for too long, this was her opportunity to get answers.

“Penelope, don’t go that way… please.” Her mom pleaded.

“Mom, it’s been too long. Just tell me what’s going on.”

“Your father never died.” Her mom said without a flinch or a blink.

Penelope froze and started crying compulsively and as her mom approached her to comfort her, Penelope pushed her away.

“Why?” She asked shaking uncontrollably “Why did you hide that from me?!”

“Times were bad back then. Your father was a junkie and I had to make a choice, so I left.”

“You left dad when he needed you?” Penelope said starting laughing at how incredibly bad things were getting “You can’t be serious!” She said as she began breathing more quickly while she tried to wipe her endless tears.

“You don’t understand and you never will! You were too young to remember.”

“And Zack? Who is he?”

“He’s your older brother. He chose to stay with your father when I left.”

“The best decision he could’ve made. You know mom, I always tried to understand your hate towards dad, I really did. But I can’t. I can’t and you know what? I HATE YOU!” Penelope yelled angrily, dropping her sheets to the floor, the picture popping out.

Her mom picked it up in horror “What did I tell you Penelope Apple Hannah?!” She yelled.

“My name is Penelope Apple Hannah BAILEY!” Penelope hissed as she snatched the picture of her mom’s hands.

“I told you to get rid of everything you had from your father.” Her mom snarled.

“I can’t and I won’t. These things are mine.” Penelope said protectively.

“Oh really? Then I want you OUT of my house!” Her mom yelled, tears building in her eyes as Penelope stared with disgust and disapproval at her.

“Fine.” She said coldly as she stormed to her room and locked the door. As she prepared some clothes, she called Claudia so she could have a place to sleep in.

“Penelope!” Her mom called from the other side of the door “I’m sorry, I-…” She trailed off in her own sobs.

Penelope was too hurt and confused to stay. She packed all the clothes and shoes she could into two bags plus some hygiene products, her laptop, a scrapbook and a Tony Stark book she was currently reading. Then she slipped through the window and still in tears, she left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I am aware that this chapter is quite extensive but a lot of things are happening right now and I can't wait to read all of your thoughts!
Thank you for reading and subscribing and especially for commenting. It always makes my day!