Status: Finished

Man Like Me

Confrontation

Robert woke up after a 3 hour sleep and, even though, he was tired he wanted to continue on reading Penelope’s texts. He was hooked on them and he was able to make some useful connections between them to show her.

Suddenly, his door bell rang and he raised his eyebrow. The only person who visited him was Jude and he never rang the bell, he would just burst in. Robert went down the stairs and opened the door to find a sad looking Penelope with two bags on her feet. She was drenched and with her arms clinging to her side.

“Oh God…” He muttered as he immediately pulled her in and picked up her bags. “What happened?” He asked as Penelope’s bottom lip was trembling and tears ran down her cheeks.

She simply looked into his eyes, sobbing and then she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly as she cried onto his chest. Robert sighed and embraced her as tightly as possible, knowing that she needed to calm down first.

♦♦♦


Penelope had her body wrapped around a blanket as Robert rushed into the living room with two mugs of tea.

“What happened?” He repeated as he sat close to her, resting his hands in her lap as she refused the tea.

“My dad is alive.” She said, her eyes still resembling crystal.

“What?” Robert asked confusedly.

“I overheard my mom on the phone and then she confirmed it. He’s alive and I apparently have an older brother, called Adam, he was the one calling her.” Penelope explained quickly, all of her sadness getting the best of her. “My mom left my dad because he was a junkie.”

That information was like a stab in the heart. To Penelope, her father was a hero, no matter what, so the fact that his past was dark and that her mom left him with he needed, really caused her immense pain. She was crying, like she had never cried before because her supposedly broken heart could be fixed.

“But, he’s alive. Isn’t that good?” Robert questioned.

For the first time he realized in how much pain she had lived for so long. It had been so buried inside of herself that the good news had caused a shock.

“It is but I’m so scared… What if he doesn’t want to know me? What if he doesn’t miss me, at all? Not even a bit?” She said with fear.

“Penelope, if that was the case your brother wouldn’t have called your mother.” Robert said smiling widely as he grabbed her hands in his confidently “I know this might be really confusing for you but… you can finally see your father again.”

Penelope nodded with her head and her smile mixed with her tears “But I’m moving out.” She informed.

“Where to?” Robert asked, a sudden knot forming in his stomach at the thought that Penelope might be going away.

“Well, I stayed on Claudia’s last night but her parents didn’t really like the idea of having to support me. Then, I have Cat but she lives in a residence.” Penelope said thoughtfully “I’ll find another place.” She said confidently.

“You can stay here, if you want.” Robert said bluntly “I’m sick of living in this house all by myself.”

Penelope blushed madly as she widened her eyes “Are you sure? Won’t take make us a…”

“Couple?” Robert grinned, completing her sentence as she kept blushing madly.

“Actually I was going to ask you if it isn’t too awkward.” Penelope said shyly as Robert laughed.

“Don’t worry about that. Wipe your tears, your life is about to change.” Robert said with confidence as he tried to make Penelope smile.

♦♦♦


Penelope was pondering whether to call her mom or not. Both of them were proud and her mom hadn’t called her and, honestly, Penelope wasn’t in the mood to talk to her either.

Suddenly the door to her room opened and Robert peeked inside carefully “I was just checking if you were sleeping.” He chuckled as Penelope stared at him “I’m going to bed. See you tomorrow.” He waved.

Robert was still surprised that he had invited Penelope to live with him so honestly and easily. Now, they were living together just until she found a house of her own, which he hoped she never did. As he lied in bed, he prepared for another night without sleep.

Penelope sat in bed and refused to let her eyelids close. The rambling in her stomach was constant and pulling her towards Robert. He was being more than nice and her feelings were obviously returned, but they were both so shy and just killing time. All of a sudden, she stood up confidently and walked to his bedroom because she didn’t want to be alone. As she was about to open the door, she flinched and shook her head, walking back. Suddenly she slapped her forehead and turned around again returning to her bedroom. She swallowed her frustration and crawled into a ball inside of her bed.

During the night, Robert stood up from his bed and sneaked into Penelope’s bedroom. She was sleeping lightly and curled into a ball. Robert covered her body with an extra-blanket and he towered over her, listening to her heavy breathing. The way the moonlight lit her face was beautiful and Robert kissed her forehead before he returned to his bedroom.

♦♦♦


The next morning, Penelope woke up with the sun hitting her face. As she looked out of the window, she realized that the rain had ceased. She stretched her arms and got up. She went down the stairs and the smell of toasts filled the entire entrance.

“Good morning.” She greeted smiling as Robert was sitting at the kitchen table with breakfast in front of him and reading the newspaper.

“Oh hey. Can I fix you something?” He asked, standing up but Penelope placed her hand in his shoulder.

“Thank you, but I'll do my own breakfast.” She smiled warmly as she learned her way around his kitchen.

He pretended to read but he was paying close attention to her as she prepared a bowl of cereals.

“Did you sleep well?” He asked as she noticed that he was wearing a pair of reading glasses that actually framed his face beautifully and gave him a very sexy and intellectual look. He had shaved and he smelled wonderfully, drawing her into him.

“Kind of. I’m still very anxious. But speaking of other things, have you been reading the story?”

“I’m finished actually.” Robert said calmly.

“And?” Penelope asked anxiously.

“I have some advices for you and some changes, I think should be done.” He said still keeping his gaze on the newspaper as Penelope listened attentively to him.

“Would you mind if I went for a walk around, before we get to work?” She asked.

“Only if I can join you.” Robert smiled as Penelope smiled back and finished her breakfast.

♦♦♦


“What do you think I should do?” Penelope asked as Robert and her sat near the lake.

“I think you should talk to your mother and then try to find your father and your brother.” Robert said as he looked at her and realized that the sad and hurt look had returned to her eyes.

“I don’t want to go alone.” She said, her voice coming as a weak sound, barely able to be heard.

“I will go with you, I’ll be with you every step of this journey.” Robert smiled warmly as Penelope glanced at him and grabbed his hand.

“Thank you.” She said leaning her head against his shoulder. “Robert… should I be scared of what I feel for you?”

“Not at all. We’re on the same page.” He said softly. “I won’t ever hurt you, I can’t even dream of doing so.” He said as he put his arm around her shoulder and she looked up at him.

“You’re beginning to grow on me.” She chuckled as he kissed the side of her head sweetly.

“Let’s just see where this takes us, shall we?” He suggested as she smiled softly and planted a sweet kiss upon his lips.

♦♦♦


For the rest of the day, Penelope and Robert worked on her love story which was coming out to be something beautifully written by both of them. As a team, they got along really well but in their heads they weren’t a team and they weren’t friends. They were officially a couple.

Weekend


Penelope had been staying at Robert’s house for 3 days now and she was preparing to go over to her mom’s house. She didn’t want to introduce Robert yet and she was going to talk to her mom alone.

“Calm down. Everything will go smoothly.” Robert reassured as Penelope was breathing deeply beside him, on the car.

“I’ll be right back.” She said as she stepped out of the car.

As she entered her house, she heard a familiar sound that almost brought tears to her eyes. Her mom was playing a very melancholic melody on the piano and Penelope was aware that her mom only touched the piano when she was deeply sad or having some sort of serious problem.

“Mom...” She called as her mom took her eyes from the piano and stood up.

“Hello sweetie. How are you? Please sit down.” Her mom said, trying to be cautious as Penelope sat on the couch.

“First of all, I want to apologize for running.” Penelope started “But I’m not coming back.” She stated as her mom gave her a regretful expression “It’s time for me to become an adult and move on. I want you to know that whatever made you do what you did, I forgive you. I will always love you, you’re my mom after all and nothing can change that. But I’m going to find my dad and Adam. I want them to be in my life, too.”

“It’s in your right sweetie, but don’t expect me to be all happy about it.”

“I just ask for your understanding.” Penelope said.

The mood between them was nervous and tense. Penelope couldn’t wait to leave the house.

“Your dad will end up hurting you, you know.” Her mom said with hate.

“Oh here it comes.” Penelope said sarcastically “Mom, I’m not here to discuss dad. I’m here to discuss you and me and to also take my things. In what regards dad, don’t worry, I’ll deal with him in my way.” Penelope said coldly and logically, trying not to lose her calm.

“Where are you going to live?”

“With a friend.”

“Kyle?”

“Fuck Kyle.” Penelope said sneering at her mom with hate “If you love him so much, why don’t you fucking keep him?”

“Penelope!” Her mom said with her mouth hanging open.

“You know what? My gut was right, as always! This was a bad idea. I’m sorry mom, but I’m going.” Penelope said standing up.

“Don’t even bother going up to pack your things. Everything’s there in the corner.” Her mom said coldly as Penelope shook her head at her and grabbed the two suitcases and the two boxes.

Penelope opened the front door and Robert met her halfway to help her carry her things.

“Is this your friend?” Her mom inquired as she walked behind them, until Robert’s car.

“That’s none of your business.” Penelope said coldly as Robert stood strongly beside her, eyeing her mom directly without a flinch or without taking a step back.

“By the way he’s eyeing me, he’s not just your friend.” Her mom said sarcastically.

“You can wait inside.” Penelope whispered as Robert kept his position.

“No, I’m perfectly fine here. Exactly, where you need me.” Robert stated as Penelope’s mom kept eyeing him from head to toe.

“You’re too good for her, you know?”

“Actually, madam she’s too good for any of this crap.” Robert said.

“Let’s just go. There’s nothing left to do here.” Penelope said with regret as she was confronting her mother coldly.

“Penelope, if you leave this house and go to your father, you’ll be dead to me!” Her mom shouted as Penelope stood there seriously and exchanged a glance with Robert.

They immediately started walking towards the inside of the car.

“You’ll come crawling back!” Her mom yelled.

“No mom, I won’t. Goodbye."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I'm so sorry for taking so long to update. My personal life is currently a bit busy which is why I took so long. The chapter is a bit extensive but I hope that you all like what happens in it.
As always, THANK YOU to all my wonderful readers, specially to those of you who comment. I'd like to ask everyone to comment or message me with your thoughts, advises or even with criticism.
For now, I'm keeping my mind on getting Penelope's life straightened but it will just happen for about two mores chapters. Then Robert's story line will finally progress, as well.