Status: Finished

Man Like Me

True Friendship

Two weeks later


It was Sunday morning and Penelope woke up alone in Robert’s bed. She yawned and stretched her arms over her head as she stood up and went towards the bathroom. Then she peeked and realized that Robert was in his office, so she decided to walk cautiously along the hallway so she wouldn’t disturb him or wake him up. As she was passing in front of the door, it swung open and she was pulled inside by Robert, who was laughing, while she yelped and almost punched him in the face.

“Wow, you can take a swing!” He smirked as he grabbed both of her arms, preventing her from moving.

“Luckily, I realized it was you and not a rapist or a robber. If I hadn’t you’d have a horrible black eye by now.” She smirked.

“Uhhh, she’s mean.” Robert said with a smirk as Penelope winked at him and he pulled her into a sweet kiss “Good morning, by the way.” He smiled.

“Good morning.” She grinned as she leaned forward, stealing a quick kiss from him. He melted once her lips touched his and she was able to free herself and run from him.

Robert stood there for a few minutes before he chased after her with an evil grin. They had been together for more than two months now and he still got weak on his knees every time she kissed him on her own free will. Even though, the words ‘I love you’ weren’t that common yet between them, Robert couldn’t believe how wonderful their relationship was. He felt lucky for having Penelope and he felt that she truly loved him.

Penelope glanced behind her shoulder and heard Robert’s hurried steps. She began to run faster to the garden and then stopped trying to regain her breath. Their relationship was short but she was beyond happy. Despite the fact that her life had turned upside down, she didn’t regret moving in with Robert or being in a relationship with him. Actually, Robert was the only thing in her life right now that brought no regrets or pain to her. He was right for her and she felt right for him. She was aware that Robert was still very protective of himself but she was patient and she wanted to know him when he was ready for it.

“Penelope!” He called as he walked into the kitchen and saw that the door to the small garden/backyard was open. He had never paid much attention to that part of the house because he didn’t like gardening but Penelope seemed to love the place, so he had given her freedom to do whatever she wanted.

When Penelope heard him call her, she couldn’t but to smile as she began to water her plants. As Robert stepped outside, he was surprised at the amount of beautiful flowers growing in the
ground.

“What do you think? It looks better than I expected.” Penelope said as Robert walked closer to her and embraced her from behind.

“I had no idea that you were good with gardening.” He smiled as he rested his head on her shoulder.

“Me neither.” She chuckled “My mom does it all the time so I know some tricks.” Penelope said with a sad smile as she placed her hands over Robert’s. “I wonder how she…” Penelope trailed off, almost in a whisper.

“You should call her. It’s been more than a month.” Robert advised.

“I’m trying to convince Zack to go with me. I know I shouldn’t be meddling but I have to try.” Penelope said as she kept staring at her roses with worry. “I just want him to see our mom and I want us both to forgive her. We all need to move on, we aren’t a family anymore but we all deserve to be in peace with each other.” Penelope concluded as Robert planted a soft smile on her cheek.

“That’s the right call. You make me so proud, in so many ways.” He said as he smiled. “I’m beginning to wonder if you aren’t a writer at heart.” He confessed as he had begun to find more similarities between them in what writing was concerned.

“It might. At this point, I’m not sure about what I should do after college, so being a writer isn’t out of the plan.” Penelope said honestly as she was grateful about the changing the topic.

Right now, her future was the last thing on her mind. She wanted to get closer with Zack and with her father and make peace with her mother. Then she wanted to be happy with Robert. For now, this seemed to be enough.

“You know what I’ve been thinking about?” Penelope asked as Robert shook his head. “That place is perfect for a swing.” Penelope smiled softly as she pointed at a tree that was just a few feet away from them.

“Hm… That’s actually a great idea. I’ll see what I can do.” Robert smiled as he kissed her cheek.

♦♦♦


“Hello!” Zack greeted happily as he pulled Penelope into a tight hug making her chuckle.

“Hey Zack!” She replied back as he held her in his arms for a few seconds.

“Where’s Robbie?” Zack asked eyeing attentively behind Penelope as she chuckled at the nickname.

“He went over to Jude’s house for a couple of hours. He wanted to leave us alone.” Penelope said as she shrugged her shoulders and Zack did the same as he stepped into the house.

“How have you been?” Zack asked as he followed Penelope into the kitchen, where a small meal awaited them.

“I’m good, a bit busy with college but I’m okay. What about you?” Penelope asked as they sat opposite from each other.

“I’m considering going back to London.” Zack started as Penelope looked into his eyes. She knew nothing of how Zack’s life had been and now it was her opportunity to know. “I mean, I have a job here and all but I miss me dear old London.” Zack said gazing away from Penelope as she smiled at him.

“Did you spend a lot of time there?” She asked.

“After mom left with you, dad and I moved to England. Dad went to rehab and I was raised by a friend of his while he was gone. That man taught me everything I know about music.” Zack said proudly as Penelope stared delightedly at him.

“So you’re a musician?” Penelope asked with an increasing interest. It was amazing how music was tangled within her family.

“Yes, I am.” Zack said as his glance focused on Penelope “I mean, I’m not famous and that’s not really my purpose. I just want to make good music, that’s all.” Zack said as Penelope nodded her head with a sense of pride.

“That’s the only reason for wanting to go back to London?” Penelope pressed with a sly smirk, hopeful that her brother had a girlfriend.

Zack smirked back “It is but I have more reasons to stay here for now. I have you and dad.” He said with some sort of satisfaction in his voice “What are you studying?” Zack asked.

“I’m in the Faculty of Letters, taking Languages, Literature and Cultures.” Penelope replied as Zack stared at her with wide eyes.

“That’s a bloody big name for a course!” He laughed as she chuckled “Is that your dream?” He asked sounding doubtful. In Zack’s mind, all of his family was turned to music so to hear Penelope say that she was into something related to Letters, shocked it at first.

“I’m not sure of what I want to do anymore. I wrote an assignment a while back, along with Robert and I loved it. Maybe I’ll become a writer.” Penelope said nodding her head as Zack smiled. “Oh, by the way on Monday Tony Stark is going to be at my college. Do you have any interest?”

“Are you kidding me? Sherlock Holmes is like my bloody mate! I’ve read all the books, the man is brilliant! Can I join in your class?” Zack asked excitedly.

“Of course you can. My professor won’t mind for sure, he’ll be too busy trying to impress Stark.” Penelope chuckled “Can you give me a ride?” She asked.

“Won’t Robbie drive you?” Zack asked curiously.

“He can’t, he has work.” Penelope explained.

“What does Robbie do anyways?” Zack asked as Penelope guided him into the living room and they sat in opposite couches.

“He’s a professor.” Penelope replied.

“What does he teach? Where?” Zack asked as he observed the living room. Penelope chuckled at Zack’s curiosity and protectiveness but she didn’t mind. He reminded her of a young teenager every time he spoke. He was always excited and he seemed very sure of himself, but in this case he was simply showing affection which she appreciated.

“Actually, I don’t think he teaches now.” Penelope said getting slightly unsettled with his questions because she had thought about them herself, but never asked them.

“You don’t know?” Zack said narrowing his eyes.

“I’m not sure.” Penelope replied getting a bit anxious.

Zack opened his mouth and closed it, trying to pickthe right words.

“Do you even know him at all?” He asked immediately regretting sounding so harsh.

“I know him!” Penelope said widening her eyes, perplexed at her brother’s tone “We have been dating for a very short time so I don’t want to press him with questions, I’m not that kind of girlfriend.” She defended when suddenly she began to hear cheerful and slightly drunken chanting outside of her door while another voice tried to shush the first one.

Suddenly the door bell started to ring repeatedly. Zack and Penelope exchanged a glance as he stood up and went for the door with her behind him. Once he opened it, he saw Robert with his arm around Jude’s arm while Jude gave her a nervous smile. Zack began laughing as Penelope widened her eyes and stepped forward.

“Hey beautiful!” Robert greeted smiling sleepily at Penelope as he sized her up while Jude adjusted Robert’s weight, trying to carry him inside.

“Hey honey.” She greeted crossing her arms over her chest with a smirk “So this was your night out?” She asked turned Jude with a small smile. The situation was to be laughed at and Jude’s nerves were making everything even more comical.

Robert glanced at Jude and broke into another fit of hysterical laughter.

“I’m so sorry Penelope. We started drinking and he said that he could handle it and I trusted him because I’ve seen him drink before. I guess he hasn’t drunk anything in a while. I’m so sorry.” Jude said as he kept apologizing repeatedly.

“It’s fine, thanks for bringing him home. This is just priceless.” Penelope chuckled as Jude sighed with relief and Robert pushed away from him lightly, heading towards Penelope, stopping in front of her and barely being able to keep himself up straight.

“Apple.” He called trying to keep serious, placing his hands on her shoulders “There’s something I need to tell you…” He started as he lost his balance slightly almost bringing her down with him.
Zack and Jude immediately rushed to her side and Jude grabbed Robert again.

“We can talk tomorrow.” Penelope said gently as she motioned for Jude to bring Robert up the stairs.

Before she could give another step Robert grabbed her wrist as she looked back at him, he looked in disturbed and somewhat distant. She arched an eyebrow.

“It… it has to be today.” He said getting a bit darker as Jude’s eyes widened as he gave Penelope a puzzled look and pretended to not know what was coming.

Their night out hadn’t been as pleasant as Penelope and Zack were led to think. Tony Stark’s appearance at the Faculty of Letters was scheduled for next Monday and Robert was going insane. He hadn’t told Penelope yet and his guilt was eating him from the inside out. So, Jude had offered to take him out and cheer him up. He didn’t work at all and Robert ended up drinking to drown his sorrows. Now he was a drunk mess and Jude was afraid that he was going to bluntly confess the truth to Penelope while drunk and ruin everything.

“Nonsense Downey. You need some sleep.” Jude intervened as Penelope stared reluctantly at Robert.

“No… no. Damn it!” Robert yelled as he struggled against Jude’s grip. “I want to talk now!” He pouted as Jude signed and kept taking him up the stairs.

As Penelope followed behind, Jude turned around.

“I’m terribly sorry that you have to see him like this. I’ll lay him down, stay with your brother alright?” He said smiling softly as she nodded her head.

She went back to Zack with her arms crossed over her chest feeling uneasy and uptight.

“Robbie’s home.” Zack grinned as Penelope shot a glare at him and slapped his arm playfully. “See you Monday?” He asked.

Suddenly there was a loud noise and Robert came running stopping near the stairs.

“Penelope!” He called loudly as she turned around and her breath got stuck in her throat. “I have a confession to make…” Robert said as his voice got weak and he lost balance, falling to his knees.

“Robert!” Penelope yelled as she ran up the stairs and kneeling in front of him embracing him tightly “What in the world is going on?” She asked breathing heavily, fear spreading in her.

She had never seen Robert so nervous or trembling. She was scared at his state. Robert pulled away from her and put his hands on her shoulders, locking his eyes with hers.

“I’ve kept something from you.” He started as Jude appeared next to him panting.

“Robert, no.” Jude pressed as Penelope looked up.

“Just tell what’s going on, Jude. Please.” She pleaded with concern.

“No, Jude. I should tell her.” Robert said as his tone made Penelope turn her head to him “I-“

“I’m Tony Stark!” Jude yelled as Penelope stared at him with wide eyes while Robert fell to side fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!
Sorry for taking so long, I'm so sorry. I'm currently on a family trip so that's why I'm only updating now because, aside from the lack of time, I was also having a writer's block. Finally I made my decision today.
This is 'Part 1' of Stark's revelation, if you want to call it that ahah Right now, the plot has given another twist but in the next chapter Penelope will learn the whole truth.
Thank you for your support. THANK YOU ♥
Please do keep messaging, commenting, subscribing and sending recs. Love you all!