Status: Finished

Man Like Me

"Purple Velvet"

“Please, tell me that it’s good enough.” Penelope said impatiently as Robert was reviewing her story for the third time that day.

Penelope had had a busy week and she needed to deliver her story on the next day. With all that had went on between her and her parents she had only been able to focus on college a few days ago.

“I like it.” Robert stated “How do you feel about it?” He asked removing his glasses.

Penelope was sitting close to his feet with her hair a complete mess and dark circles around her eyes. She was completely exhausted but she refused to get any sleep before completely finishing everything.

“I feel good about it.” She said honestly as Robert handed her the story with a smile.

“Then, it’s done. Go with your gut.” He encouraged as Penelope nodded her head.

“Thank you for your help.” Penelope said gratefully as she stood up and kissed Robert’s lips lightly. “I’m sorry but I’m not a good company tonight, I need to sleep.” She frowned.

Robert chuckled and waved his hands at her “No problem, Apple.” Robert smirked at the nickname he chosen to use for Penelope. Actually Apple was her second name but she had no idea why her parents had chosen it. Robert liked it so much that he started to use it.

“Ha ha, aren’t you funny?” She asked sarcastically as she turned around and he slapped her butt playfully making her groan. “You’ll pay for this tomorrow.” She growled as Robert laughed, blowing her a kiss as she went up the stairs.

‘I hope that she goes to my bed.’ He smirked as went turned all the lights out and went to his office. He had a new book playing around in his head and tonight he felt inspired enough to write.

NEXT MORNING


Penelope found Robert sleeping in his office with multiple mugs around him and she suppressed her laughter. She walked towards him and placed his arm over her shoulders, in an attempt to drag him to bed.

“What are you doing?” He asked in a mumble.

“I’m taking you to bed.” She said as she huffed at his weight.

“You should carry me bridal style.” Robert joked as Penelope rolled her eyes up at him. “You should carry me like this.” Robert said as he opened his eyes and picked up Penelope in his arms, making her yelp in surprise as he held her bridal style without much effort.

“What are you doing?” Penelope said as she began laughing as Robert span them around slowly “Put me down, I need to go to college.”

“Give me five minutes and I’ll drive you.” Robert said as Penelope nodded her head. He kissed her cheek, set her down and ran towards the bedroom to get dressed.

Penelope let out a relieved breath as she delivered her story to her professor, when he began his special announcement that was making him almost squeal like a little-girl.

“As you all well know our college is very prestigious.” He began with a sense of pride “So, since this is a Creative Writing class, this year we are going to compete in the National Academic Writing Awards. I will grade your papers and the one with the best score will be sent to the Awards, so it can compete against other works from other colleges.” He explained as the class nodded in general.

“But there’s a twist this year.” The professor proceeded excitedly “This is not of common knowledge but one of the most famous writers of our century studied here. I have been trying to reach him and finally his publicist gave a positive answer in what regards my request. I have asked Tony Stark to come to one of our classes and together, him and I, will be grading all your papers but here’s where the twist stands. I will read the papers but as you all can imagine, Mr. Stark is a very busy person. So I will tell you in advance the class in which he will be present and I want each and every one of you to present to class and to him a small summary of your story. You can talk about the plot…”

Penelope drifted off from the professor’s words as she began growing incredibly excited. Tony Stark was becoming one of her favorite authors and she knew that he was very reserved to the point that he never went to conferences and he never gave autographs. Nobody knew what he looked like and she was going to witness a rare occasion. Even though, she would have to talk to him and present her work, her nerves were nothing compared to her level of excitement. Tony Stark was going to come out of his office and be in person right in front of her. She couldn’t wait.

Robert was sitting in his office trying to find a good way to make his plot develop. He sighed as he began to grow frustrated. When he was broken, sad and lonely, it was easier for him to write but now that he was happy and in love, all he could write was bright and full of light and he was afraid that his fans wouldn’t accept this sudden change of course. His most popular books were dark because he had written them after his divorce but now that he was under the influence of such positive feelings that he couldn’t and he didn’t want to write anything dark anymore.

He was ready for a change. He had been sad and broken for too long. While Holly had moved on and disappeared from his life, he had stayed stuck in his little world, in his depression. Penelope was the angel who saved him from total collapse. She was the miracle he needed.

Suddenly the door closed loudly and Penelope called him loudly. He furrowed his eyebrows, she sounded more excited than usual. As he was about to get up from his chair, Penelope burst in towards him making him become nervous. She never got into his office because she had chosen to do it. She said that it was his sanctuary and the only place where he could be free from anything, so she would always respect his privacy while he was there.

“Something is different today.” He commented as he began trying to hide his written sheets. He hadn’t told her yet about his true profession and he preferred to avoid thinking about it. He didn’t know how to tell her without making her angry for lying.

“Hello handsome!” Penelope said excitedly as she walked towards Robert and saw him move his papers nervously. “I’m sorry for invading your office but I have great news!” She said never taking her eyes from him as she embrace him from behind. Robert’s eyes widened as his heart was pounding.

“It’s alright, sweetie. What’s up?” He asked trying to hide everything that could reveal anything about Tony Stark. He knew that Penelope was a fan so he immediately stood up making her furrow her eyebrows at him.

“Well, my assignment might be submitted to an important award!” Penelope explained as she followed him with a glint in her eyes, which made him chuckle “But that’s not the best part… the best part is that I will meet Tony Stark! He will go to my class soon and I will be able to speak to him!” She said with a big smile as her hands landed in his arms.

Robert’s eyes widened and he felt his strength leave his body as he became extremely pale. Penelope’s smile turned into a flat line as she saw Robert’s face turn pale and began to panic.

“Honey?” She called shaking him when suddenly he blinked “Are you alright? You are so pale.” She said with worry as her hand travelled his face.

“I’m fine, I just need to sit down. Can you bring me some water?” Robert asked as he kept staring out of the window.

“Of course.” Penelope said in a rush as she helped him sit down and then ran down the stairs.

‘I’m so screwed.’ Robert concluded as he began breathing faster while his heart seemed to almost rip his chest part. Penelope burst into the room with a glass of water and then she stood in front of Robert anxiously.

Robert felt immediately awful for worrying her with something that was only his fault. He patted his knee and she sat on his lap reluctantly.

“I’m fine, please don’t worry about me.” He said as she ran her hand through his hair while his face was buried in the crook of her neck.

“Have you eaten anything today?” Penelope asked as she pecked his head.

“I’m not sure.” Robert chuckled “I guess not.”

“Robert!” She said seriously with a disapproving tone “I’m going to make dinner right now and you better start eating right, do you hear me?” Penelope said grabbing his chin with her hand and forcing him to look at her.

“Yes madam.” Robert replied with a grin as she smiled and kissed his lips sweetly. Then she stood up and went downstairs.

‘This can’t go on.’ Robert said as he rested his head back in his office chair and closed his eyes ‘She doesn’t deserve to be lied to, not anymore. She’s going to find out anyways. Maybe if I tell her now, she won’t be so angry. No, she’s going to be furious. If I let her find personally during her class, she won’t be able to react furiously so maybe that’s the best option. Shit… she’s going to be pissed off anyways.’ He frowned. ‘Wait a minute… how the hell did I authorize this? I don’t even remember knowing about an invitation from the Faculty of Letters.’ He wondered as he picked up his phone and dialed Jude’s number.

"Hello Downey!” Jude greeted happily from the other side of the line.

“Hey Jude.” Robert said, his voice obviously showing how upset he was.

“I know that tone, what’s wrong?” Jude asked.

“Well, Penelope just told me the most interesting thing.” Robert started “Apparently Tony Stark is going to be in one of her classes in the Faculty of Letters!” Robert said trying not to freak out or raise his voice too much.

“Robert, I called you yesterday about it and you said that you’d go. I was very surprised myself, remember?” Jude asked.

“I-I said yes?” Robert stuttered.

“You didn’t even let me explain properly. I just referred the faculty and Penelope’s class and you immediately said yes. Were you drunk?” Jude asked with a disapproving tone while he was trying not to mock his friend.

Jude had always accepted Robert’s choice to isolate himself but now that his friend was happy, Jude wouldn’t let him keep Tony Stark isolated. Tony Stark was a mere heteronym, a persona. The books reflected Robert and Jude wanted the fans and the world to meet the real man.

“Sleep-deprived.” Robert concluded as he shut his eyes and sighed deeply.

“Well, do you want me to cancel?” Jude asked as he bit his lower lip, hoping for Robert to accept and go.

“No, no don’t cancel anything.” Robert said as he sighed again “I’ll be there, whenever they need me.”

“Great! How does Penelope react to this?” Jude asked curiously.

“She’s beyond happy. That’s why I’m still going. Neither I, nor Tony could ever break her heart.” Robert smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!
Once again, sorry for taking so long but THANK YOU for all the wonderful comments, messages and for the subscriptions and recs! You always make my day :D
Please comment away, give your opinions, thoughts, theories. You may even make suggestions, I promise to consider them.
<3