Turn My Life Around

2/2

It was getting close to midnight and Brian had yet to talk to Liliya and he knew that he had to do it soon. He was aware that she always left between 12:30 and 1:00 on Sunday nights because she had university classes starting at 11:00 in the morning on Mondays.

He quickly shot a look over towards the bar and saw Liliya serving customers drinks with a bright smile on her face. A smile slowly made its way onto his face as he raised his beer to his lips. Without him noticing, all of his friends show knowing looks his way. Matt nudged Brian with his shoulder causing his friend to look over.

“Dude, just go talk to her already,” Matt chuckled.

Brian sighed and looked back over at Liliya. He realized that Matt and Zacky were right; he had to talk to her. Brian chugged the rest of his beer back for some liquid courage before heaving himself out of the booth and heading in the direction of the bar.

Liliya looked up from the drink she was making when she saw someone sit down on the bar stool in front of her. A big smile quickly appeared on her face when she caught sight of the gorgeous man who hasn’t left her mind all day. She let out a little laugh before placing her arms on the counter in front of him and leaning down so that she was closer to him.

“And what can I help you with Mr. Gates?” She asked him with a smirk.

Brian smirked back at her and looked over his shoulder quickly, his eyes landing on the dance floor, before looking back at her, “Come dance with me.”

Liliya looked into his eyes and saw that he was serious. She bit her lip and looked over at her father, who just came out of his office. He nodded in the direction of the dance floor, encouraging her to go. But she didn’t know if she could do it. She didn’t know if she could take opening up just yet. She sighed and looked back at Brian, and instantly frowned when she saw the sadness in his eyes.

“I’m sorry Brian, but I can’t. I’m working right now and…” But she was cut off by Brian raising his hand, signalling her to stop.

“Don’t… don’t even bother,” he scuffed and shook his head before gazing into her eyes. “If you didn’t want to dance with me, all you had to do was say so.”

Brian walked away with his shoulders slumped, leaving Liliya with tears in her eyes. She jumped in shock when a hand was placed gently on her shoulder. When she turned to face whoever it was and saw her father standing there with a reassuring smile on his face, a tear ran down her cheek. Mikhail wiped the tear away before moving his hands to Liliya’s arms and stared into her eyes.

“Sweetheart, don’t let him get away,” he murmured. “That boy likes you and I know you like him. Don’t let a few failed relationships get in the way of something that could be great.” He told her before smiling again, “Srazu poluchitʹ yego tykvy,” [Go get him pumpkin] he whispered into her ear in Russian while hugging her.

Liliya pulled away and smiled at him, “Thank you Papa.”

She made her way around the bar and headed over to the booth that Brian was sitting at with his friends. When she reached the table, she saw Brian sitting there with his eyes cast downward at the table with sadness coating them. She sighed before coming to a stop at his side causing his friends to look over at her. The big muscular one that she knew as Matt tapped Brian causing him to lift his head and look over at him. Matt pointed over to Liliya and Brian turned his head to look at her. His eyebrows rose when he saw her and then he clenched his mouth in anger.

“Yes?” Brian snapped lightly.

“I’m sorry and I know you’re angry,” she looked at all of his friends before sighing and stared into Brian’s eyes again. “But if that offer to dance is still open, I was hoping to take you up on it,” she responded meekly, begging him with her eyes.

Brian sighed and smiled at her, “Yeah it’s still open.” He stood up from the booth and held out his hand to her, “come on.”

She smiled and placed her hand into his extended on allowing him to lead her over to the dance floor. When they set foot in the middle a slow song came on. Liliya smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around his neck and Brian wrapped his around her waist and pulled her close.

“Can I ask you a question?” He whispered into her ear.

Liliya moved her gaze so that she was looking him in the eyes and nodded, “of course.”

“Why did you turn me down before?”

Liliya sighed and decided to tell Brian the truth. “Brian,” she continued to look into his eyes. “Brian, I like you… a lot. But I have been burned before. And the thought that I could get hurt again just terrifies me.” She bit her lip and leaned into the hand that Brian place on her cheek. “I’m so sorry; I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Brian smiled and placed his forehead against hers, “its okay. I’ve been hurt before to, I am pretty sure that everyone has gone through some heartbreak. Mine is that my wife cheated on me with at least 10 different guys before she decided to divorce me.”

Liliya all of a sudden felt really bad, “I’m sorry Brian.”

Brian shook his head, “no its okay.” He smiled and pulled her closer to him. “Because with everything that happened, I found someone 100 times better.”

Liliya smiled at him and laughed a little, “really?”

Brian smiled and nodded his head, “yeah. I like you Liliya. I like you a lot and I would really like the chance to get to know you better.”

She smiled, “I would really like that to.”

Brian leaned a little closer, “so if I wanted to kiss you right now…”

Brian didn’t even get the chance to finish his sentence because she was cut off by Liliya crashing her lips against his. Brian’s arms wrapped around her waist tighter holding her as close to him as he could. Liliya allowed herself to really get into the kiss and she hoped that there would be many more kisses like this in the future.

Mikhail watched on form the bar with a smile on his face. “That’s my girl. Good job sweetheart,” he mumbled before going back to work knowing that his daughter’s future was about to turn around for the better.