‹ Prequel: Everlasting Love
Status: Complete

Heartbeat

Chapter One

The Jacobson family is very well known in the community of Orange County. Many of the people view the family of heroes while some think that they all have hero complex due to jealousy for being recognized for their actions. Their mother Evelyn Jacobson died giving birth to her twin babies; complications arose midway through the birthing. Evelyn bled out before her second baby could be delivered so in haste the doctors performed a C-section to get the baby female out of Evelyn’s womb safely. Evelyn died an hour later from the loss of blood. What was supposed to be a day of great happiness ended in sorrow with the passing of Evelyn Jacobson. But their father Eugene never once blamed his children instead he devoted his life to raising his two children and making sure they have everything they needed.

Raising Emily and James proved to be a challenge for Eugene with him being a firefighter but with the help of his close friends, the Sanders; Eugene was able to stay connected to his children. But when the twins were seventeen years old, Eugene was called out when a fire broke out in a neighbor resident. He didn’t come back to his children. Eugene gave his life to save a family of four when the house crashed down on him. The twins still being underage had to be put in foster care and there was a high chance that they could be separated so the Sanders’ family welcomed both Emily and James into their lives. An unbreakable bond formed with the Sander’s son, Matthew Sander or Matt who in turn introduced the twins to his group of friends.

Emily and James were granted a whole group of friends that definitely made their lives a little brighter the more time they spend together with them. Though Emily became attached to Brian Haner Jr who was best friends with Jimmy Sullivan; the wacky yet lovable hyperactive boy. It was a clear as day that Emily and Brian were very close friends; they were basically attached at the hips wherever they go except when Brian is off with his boyish charms and attempting to flirt with a girl that piqued his interest. Later one of Matt’s friends, Zackary Baker became a frequent visitor to the Sander’s home and also because great friends with both Emily and James. Despite being surrounded by boys that would definitely grow devilishly handsome in the years that come, Emily has never once felt out of place, she felt at home with the boys.

As the high school began to come to an end, the group that became so tightly knitted began to branch out and began planning their futures. It was no surprise that James signed up for the Army, with his determination and loyalty that he possessed, it would be stupid if he didn’t. And of course the guys were slowing rising with their band, Avenged Sevenfold so once high school is over, they would have more time to work on their music. As for Emily she dedicated her time to volunteering at animal shelters or at the local hospital; for her Emily only cared about helping those in need. She didn’t need a paying job to help fulfill her life with goods that could easy help those in need, all she needed were the ones she loves and cherishes. Life was already good for her as far as she can tell.

As time went by, Avenged Sevenfold grew from a group of teens that wanted to prove to everyone that looked down on them to a rock band that toured around the whole and sold millions of copies of their music. It seemed that life was going good for everyone but sometimes life can be a bitch sometimes. On Emily’s twenty-fourth birthday, two uniformed officers were at her front door to inform her that her twin brother died while serving his country. If Emily didn’t have guys especially Brian, she would fallen apart but having her friends and adopted parents there with her especially when she received the flag when they had his funeral. James didn’t have a girlfriend so the flag of honor went to Emily.

As months passed, the loss of James became easier to bare; Emily was finally able to move forward in the memory of her brother that gave his life for his country. Though her time with Brian began to dwindle, you see Brian had found a woman that stole his heart; Michelle Dibenedetto. It saddens Emily to see that Brian has found his special someone and that their time is taking her time with him but just as long as he is happy. But then the Avenged family was thrown another curveball, Michelle’s heart began to deteriorate meaning that her heart grew weaker with each passing year. She given at least three years if she didn’t get a new heart, she was put on the transplant list but it would take a miracle for her to get a new heart. This being said, Brian devoted most of his time staying by Michelle’s side which in turn caused him to lose time with his friends. So getting time with Brian was hard for Emily but she understands that Michelle needs him and the same goes for him so she kept her distance.


The landline phone shrilled startling Emily out of her intense reading of Sherrilyn Kenyon book ‘Dark Side of the Moon’. Her heart leaped in her throat as if she was caught by someone for reading an erotic book that involved supernatural hotties. Her face cooled down as she placed the book on the small table beside her and getting up to answer the phone that letting out the annoying ring that interrupted her reading time.

“Hi you have reached the hotline for Hogwarts fans! If you are new member than please press number one.” Emily felt a giggle began to bubble up from her chest, the idea of answering the phone with something ridiculous was given to by Jimmy when he answered the phone stating he was an escort service.

“Emily? It’s me Brian.” Her face fell into a dumbstruck look, shocked to hear from her best friend in weeks. “Hellooo are you still there Ems?”

“Oh---yeah, sorry I saw a bumble bee by the window.” Emily lied as she snapped out of her shocked reverie once she heard Brian’s voice through the phone. “So what can I do for ya Brian?”

“I wondering if you like to hang out this coming weekend, it’s been weeks since I last saw you. So I was wondering if you like to go to the beach and catch some waves like we use to back in the day.” Brian’s voiced floated through the phone as Emily moved back to her previous on the chair. “Michelle’s doing better and I miss hanging out with you.”

“I would like that! I think I can squeeze you once I am done at the animal shelter.” Emily said. “So how is Michelle doing? I heard that she fell unconscious when she walked Pinkly down the street.”

“Yeah she did, the doctors said the heat got to her but thankfully she’s alright.” Brian replied “She’s spending time with her family so I thought that I could catch with you.”

Emily could still hear the worry in his voice; she could tell that he tried to hide the tone of his voice she caught on to his act when she got into an accident and she had to have seven stitches on her left arm. So she knew when he was lying to her or when he troubled about something that involved Michelle or something personal. She may have not been able to spend time with him like she did before but she knew how her best friend is.

“Look Brian I know you’re worried about Michelle but you know you’ll be the first person that her parents will call if something happens. So this weekend this will be about you letting go, let all that stress out and just have fun.” Emily explained softly. “And if the beeper goes off then you’ll know it’s a good thing! So don’t overstress yourself, you’ll get wrinkles before you turn thirty.”

Brian let out a husky laugh, the image of him getting wrinkles before he hit the big thirty just made me laugh. “So I’ll see you Saturday morning, so you better get your butt in gear because I know you are going to be staying up late reading the latest edition to Sherri something book.”

Emily choked on her spit when she heard Brian mention the author of a series of adventure and smutty filled books. She made no comment as Brian’s laugh echoed throughout the phone, her cheeks red from being caught by her best friend about her little hobby. Emily cleared her throat, trying not to let her voice spatter.

“Yeah well I am not sorry that I can fantasize about sexy men that have supernatural abilities!” Emily stuck out her tongue even though Brian couldn’t see her.

“You stuck your tongue didn’t you?” There was a long pause before Emily retorted back.

“No I didn’t!”

“Yes you did, you took longer to reply back!”

“Oh hush you!” Emily was embarrassed for not only being found about her little hobby and then doing a childish stunt by sticking her tongue out when Brian isn’t around.

“Okay then well I’ll see you Saturday morning bright and early!”

“Well see you Saturday!” The phone clicked off, Emily pushed herself up and putting the phone back in the holder. Happiness filled her chest; just thinking about spending time with her best friend has got Emily giddy about this coming weekend. She didn’t blame Brian for not finding the time to spend with her though she was a bit envious when the guys told her that Brian would come around their house and maybe spend a few hours with them before going back to Michelle. It seemed that her busy schedule about volunteering at the hospital and the homeless shelter clashed with the time that Brian not busy.

Emily hopped up and down as she skipped her way to her storage to get her wet suit out and her surfer board.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll post the rest of it tomorrow afternoon or evening!