Status: updates once a week :)

Never Yours

Prologue

Chapter 1: Prologue
Thomas Carter worked his hand on the long, auburn hair of his love; while his free hand explored her porcelain face. He knew they were not safe yet, not safe from harm that would eventually find them after a few moments. Yet he could not restrain himself for being this close to her. After all, she was his future wife and he would be her future husband as well.

Yet, Genevieve was never afraid of him anyways. She was never afraid to be hurt by him or even killed by him for that matter of being with the only person she truly loved. She was bright, outspoken and very much beautiful indeed. She was an explorer, one who does not run away from the adventures that she would be facing, not even if the adventure she was taking now; the adventure that was truly frightening and daunt.

They were not going to last very long. That moment when they are so close, so close to each other. So close that nothing in the world would matter at all to them; as long as they had each other. Yet, Thomas was scared. He was totally different with Genevieve which was why he fell in love with her in the first place. He was afraid that he would tear her apart, kill her, throw her into the depths of Tartarus and leave her burning and scorched; knowing that no one would be able to save her. And that was what was truly frightening for Thomas, that no one would save her. Not even him.

And his theory was right; most of it anyways. Once, they were holding each other so tightly, like opposite magnets, they were so lost in time that they have never even seen what was coming. Now, that moment will be lost and burnt into ashes now that the person they have ran away from has come back, come back for revenge; maybe even bloodshed.

Thomas’ sight was lost in a ray of light that has blinded him for seconds, seconds that felt like minutes or even hours. And when he was trying to regain his sight, he wished he could take that back.

Genevieve was pulled away from him and was thrown to the wall with excessive force that she fell unconscious. Thomas could even see blood dripping on her forehead. When he looked back at the god who had done that to her, he came right at him. But suddenly he came in contact with the wall and had injured himself more than he imagined doing.

“Look what you have done to her. Leave us be,” Thomas exclaimed.

“I fell in love with her, and she has rejected me. She chose you of all the people, she chose you instead of me. And now, I will make her regret it for the rest of her life; I will make you regret it for the rest of your life.”

Thomas could imagine the number of things that he could do to her. He already imagined it and pictured it in his mind ever since they’ve been running away from him. He was suddenly afraid and desperate to do anything for him.

“Please! What do you want me to do for you to let her go?”

And he smiled for the slightest of a fraction. “Give her to me then.”

Thomas’ stomach dropped. He would never do that. He would never do that without a doubt. Genevieve would have forbid it as well if she were conscious right now. He promised her he would never do that. But suddenly, he had to choose whether he would give her up for her to live.

But that would mean that she would be living a life of sorrow. He knew that, and he was afraid to choose. Yet what he chose was the hardest choice of all.

“I can’t,” he said softly as if he was just talking to himself, “I can’t do that. I would rather let her die happy than live unhappy with you.”

Thomas could see that he has made him angry. The smile that had appeared on his face suddenly vanished as if it has never been there at all. He spoke, “So be it. If I could not have her, then you could not have her as well.”

He was standing, on thin air and was floating. He threw his hand and a whip of cloud had come out of it and suddenly Thomas was floating as well.

“I will make you ageless, make you live for the rest of your life and you will experience this again one day; to not have the woman you love. You will suffer, and I will watch happily while you fall into the ground and eat it.” Thomas had heard every word that he had said but was confused too much.

And he had faced Genevieve now. His face was forlorn and unhappy that he could not hide or contain it in himself. “As for her,” he said. “I will throw her off this building and she will fall timelessly below into Tartarus. She will die and you will watch her as she falls.”

He did exactly what he had promised and sworn. The moments had passed by so clearly and Thomas knew that it would be scarred in his mind for the rest of his life.

He had brought Genevieve with his other free hand and brought the both of them to the highest floor of the building. Thomas could see that it was night time; and the stars and moon were way up there while he and Genevieve were way below, waiting for their death sentence
.
“Here is to everything the both of you had done to me.” Now, Genevieve was thrown unconscious and Thomas had seen it. He suddenly noticed that he had never even said goodbye to her or even showed the perfect affection to her. He thought that maybe they had the slightest chances of all to escape. But now, that chance had vanished already into thin air.

Thomas could not say anything, his throat was sore and his mind was blank. The only thing that he knew was that he killed her. And Thomas could do nothing about it.

He had let go of Thomas and he fell in a thwack. Thomas could not feel anything, not his bones, not his muscles, not his skin, not even his heart. Thomas had sworn to himself that he would take revenge on him, the god who had killed the love of his life.

He walked away then, just in time for Thomas to memorize every thin line, every feature of his face. And he knew that he would break him as well. Break him as he had broken Thomas. He knew who he was and vowed to never forget it.

A god named Hermes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am surely grateful for comments, much more grateful if you can share this story with other people if you think this story has potential. Much love -Athy