Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

Won't Come Back This Time

“Help! I need help!” Alice looked at us in shock.
“What the hell?!?!” Rick demanded.
“Was he bitten?! What do you expect me to?” I knew that was the worst thing Alice could have said.
“I expect you to save his life! You can cut his leg off before the infection spreads!” Tyreese, Spark, Thorn and I placed Dale carefully on the bed as Hershel came in concerned with all the commotion. The others were loitering outside.
“Didn’t that kill Allen?” Hershel asked running his hand over his hair. “What makes you think it will work now?”
“Severing Allen’s leg didn’t kill him…it was infection or loss of blood or both.” Rick said kissing Lori’s head and standing.
“Alice can do this right. She can save his life. She cleaned up Rick’s hand and kept him from bleeding to death.” I stressed.
“We can do this, but it has to be now, before the infection spreads.” Everyone saw Alice falter, considering the chance of it working and Andrea was there to demand it.
“You heard them! Do it now! Cut off his foot!” Then Dale stirred enough to agree, to tell us to go ahead with it. Alice had picked up a bone saw.
“I’m not ready for this.” She whispered, her eyes filling with tears. Rick snatched the saw from her hand.
“Then you can clean up after! Someone tie off his leg!” But I was already moving picking a strap up off the side and tying it around Dale’s leg.
“You’re gunna be fine, you need to be, for Andrea and Caleb. Especially Caleb.” I muttered the last.
“Tyreese! Axel! Andrea! Hold him down! Everyone else leave.” I ushered the few Raiders and everyone else outside and I walked straight into Daryl.
“Jamie you alright? Merle said something about a Herd of Walkers and what the hell happened to Dale?” But I didn’t listen as I pulled him away from the others and kissed him. I wrapped my arms around him letting my hand knot in his hair holding him to me. “Jamie…Jamie what happened?”
“Nothing, I’m fine so is Merle, the Raiders had a spot of trouble with a small Herd, we took care of it. We found T-Dog and Dale outside. All we know is that Dale was….bitten.” I closed my eyes so acutely aware of the bite on my side that was still like a dull ache. Daryl pulled me into him and I rested my head against his chest. How did I even begin to say goodbye to him or anyone?
“Jamie!” Caleb called running towards us. I opened my arms and caught him, lifting him and spinning him in my arms.
“Hey sweetie, were you good for Daryl?”
“Yeah! I’m happy you’re back Jamie.” He grinned and I felt my heart break, I was going to leave him and never come back. Daryl looked at me puzzled and I plastered a huge shit eating grin on my face, grabbing him by his shirt so I could kiss him.
“Eww.” Caleb complained wrinkling his nose. I lifted him up and hugged him tight.
“I love you sweetie, I love you so much.” I said swallowing back the sudden urge to cry.
“Love you too Jamie.” He smiled and wriggled free running to Merle.
“Jamie what’s going on?”
“What do you mean?” I asked flashing a smile.
“Jamie,”
“Oh hey look you can come meet Thorn and Spark.” I said pulling him towards the two women. “Thorn, Spark this is Daryl, Merle’s brother.”
“Hey there Daryl, Thorn, your girl packs a punch. I can see why you like him Jamie.” She smirked checking him out. And for a second I wanted to deck her, here I was on deaths door and she was flirting with him. But they didn’t know.
“Spark.” Was all Spark said holding out her hand. Daryl shook it and offered a smile introducing himself.
Dale was still out, no one was sure if he would pull through Alice said it was all up to him now. I sat by Caleb’s bed as he went to sleep. I stayed with him till I was sure he was out cold and that everyone else was busy doing something else. My side was throbbing painfully so, as I stroked his hair.
“Caleb, I’m sorry that I won’t be coming back this time. I screwed up. I know between Daryl and Merle, you’ll be safe. I’m just sorry I couldn’t get you someplace safe first. Just know I love you as if you were my own son and I couldn’t be more proud of you.” I kissed his forehead and stood. I walked outside, the night was cold it was maybe 3 or 4 hours before dawn. I didn’t know how to tell Daryl and Merle good bye, but I figured the kiss with Daryl was enough. He knew something was up, but that was it. I’d got my gun with me, my gun, one that I could trust to get the job done. There would be no jamming or misfiring.
“Jamie what the hell do you think you’re doing.” I whirled seeing Merle and Daryl. Merle having been the one to speak.
“Nothing buttercup,” I smiled. “Hey Daryl….Caleb finally went to sleep.” Daryl just nodded eyeing my gun.
“What you got your gun out for?” My smile faltered and Daryl moved towards me. I twisted meaning to run, but fell gasping clutching my side having more than likely made the bite rip and worsen.
“Jamie!” Daryl knocked my gun away and pulled me to him. “What the fuck is wrong with you? Damn crazy girl!” I smiled up at him.
“Yeah, but I’m your crazy girl.” He tried to move my hands, but I wouldn’t let him.
“Jamie what is wrong with you!” He snapped and the next I knew he pinned me to the ground, straddling my waist.
“Daryl, what the hell are you thinking?!” Merle snapped just as Daryl pulled up my shirt showing the bandage that was seeping blood. I started to buck so he couldn’t shift the bandage. But Merle crouched beside us and took out a knife slitting it open.
“No Merle! Get off me!” I screamed, but it was too late Merle backed up so fast he landed on his ass, but Daryl just froze letting go of my hands, but stayed straddling me. I pulled at my shirt with one hand and wiped at my face with the other.
“When?” He asked, his voice cold and empty. I wanted nothing more than to hold him to tell him I’d be ok and not to worry.
“When we got to Perry. I didn’t notice till after they agreed…I tried to do it then, but the gun jammed.”
“That’s why you were ages in the bathroom.” Merle stated, I nodded looking up at the starry sky.
“What so you thought you’d come back so I’d do it for you?!” Daryl growled standing suddenly.
“No, No! Never…I wanted to say good bye…when the gun didn’t fire I took it as I needed to go back and say some kind of goodbye. I came out here to be alone to do it. Hell it’s why I tried to do it back there! I knew you’d feel you had to be the one to pull the trigger! I don’t want that on your conscience.” Daryl stood looking at me his face devoid of emotion except for a glossy look to his eyes. Daryl Dixon, my Daryl was going to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Will Jamie be ok? How is Daryl really taking it? Will Dale survive? Thanks to my reviewers, subscribers, to Krazy 13 for Thorn and SouloftheReaper for The Raiders and Spark!