Status: On going.

Crossbow Hearts

We're All Infected

Dawn was breaking when Daryl finally pulled to the side of the road, switching the engine to the motorbike off. I lifted my head from his shoulder and unlocked my arms from his waist. I felt exhausted, but worst of all for the first time since the world went to hell, I felt…defeated. I didn’t know if anyone but Daryl and I had survived. I stepped from the bike and staggered due to my tiredness. Daryl grabbed my arm steadying me. His hand suddenly tightened painfully around my wrist.
“Daryl you’re hurting me.” But his grip doesn’t loosen as his eyes fix on my arm. I follow his gaze and see the dried blood on my sleeve. Surely I would have felt the bite? But then again it was so chaotic and I was so pumped on adrenaline that maybe… I scrunch my eyes close as he yanks my sleeve up. I hear his breathe come out slowly and open my eyes seeing him relax though no one else would have noticed.
“We should head to the highway, try and find the others.” He says still holding my wrist his cobalt eyes now locked on mine. The tension between us is almost tangible, but it wasn’t like before. It didn’t feel hostile, my cheeks started to heat up at the intensity of his stare. Eventually he looks away and I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. He releases my wrist and climbs back on to his bike and motions me on. I loosely wrap my arms around his waist and I notice his scent as he starts the bike, sweat, dirt and animal. I breathe in the unmistakable scent of Daryl and feel myself relax. It’s not long till we have found most of the others, but Hershel’s SUV and my truck are nowhere to be seen. Daryl seemed to pick up on my worry.
“Kids smart and tough, he’ll be fine.” Though the words from Daryl’s mouth are harsh I knew they were meant to calm and reassure me. Which is what they did. I smiled lightly and let my head rest against his shoulder again. The bike slowed as we weaved through the abandoned cars with the convey of others behind us. Hershel’s SUV suddenly came in to view and moments later so too did my truck. I hugged Daryl’s waist tighter.
“You were right!” I smiled. A ghost of a smile flickers over his lips as he nods. He pulls to a stop the convey of cars stopping behind us. Three bodies stand up with two smaller ones standing up next. I hop off my tiredness evaporating just as I hear one of the car doors slam shut. I run forward and am met halfway by Caleb. His baby blues glistening with tears as I pick him up and crush him to me, kissing his dirty blonde hair as he cries. I see a similar scene unfold between, Lori, Carl and Rick and with Hershel and his daughters. Holding Caleb tightly I walk to Dale smiling. With my free arm I hug him and kiss his bearded cheek.
“Thank you for keeping him safe Dale.”
“It was the least I could do. After all you did save my life.” He smiles ruffling Caleb’s hair as he leans back.
“You came back Jamie. I knew you would! I told Dale you would too.” I smile again my heart light and full of joy.
“I always come back for you Caleb. Always.” We walk to the rest of the group everyone becoming solemn as we recount who we’ve lost.
“But Andrea might still be alive. I heard a gun go off as she went down. Maybe the walker just fell on her as she shot it?” Carol offered. It was plausible. I didn’t have chance to check between saving Carol and being attacked by the Z then Daryl getting me.
“I’ll go back and see if I can find her.” Daryl offered starting to head to his bike. I couldn’t let him go on his own. What if he didn’t come back?
“No, Daryl there’s no way of finding her. She’s lost.” Rick told him. And as much as I hated to leave someone behind I couldn’t help but feel relieved that Daryl wouldn’t be risking his life. I was starting to feel something for him and as much as I didn’t want to, as he was as moody and bad tempered as I could be I was drawn to him. Like a moth to a flame.
“We should keep moving.” Hershel stated so after a brief respite we headed back to our vehicles. I wanted to go with Daryl, but Caleb held my hand and I slowly walked to my truck with him and Dale.
We began driving, where to nobody knew, but hopefully we’d find safety again. Dale asked me about Andrea and how we lost her. I told him the truth that she had saved Carol and that I tried, but failed to help her. After several hours driving Hershel tooted his horn. I looked in my rear view to see his SUV coming to a halt. Everybody else came to a stop. Most everybody got out of the cars to stretch their legs.
“I’m out of gas. We won’t be going anywhere till we have more.” Hershel told us.
“Well me and Glenn can always go and find a gas station.” Maggie offered.
“No we don’t know how far away one is. And what happens if you run outta gas or break down. You’ll be sitting ducks. No we’ll make camp by the road side and then head out together in the morning. We found each other against all odds, we aren’t splitting up again.” Rick told us. He was clearly under a lot of pressure and struggling to deal with things. This was hardly a safe spot to rest.
“Take a look around, walkers are everywhere. It isn’t safe.” Glenn countered. But we built up a small fire at the roadside anyway and ate a small meal when Rick stood up.
“Look I believe there is somewhere safe for all of us, we just have to find it.” Rick insists. Daryl steps a little closer.
“Are we though? You know I found Randal? He’d turned, but he wasn’t bit.” Rick suddenly turns solemn and flicker of guilt crosses his face.
“How is that possible?” Beth asks quietly.
“What the hell happened?” Lori questions staring at Rick.
“Shane killed Randal just like he always wanted to.” Daryl tells them.
“And then the herd got him?” Lori asks. But I already knew what happened.
“We’re all infected.” Didn’t they already know this?
“What?” Daryl looks at him confused.
“At the CDC Jenner told me whatever it is we all carry it.” Rick tells them all. Everybody suddenly gets pissy about it demanding to know why they hadn’t been told. I sit quietly with Caleb lying next to me just watching. “I had no way of knowing if it was true until now.” Then he walks away. Lori following behind.
“Didn’t you all know this?” I ask looking round the group.
“What do you mean Jamie?” Dale asks.
“Whatever this is,” I motioned round at us. “Went air born fast. I don’t know how it started or where it came from. I know that it comes on like a flu virus and the first people hit with it started to lose feeling in their bodies. Apparently not long after they lose their minds. They started to feed on themselves as they couldn’t feel the pain. That’s when they got the taste for flesh. And there it went viral, a scratch a bite and you’re screwed. But somewhere along the way it went air born. Now everyone is infected and it’s just waiting for us to die.” Everyone seemed shocked, but I thought it was common knowledge. Lori came back to camp angry and clearly upset Rick following behind. Everyone started up again about Rick not telling them what this guy Jenner had told him.
“I killed my best friend for you people. Yet you don’t trust me to keep you safe” I wanted to get up and pat him on the back, but everyone except me, Daryl and Dale were shocked by the revelation, Carl began to cry. “I believe there is somewhere out there for us. But maybe it’s another pipe dream. You can all leave whenever you want, but if you stay then this isn’t a democracy anymore!” Everyone remained silent. So Rick went and sat back down a little way from the group. Carol who’d been quieter than usual walked a little way away on her own. I was worried about her. I hoped she didn’t blame Andrea’s death on herself.
“Dale can you watch Caleb?” I asked as Caleb laid curled up on my jacket between us.
“Of course.” He smiled and I stood dusting the dirt from my clothes and walking after Carol. She stood leaning against a tree. I walked up behind her making a little noise so I didn’t scare her.
“Carol?” Her head dropped like she wanted to be alone, but I couldn’t leave her. “I hope you don’t blame Andrea’s death on yourself. There was nothing you or I could have done. I know this is a hard time for everyone, but Ricks right. We’ll find someplace safe and we can mourn everybody we’ve lost.” My words seemed to fall on deaf ears as she continued to ignore me. I reached out my hand going to her shoulder. “Carol, just look at me ok? We can go sit back with the others now is not the time to be on your own.” I took a step closer turning her to me when she lunged. She knocked me to the ground snapping at my face. She wasn’t Carol anymore. A scream escaped my lips as I struggled to get her off and keep her from biting or scratching me. She got closer and closer to my face. Footsteps could be heard coming closer. A whizzing noise reached my ears followed by a trickle of blood from Carols head then she slumped against me. Everyone’s voices were above me. I couldn’t make out what they were saying I was panicked and all I could hear was my heart thudding loudly. Twice in twenty four hours my life had almost ended. I felt weak and couldn’t push her body from mine. Suddenly the weight was gone Daryl lifting me up and checking me over for bite marks. As he leaned closer moving hair from my face to make sure the blood there wasn’t my own I crumbled and wrapped my arms tightly round him. And for the first time I cried. I didn’t sob, but the tears streamed down my face endlessly as I held myself to Daryl. He slowly slipped his arms round me and held me gently.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what did you guys think? I shouldn’t have killed Carol, but damn she annoys me! And having her turn and be killed by Daryl I can’t actually take credit for that goes to my friends husband, Danny, he’ll probably not see, but thanks :D Where will the group go to now? Will they find safety? Will we see any of the characters return? R&R please :D