Status: Active! But I Need Comments!

Caving In

Happy Birthday, Mattie (Part One)

“Don’t you guys think it’s time to take a break yet?” I questioned, walking into the guest room that Mason and I had once occupied. For days, Matt and the boys had worked to completely gut the room, tear up the carpet, repaint the walls and construct a massive canopy bed built for a king. Matt was thrilled to renovate a room in his home specifically for his son, his main priority since I’d agreed that we’d stay. The feelings of doubt I had had in my mind since the day Matt showed up were all but gone, I was finally happy; still jobless, but happy.

Matt grinned widely, climbing down the latter he’d been working on, “We’re almost finished,” he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to my lips.

“Well damn, I never thought I’d see that again,” Brian chuckled, returning to the room with a cold beer in each hand. “This is for you birthday boy.”

Matt accepted the beer with a smile, wrapping a muscular arm around my waist to pull me into his chest. “The room looks great guys,” I complimented, glancing around. “Mason is going to freak out when he sees this,” and that was the truth. The walls, which had once been a boring shade of white, were now a beautiful shade of royal blue and the pale carpet had been replaced with gorgeous mahogany wood panels. “This kid is spoiled,” I giggled, hugging Matt.

He smiled proudly, taking a swig of his beer, “What’s next?” he asked to nobody in particular.

Jimmy sighed, scratching the back of his head as he looked around the room, “Zack and I are going to finish up the desk and Brian and Johnny are just about done with Little Dude’s dresser so,” he dragged out the ‘o’ playfully, “just moving Mason in.”

“Sounds easy enough,” Matt chuckled. “Al and I are gonna head down to the store then, pick some more stuff up,” he announced, taking my hand and leading me out the door.

“More stuff, Matt? Really?” I laughed.

“He needs stuff to fill the emptiness,” Matt shrugged, “Posters, shelves, toys. Anything I can get my hands on for him.” I shook my head, giggling as we climbed into the Escalade. “Hey, don’t laugh at me,” Matt scolded, softly. “When I was kid, you couldn’t see the walls I had so much shit everywhere. I just want the same for Mace.”

“Matt, that’s really sweet,” I smiled, reaching to take hold of his hand on the center console. “But you also had a nudy filled closet.”

Matt’s laugh rang out loudly, “Okay, okay, we’ll take it easy now but when he’s older…”

“Matt!”

“I’m just kidding, Al,” Matt grinned as we stopped at a light; his dimples were in full force as they had been for weeks now. His thumb brushed lightly over my knuckles, sending shivers down my spine. After all these years, all the drama, and the distance, this man, this incredible man and the father of my son, could throw my body into hysterics with the simplest gestures.

“I love you, Matt.”

Matt turned his head, his thin lips still curved up toward the sky, “I love you too, baby,” he whispered, pecking my lips gently. Some asshat behind us honked, ruining out sweet moment. “Opps,” Matt laughed, turning back to the road as he pressed on the gas.

***

Three hours later, we left the store hand and hand with a cart full of every little boy’s dream. Spiderman posters galore, brand new shelves to hold all of the new action figures and countless other items that would keep Mason busy for hours. “You’re crazy, Matt,” I chuckled, popping the trunk open. He wouldn’t let me see the bill, but I could only imagine.

“Crazy for you, maybe,” he sighed, kissing my head as he began to load bags into the back.

I gagged playfully, “Still a cheeseball I see.”

“Always,” Matt grinned, winking at me.

“Hey Matt?” I questioned once we were back in the car.

“Yes?”

“What are we doing for your birthday tonight?”

Matt shrugged his shoulders, “Finish Mason’s room?”

I scoffed loudly, causing Matt to turn his head in my direction, “Oh hell no. Matt, I’m not letting you spend your birthday working.”

Matt’s eyes widened, “Why not?”

“It’s unacceptable, Matthew! You only turn 26 once!”

Matt laughed, “Wow, Allie. I guess if I have to...”

I glared at him playfully, “You do.”

“Fine,” he grunted, smirking. “We’ll go grab Mace from my parents, pick up a pizza and some movies. The guys can stay if they want, you can call Lindsay and Drew. It’s simple but that sounds absolutely perfect to me,” Matt gripped my hand again, his thumb back to tracing invisible patterns on my palm.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go out with your friends?” I questioned, still unsure. “You’ve spent every waking moment with Mason and I, not to mention you and the boys have worked your asses off in that room. You deserve a night out.”

Matt shook his head, “I know that I should probably agree with you, but that is the last thing I want. I want to be home with my girl and our son. Partying just isn’t my thing anymore.”

My heart fluttered in my chest. Was he finally growing up? Of course he was, he proved that every single day, to me, to his mother and most importantly to his son. “Okay, baby. If that’s what you want, I won’t argue anymore.”

Matt gasped, “It’s a miracle!”

“Oh hush,” I giggled, smacking his arm. I couldn’t wait to get home and be with the people I loved.

***

“Okay Mace,” Matt sighed, kneeling in front of the little boy. “Which movie?”

Mason put his head on his hand, tapping his finger on his chin as he looked at the movies in Matt’s hand. I bit my lip to keep the giggles from escaping, looking across the room at a laughing Lindsay. This kid was something else. “Hmm,” he sighed. “That one,” he pointed, looking up at Matt for approval.

Matt grinned, “National Treasure, huh? Sounds good to me, what about you, mama?”

“Hm?”I laughed, “Oh yeah, that’s fine.” Mason cheered loudly, pumping his fist in the air beside me. I ran my hand through his blonde hair, chuckling, “You’ve been watching baseball with Uncle Zack, haven’t you?”

Mason giggled, “Go Angels!”

“That a boy!” Zacky laughed as he walked by, reaching out his hand for a high five.

“You’re corrupting my son, Baker,” I kidded, pointing a finger at the man as plopped down on the couch across the room.

“Nah,” he swatted his hand the air. “Just teachin’ him the way to a good life.”

Matt returned to the living room with a bowl of popcorn, moving Mason so that he was situated perfectly in between us. “Popcorn?” he offered, handing the bowl to his son.

“Yo Matt!” Brian called loudly, “Someone’s knocking at the door.”

Matt looked at me confused, “Did you invited someone else?” He questioned, getting up from the leather couch.

I shook my head, passing Mason to Zacky as I followed Matt to the door. Matt looked through the peep hole, his whole body becoming still. “Shit,” he murmured, reaching for the door handle.

“Who is it Matt?”

Matt didn’t answer, throwing open the door to reveal the one woman that could jeopardize everything we had built. Val.