‹ Prequel: The Best Mistake
Status: completed!

The Worst Choice

Oh, that's all?

It's been two weeks since I'd found out about Colin and Kat and I hadn't spoken to either of them since- I'd barely even seen them. It wasn't like I was avoiding them or anything, Kat's just seemed to be staying out of my way and until I figured out how I felt about it, I definitely wasn't going to be going on a search for her.

"You know, about this whole Kat thing, I don't think you should really hold too much of a grudge over it," Taylor spoke carefully during lunch. "She's considering breaking up with him because she feels so bad."

"I agree," Harry agreed. "You and Colin haven't been involved for, what, two years? And even then, you two technically were never together. I don't really think it's that big of a deal." Jenn smacked his chest, glaring at her boyfriend.

I chuckled slightly. "How do you even know that?" I pondered. "I don't remember knowing you when Colin and I were seeing each other..."

He nodded toward Jenn. "She's filled me in on everything," he explained. "I almost feel like I was there, with how much she's been stressing over it."

"I have not been stressing over it," Jenn denied. "I've just needed someone to vent to and you happen to be there."

"Yeah, because you won't let me touch you until you've 'cleared your mind'."

"How am I supposed to focus on sex when I-"

"Not lunch conversation!" Taylor interrupted, not being the only one to have to listen about their sex life.

"I'm just saying," Harry shrugged. "I think you should just kiss and make up because Jenn's not even directly involved and it's distracting her. Plus, why let something as little as an ex-boyfriend ruin a friendship?"

"Yeah, but-"

Jenn cut me off. "But it's in the girl code handbook; ex's are off-limits," she told him. "Especially since Ashlyn used to be like, head over heels in love with Colin. I get that things happen, but two people hooking up... does that really just happen?"

"It did with us," he pointed out. "You were tutoring me and we just happened to get together."

She scoffed. "I offered to tutor you for a reason, babe. That did not 'just happen'," she informed him.

I looked between the two of them. "Is this supposed to help me?" I asked, listening to their conversation with amusement.

"The point is," Harry emphasized, his hand over Jenn's mouth. When she struggled, he held the back of her head with his other hand to keep her still. I stifled a laugh. "Shit happens. You're happy with your boyfriend now, right?" I nodded. "Then I don't know why this isn't an easy answer. Your friend or ex's love life is irrelevant because you've got your own. I don't mean any offense by this, but you're kind of acting like a jealous ex-girlfriend."

"I don't agree with the last thing he said," Taylor started, giving Harry a pointed look. He just shrugged and let go of Jenn, barely flinching as she punched his shoulder. "But it really shouldn't matter. Sure, if it bothers you, let Kat know. He's your ex and she's your friend, it's not weird for it to bother you. But I don't think you should completely cut Kat out of your life for it."

Jenn snapped. "Look at the brightside," she said happily. "If you forgive her, we won't have to change our Halloween plans!"

"Is that really your biggest concern? Matching costumes and a Halloween party?" Taylor asked Jenn, who just shrugged in response.

I laughed as the bell rang, signalling lunch was over. "Thanks, guys. You've been a real help," I thanked them, only half meaning it.

* * * *


"I have a question," I started, interrupting the movie that was currently playing on the TV. It was some action movie that Nash had seen a thousand times and even though I hadn't and wanted to see it, my mind was in other places.

"Hmm?" Nash hummed.

I felt bad when I heard how tired he sounded. I looked down at his head that was resting on my lap and his eyes were closed, his chest rising and falling at a steady pace. He was probably just about to fall asleep when I interrupted him. He had woken up at four in the morning to go to work and didn't get off until three. He'd been working much longer hours since he went back to work. When I asked him why the hell he was working between nine and twelve hours every day, when he usually only worked about six or seven, he just told me that he wanted to make up for the time he took off. I was almost sure that he was lying but I didn't want to press the matter. "Nevermind," I mumbled. "Lift up your head real quick?"

He lazily did so and I quickly slipped off the couch, replacing my spot with a pillow. I sat on ground, pulling on my shoes. "Leaving?" he asked, lifting himself so he was resting on his elbows.

"Yeah," I nodded, rising to my feet. "You've been working all day and you really deserve a nap, so I think I'll just go home."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Okay," he replied unsurely.

I gave him a quick smile, pressing my lips to his quickly. "I love you. I'll see you later, alright?" I said, turning on my heel to leave. But before I could, Nash had grabbed my hand and pulled me back- causing me to fall onto him and him to let out an 'oof'. "That was not my fault," I claimed, getting off of him and sitting on the couch.

He chuckled, sitting up. "I know," he assured. "Look, I'll start going to bed earlier so that I'm not as tired as I have been lately and I'm not sleeping every time we get to hang out again."

"Nash, I get it," I told him sincerely. "It doesn't bother me too much, I swear."

"Then what's up with you?" he questioned. "You've been distracted since you got here. If it doesn't have anything to do with me, then what is it?"

I debated on whether or not I should tell him. Should I really vent to my boyfriend about my ex-boyfriend? Finally, I sighed. "There's been girls before me, right?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "You already know the answer to that," he answered.

I rolled my eyes. "No, not like that. I mean, like a girlfriend or something," I explained.

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know what you meant. I thought you already knew the answer," he responded. "No, Ash. You're basically my first everything, unless you count this girl that kissed me my freshman year, but that was all teeth and her braces, so it's kind of a repressed memory." I laughed, ignoring the feeling in my stomach. I didn't know I was literally his first everything. "Why?"

"This might come out wrong," I warned. He just shrugged, waiting for me to continue. I sighed, turning to face him. "Do you remember Colin?" His eyes narrowed slightly, which I took as a yes. "I can't remember if I ever told you, but we used to be... involved. But that was before you even came into the picture, I swear," I quickly added, seeing his expression. "Anyway, it turns out that he's the mystery guy that Kat's been seeing."

He didn't say anything for a few seconds. "Oh, that's all?" he asked. "I don't think I see the issue here..."

"I just- it kind of bothers me that they're dating. My ex and one of my best friends, you know?" I answered.

"Why would that bother you? You're over him, right?" he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes! Yes, of course," I assured him. "It's not really that it bothers me that he's dating someone else, it just kind of seems like Kat doesn't care that him and I have history."

He shrugged. "I don't know what to say," he concluded. "I haven't been in the situation, but I don't think it's a big deal as long as there's no more feelings."

"Nash, I swear it's not because I still have feelings for him. I love you," I insisted. "I don't know. Taylor's saying the same thing. I guess you guys are right."

"I always am," he said.

I laughed, "Yeah, right," I said sarcastically. "Thanks for everything. I'm still gonna go though because you look half-dead."

"You are the sweetest girlfriend in the world, aren't you?" he asked. I laughed, leaning in to give him a quick kiss. When I went to pull away, his hand went to the back of my head to keep me in place, deepening the kiss as well. It only took a few seconds for me to come to my senses and pulled away. "What?"

"Levi's mom or sister can walk in at any second," I scolded him, standing up. He held his hands up in defeat, a smirk on his lips. "I'll see you later. I love you."

"Love you too," he called as I walked away with a grin on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm gonna start heading this story in the direction of the end. I already know how it's going to end and that's the only part of this story I'm excited about, aw.
iwanttomakeafanfictionsobadbutidontthinkicandoitandijustughwriterproblemsugh.

Anyway, thanks a ton to itsparamshayall, xoxo_aj_xoxo, MoMo_92, Shadow14, TayVengeance, vmusicforlove, MerciPorLeVenin, ImJustLaya and NothinNNomore for the amazing comments! You guys are so awesome c: