‹ Prequel: The Huntress
Status: Comment and Subscribe :)

Eyes Open

Chapter Three

Adyrn’s POV

When I woke up, my back felt like it was on fire. I moaned lightly and I heard someone shoot up next to me. I couldn’t sit up because it hurt too much but I couldn’t seem to open my eyes up either.

“Squeeze my hand if you can hear me Adyrn,” I heard Gale’s voice.

I squeezed his hand.

“Gale?” I whispered as the pain started to increase again.

“I’m right here Adyrn,” I heard him say, “And I’m not leaving you until you’re all healed up.”

“Hurts,” I mumbled as the tears started to fall.

“I know baby girl,” he whispered and then I could feel his hand wiping away my tears, “Your mom and Prim are taking care of your back for you.”

I felt like an idiot because I couldn’t form a full sentence because my brain was telling me that my back was on fire and that I needed to get some sleep.

“Just rest Adyrn,” Gale whispered running his hands through my hair soothingly, “Don’t fight it right now and just rest.”

For some reason—personally I think it was because the pain was too unbearable—I let my body relax and I fell asleep. I don’t know how long I was out for but the next time I woke up, my back wasn’t on fire but when my eyes opened I saw I was on the dining room table with my back to the ceiling and my clothes that were on me tattered and stained with my blood. I didn’t dare try to sit up but I moved my head to the right to see that Gale was sleeping with his head on the table with my hand next to him. I slowly moved my hand from between his hands and ran my hands through his hair. I don’t know how long it was sitting there but from the looks of his clothes, I knew he didn’t leave my side much. Gale looked peaceful in his sleep for some reason because I remember when we were in the cave, he tossed and turned a lot because of the nightmares he had. I don’t know what the nightmares were from but I have a feeling it was from when our fathers died in the mining accident five years ago. As I was running my hands through his hair, Gale immediately shot up and looked over at me and relief washed over his face.

“You’re awake,” he said and smiled a genuine smile.

“I’m awake,” I whispered and smiled lightly.

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you,” he whispered as he ran a hand through my hair.

“It’s not your fault Gale,” I said, “I didn’t know we had a new head peacekeeper.”

“It is too,” he said, “If I would have manned up and told you that I’ve always loved you and I was just acting like a scared little boy none of this would’ve happened. I would’ve been with you and I would’ve taken the blame and. . .”

As he continued to rant, those four little words sank in. Gale Hawthorne really did love me. He always had he’s just been too scared to say it out loud.

“You really do love me,” I said, “And you’re not lying this time because if you are Gale. . .”

Gale then stopped ranting and looked at me.

“I’m not lying,” Gale said, “I know you think the whole asking you to marry me at the Capitol Ball was to save us and prove to them that it wasn’t an act of rebellion but the more I thought about it and the more Katniss made me look at it. I do love you Adyrn and not in some brotherly-sisterly kind of way in a way that I want us to get married before the Victory Tour.”

“What?” I asked looking at him like he was crazy.

I then heard footsteps and we both looked up to see Haymitch and my mother walk in.

“You’re not moaning in pain sweetheart,” Haymitch said and I rolled my eyes.

“And I didn’t miss you at all Abernathy,” I replied and he just smiled at shook his head.

“How do you feel sweetheart?” my mom asked me.

“There’s a dull pain but it’s not on fire like it was before,” I said, “I can somewhat think now.”

“Okay,” she said, “Well let Prim and I bandage you up and you be able to move a little bit.”

I nodded my head and she went to go get Prim. I then looked over at Haymitch and Gale.

“So I know why Gale is here,” I said smiling, “Why are you here Haymitch?”

“To come check on you,” he said, “Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

“Maybe,” I said smiling and then laughing when Gale’s face paled, “I’m just kidding Gale. I really didn’t know that Cray wasn’t Head Peacekeeper though. If I would’ve known, I would’ve given the wolf to Greasy Sae.”

“Well now we can’t go into the woods,” Gale said, “Thread’s probably has the fence electrified now.”

“Probably,” I said.

“Adyrn!” Prim exclaimed.

“Hey Prim,” I said and smiled at her.

“You back looks a lot better,” she said.

“Thanks Prim,” I said as she shooed Gale and Haymitch out of the room.

My mom and Prim quickly bandaged me up and they let me wear a robe so that I could go upstairs to change into a shirt. I walked into the living room to see Gale and Haymitch talking and Haymitch was smiling.

“Did he tell you what he told me?” I asked.

“About the marrying you before the Victory Tour,” Haymitch said and then I saw my mother smile.

“I take it he talked to you about it too?” I asked.

“Maybe,” my mother smirked.

“So when’s the date since you, your mother, and my mother have talked about this?” I asked smiling.

“The end of next month,” he said, “We’ve kind of spread the word too and we’re getting married in the Seam.”

If I could smile even wider than I was I would’ve. I remember telling Gale when I was about seventeen that if I ever got married I would want to do it in the Seam. I wouldn’t want to get married in the Justice Building at all. It brought back to many bad memories of when my father was honored. I told him I wanted a small wedding of my closest friends and family and that they could watch my husband and I toast our first loaf in our house.

“I have to make a dress!” I exclaimed and my mother just laughed at me.

“I already picked out some fabric and you and I can make your dress and then Prim’s and Katniss’ dresses.”

“We have so much to do Gale,” I said turning to look at him and he smiled at me and grabbed my hands.

“Don’t worry I’ve taken care of almost everything except your dress,” Gale said.

“How long have I been out then?” I asked.

“A good week,” he said and my mouth hit the floor.

“A week,” I said in shock.

“You were lashed forty-five times according to Peeta,” Haymitch said.

“You passed out around twenty-one lashes,” Gale said.

“I lasted that long,” I said shocked, “I didn’t think I lasted that long.”

“Yeah,” he said, “but let’s not worry about that.”

I nodded my head and then I went to go stand up but Gale wouldn’t let me.

“Gale I have to go bathe and change my clothes,” I said.

“No you don’t,” he said, “I’m not letting you out of my sight until I deem it safe.”

I sighed and then I heard Haymitch laugh.

“It’s going to be interesting to see you married,” he said as he stood up, “Well I’m going to head home.”

“Thanks for stopping by Haymitch,” I said standing up and hugging him.

“No problem sweetheart,” he said, “I’m glad that you’re okay.”

“Thanks Haymitch,” I said and Prim showed him out the door.

Once Haymitch left, Prim came back into the living to check up on me.

“Do you need anything Adyrn?” she asked.

“Do you know where Katniss is?” I asked.

“In her room,” Prim said, “She hasn’t come down since she saw you right after. . .”

“Thanks Prim,” I said standing up and Gale was quick to help me up.

I let him walk me to the stairs and then I made him stop.

“I need to do this alone Gale,” I said, “Go home and get changed and get something to eat. You haven’t eaten in days.”

“I have,” Gale started as his stomach growled.

“Please,” I said, “I’ll be in the house promise.”

“Okay,” he sighed and he kissed my forehead, “I’ll be back as fast as I can.”

He then walked to the front door before I could protest. I sighed and then slowly made my way to Katniss’ room. I knocked on the door and when I didn’t get a response I lightly pushed the door open. Katniss was sitting on her bed staring out the window she had facing the woods of District 12.

“Can we talk?” I asked.

“Now you want to talk,” she said in a monotone voice.

“If you don’t want to talk you don’t have to,” I said, “Am I allowed to come in?”

“Sure,” she said and I walked in and shut the door.

I then walked over to her bed and sat down.

“The reason why I didn’t tell you about anything that happened after the games was because I didn’t want you to worry Katniss,” I said, “and I know you’re almost eighteen and that you can take care of yourself but I thought if something were to happen to me or Gale that the less you knew was better. That meant the Capitol wouldn’t punish you, Prim, Mom, or Gale’s family as harshly as they would if you all knew why Gale and I were so on edge when we got back. Then when Gale told me on the train that he wasn’t sure if he loved you or me, one my heart broke and I became very jealous of you. I know you think I’m crazy based on the look you’re giving me now but I was. I couldn’t understand how he could love both of us but then when I thought about it I could see why. You two are lot alike. You share the same humor, hunting skills, outlook on life. The only thing Gale and I had in common was that we were good hunters and our fathers died in mining accident. That’s why I started distancing myself from the both of you. It wasn’t out of spite or hatred that you were thinking but it was out of protecting myself. I needed some distance so that if Gale picked you that I wouldn’t completely shut down and stop functioning. I know I sound like some of the girls in your class but I wanted you to know where I was coming from when I started becoming a cold hearted girl and I’m sorry and I hope you can forgive me someday because I want you to be my maid of honor in my wedding.”

I then stood up with some help from Katniss’ bedframe and headed towards the door.

“Hey Adyrn,” Katniss said as my hand hit the doorknob.

“Yeah Kat,” I said turning around.

“I would love to be your maid of honor and thanks for explaining everything to me,” she smiled at me, “It makes me understand a lot more now and this has helped me realized that I love Peeta just as much as you love Gale.”

“Glad I could help,” I smiled and then she got off her bed and hugged me lightly as not to bother my back.

“You’re alright you know that Everdeen,” she said and I chuckled and hugged her back.

“You’re not so bad yourself Catnip,” I said and she smiled up at me.

“You need to shower you reek like medicine and other things,” Katniss laughed.

“Thanks for the honesty,” I smirked and she went back to the window.

I then made my way to the bathroom to see my mother already drawing up a bath.

“Thanks Mom,” I said quietly, “I really appreciate it.”

“No problem sweetheart,” she said and I smiled at her.

“I’m sorry I did something so stupid,” I said as she helped me into the bathtub.

“Sweetheart you didn’t know,” she said, “We all didn’t know until we saw what happened.”

“I’m still sorry,” I said, “I shouldn’t have even thought about that.”

“Sweetheart don’t worry about it,” she said, “Things were like this before Cray was Head Peacekeeper it just looks like were going back to those days.”

I just nodded my head and let her wash my back.

“You know it’s almost healed,” she said and I looked at her as I washed my hair and the rest of my body, “I know you feel like it’s scabbed and it is but the scabs should start falling in the next couple of days.”

“Really?” I asked shocked.

“Yeah,” she said as she helped me out of the tub and to my room.

“That’s good,” I said and then grabbed some clothes and put them on.

I braided my hair and then looked at my mother.

“We should get started on the design for my dress,” I said and my mother smiled lightly at me.

“I have an idea for that,” she said smiling lightly.

She then took my hand and we walked down the hallway to her room. When we walked into her room, my mouth dropped.

“I know it’s a little too long but we can cut it to the length you want,” she said and tears started coming up.

“Oh Mom,” I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe!