‹ Prequel: The Huntress
Status: Comment and Subscribe :)

Eyes Open

Chapter Five

Once everyone left to go back home, I looked over our living room and kitchen to see it completely messy.

“Oh my god,” I said, “Look at this place.”

“Just clean it up tomorrow,” Gale chuckled putting his chin on my shoulder.

“I can’t,” I said smiling up at him, “Remember we’re leaving for the Victory Tour in a couple of days.”

“Well before you start your wife duties,” he said, “What has become your hobby?”

“Singing,” I said, “I remember having my grandpa teaching me how to make a guitar and I was taught to play piano by Mrs. Winters in music class so I’ve been writing a song. Do you want to hear it?”

“Sure,” he smiled, “I’d love to.”

I then quickly dashed into my music room and grabbed the guitar and walked into the living room to see Gale fixing the fire and sat down next to it. He then looked at me and I smiled as I sat down next to him and started singing and playing the song that helped me get through the aftermath of the Hunger Games.

Everybody's waiting
Everybody's watching
Even when you're sleeping
Keep your eye, eyes open

The tricky thing is
Yesterday we were just children
Playing soldiers, just pretending
Dreaming dreams with happy endings
In backyards,
Winning battles with the wooden swords
But now we've stepped into a cruel world
Where everybody stands up,
And keeps score

Keep your eyes open

Everybody's waiting
For you to breakdown
Everybody's watching
To see the fallout
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open

So here you are,
Two steps ahead and staying on guard,
Every lesson forms a new scar
They never thought you'd make it this far

But turn around
Now they've surrounded you
It's a showdown
And nobody comes to save you now
But you got something they don't
Yeah, you got something they don't
You just gotta keep your eyes open

Everybody's waiting
For you to breakdown
Everybody's watching
To see the fallout
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes

Keep your feet ready
Heartbeat steady
Keep your eyes open
Keep your aim locked
The night grows dark
Keep your eyes open

Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open

Everybody's waiting
For you to breakdown
Everybody's watching
To see the fallout
Even when you're sleeping, sleeping
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open
Keep your eyes open
Keep your eye, eyes open


When I was done with the song, I looked up to see Gale staring at me in disbelief.

“You wrote that song about The Hunger Games didn’t you?” he asked and I nodded my head.

“It helped a little with the nightmares,” I said quietly, “They were pretty bad when I got home and we stopped sleeping in the same bed.”

“So did mine,” he said.

“What’s your hobby?” I asked quietly and Gale smiled at me.

“Let me go grab the boxes,” he said and I nodded my head as he rushed up the stairs into our room I was guessing.

He came down about five minutes later with a box full of something. I made room for him on the couch and he sat down next to me setting the box on the floor and opened the box and started putting figurines on the table. They were all carved and painted by hand.

“These are incredible,” I said in awe picking up one of me and Gale, “and you did all of these by hand.”

“Yeah,” he said and I saw him blush slightly.

“And you have a figurine for everyone,” I said smiling lightly when I started pulling out figurines of my mom, Prim, Katniss, Peeta, Rory, Posy, Hazelle, Vick, Haymitch, Cinna, Portia, and Effie, “and they’re all so real Gale. These are amazing.”

“You think so,” he said and I looked up at him and smiled.

“I know so,” I said and kissed him.

“Well you’re song is amazing,” he said and kissed my temple as we snuggled on the couch, “Hopefully I can help you with the nightmares.”

“I hope I can help you with yours,” I said quietly.

We then sat in silence still in our wedding outfits and we were enjoying ourselves and each other’s company. I was slowly starting to fall asleep when there was a knock at the door.

“I’ll go get,” Gale said, “You just stay here.”

“Are you sure sweetheart?” I asked and he smiled.

“Yeah,” he said.

I nodded my head and he went to go answer the door and I started cleaning up the living room. I was cleaning up the trash around the room when Gale and someone I wouldn’t think came in.

“Congratulations Mrs. Hawthorne,” I heard President Snow’s voice and I immediately stood up and turned around.

“Oh my,” I said, “Thank you President Snow. What do we owe this special visit for?”

“Well there was a rumor going around that you and Gale were getting married so I had to come see it for myself,” he said smiling at me, “I didn’t think you two would jump to get married so quickly.”

“We wanted to get married before the Victory Tour,” I said, “So Gale and I have been planning the wedding like crazy. We tried sending you an invitation to the wedding but the snow was so bad that mail wasn’t leaving here when we were sending them out. If you would like I can get you your invite. I have it on the desk in the study.”

“If you wouldn’t mind,” he said.

I then quickly rushed off to the study and grabbed the extra invitation I made that had President Snow & Family in the calligraphy I was taught in school. When I came back, President Snow and Gale were talking.

“Here you sir,” I said handing him the invitation.

“Thank you Adyrn,” he said, “I was talking to Gale here about having another wedding that the Capitol can put on for you.”

“Oh you don’t have to do that President Snow,” I said, “Gale and I had a beautiful wedding here.”

“Oh I bet you did Adyrn but I want to do this,” he said.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Of course,” he smiled but there was something about his smile that made me feel funny.

“What do you want to do babe?” I asked looking at Gale.

“Can we give you an answer when we get to the Capitol?” he asked.

“Of course,” President Snow said standing up, “but I better get back to the Capitol. Panem doesn’t run itself you know.”

“Well thank you for visiting us President Snow,” I said as we walked him out.

“Well thank you for letting me see your home,” he said, “We’ll see you soon Mr. and Mrs. Hawthorne.”

“See you soon,” we said and then let him out and watched as he walked down back to town.

Once we shut the door, Gale and I looked at each other.

“Whatever happens,” he said caressing my cheek, “Know that I will always love you.”

“I love you too,” I said and we kissed.

“Let’s get some sleep love,” he said, “We’re going to need it for the next couple weeks.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know you guys think!