Status: i'm having trouble writing this as of late, updates will be far and in between. sorry!

My Only One

Seven

A couple of weeks passed and I was busy with working at the daycare. Since Charlie started preschool and my mom's been basically spending all her time at the hospital—but who could blame her? My dad was dying. If I could be there 24/7, I would, but I can't—so to keep myself busy I've been picking up extra hours at the daycare and working on my days off. It was extra money, and who'd turn that down? 

But the past few days Charlie came down with a sinus infection. A stuffy nose, dry cough, tiredness and all around not feeling well were keeping her from sleeping, which in turn kept me from sleeping, so I kept her home from school. We couldn't go see my dad because of the risk of him catching her infection, so we mostly stayed at home and watched television. 

On Friday, I wanted to tear all my hair out. 

Charlie was at her sickest point and whining constantly. I tried putting her down to nap numerous times and after tucking her in and going downstairs, she'd let out a cry and I'd be right at her side. This process was repeated far too many times to count and I was growing frustrated. 

With one last attempt at having her nap failing miserably, I found some medicine downstairs in the kitchen and brought it up to her room. I sat down next to her on the bed and poured it into the small plastic cup that came with the bottle. 

"Can you take this for mommy?" I put the cup up to her lips and she pushed it away with her small hands, the medicine almost spilling from how hard she pushed it away. 

"No," she pouted. 

"Come on, Charlie. Please? It'll make you feel better." 

"No!" 

Placing the cup of medicine on her bedside table and let out a lengthy sigh. My daughter was just as stubborn as her father. And then an idea popped up in my head—Alex. And to my luck, he wasn't busy at all and would be over in a few minutes to help me with our daughter since she was being such a typical toddler when being sick. 

I ran down the stairs when I heard knocks on the door and opened it. I thanked him for coming over, and he said it was no problem. 

"My night would've consisted of a bottle of beer in my hands and a pizza box on the coffee table while I watched TV," he told me. "Anyway, I'd like to see my daughter. And you, of course." 

"Thanks for the love, Lex. Really feelin' it over here." 

"Oh you know my feelings towards you, Aria. Now come on," he held out his hand and I reluctantly took it. He instantly laced our fingers together and I felt that familiar feeling as soon as our skin touched. "Let's go see our sick baby girl." 

And just like I thought, Charlie took the medication when Alex gave it to her. Apparently she needed her stubborn father to convince her stubborn self to take it. And soon after, she was fast asleep; snoring and all. Alex and I stayed on her bed, lying on opposite sides of her. I slowly felt my eyes start to close after laying down for so long. 

"Aria?" Alex asked after a long while of silence. "Hey, Ar. Wake up." With a shake of my arm, I quickly woke up and looked at him with wide eyes. 

"Yeah?" 

"Do you think, I don't know, we could go back to how we were before Rachel told me she was pregnant?" 

"Alex," I sighed. "You know I'd love that. But I can't just fall back into a relationship with you right now, okay? I'm sorry." 

"No, you're right. It's too soon; I only just broke it off with Rachel. I shouldn't have asked." 

————

Alex stayed the night, he decided it was too late and he was too tired to drive back to his house. I was in my bed while he was asleep on the couch downstairs in the living room. As I thought about it, a big part of me wanted Alex to be lying down next to me, his arm wrapped around my waist and my body pressed against his as we slept. 

I wanted to be in a relationship with Alex again. Why would I not? There was no denying I was undoubtedly in love with the brown haired, brown eyed man that was sleeping on my couch. 

But there was this aching feeling inside of me, hinting that something bad was going to happen. And I took that as a sign for Alex and I—so as much as I don't want to, I have to stay away from any type of relationship with him. 

I changed into a pair of plaid pajama pants and an old navy t-shirt before shutting off the light in my room after checking on Charlie. She was still fast asleep and not whining anymore. I slipped into bed and covering myself with the comforter. 

As I was about to slip into dreamland, my phone began to ring. It was my mother's ringtone.

And that could only mean one thing at this hour. 

I was wrong about my feeling. 
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know. It's almost been a month since I last updated- I'm sorry! Major writers block for this story. And this is short. Sorry, guys ):

Anywho, I was a little disappointed with the feedback last chapter… was it not good enough? Is this story boring? Do y'all not like it anymore or what? Tell me in the comments or send me a message!