Status: Active

Salesta the Sorceress

Chapter 2

I opened my eyes and found myself laying down in a small, dark nook of a gigantic library. I looked around admiring the collection of books, huge like the library itself. There were books of all genres: all genres, all colours, all types, by all authors, both old and new, both thick and thin, in all languages, from all countries: the library had a number of manuscripts as well. In other words, you could find every version of every book ever written.

This was the place I would prefer over a luxurious palace with all facilities and comforts. This was the place I would spend every day and night I would live. This place was just awesome.

At this moment, I realized that my white top was all orange. It had all gone bloody. But whore blood could be orange? I shivered as the thought bought bad memories of the goblins.

Trying hard not to pay any attention to this at all, I thought about making a new start. I stood up and walked to the nearest bookshelf. A brown book fell down as I was rummaging through some of the Ancient Egyptian books. this was the only book with an English title in this portion of the ‘Ancient Egypt section.

All the pages of the old book were worn out and torn at the edges. It had a brown leather cover with golden steel borders and a plate that said ‘Witches’.

As soon as I picked it up, a thick layer of something invisible to my naked eyes surrounded me. It was forcing me to open it, forcing me to have a quick little peek inside it; there was some kind of a secret inside it. but the same charming layer also held me back. It warned me of a danger; as soon as I release the power enclosed in the book itself, the library would erupt like a freshly active volcano.

But the urge inside me to open it was growing stronger every second. I just couldn't resist at any rate. but a girl like me would have chosen the safer option. I threw it away and it banged into a nearby bookshelf.

The librarian came towards me wearing a white shirt and a knee length tight skirt black in colour. She did not utter a word but was stuck staring at me disgusted by my present state.

Then she walked away to clear the mess I had made. She picked up every single book, examined it closely and put it back in its original position. The last of all, she picked up the ‘Witches’ book and grinned slightly. She handed the book to me gingerly.

I shook my head and told her that I did not want it. The librarian spoke for the first time her voice sharp and young, “It is a pretty good book for a girl like you. I am sure you would like it.”

I did not need to be told twice. As the woman looked at me with her eyes glistening kindly, I stained the book open. Little streaks of light came out out of the 72nd page of the book. Soon those little streaks grew more wider and more forceful, I was able to make out the words, ‘I AM ALIVE’.

Then I looked at the young lady who changed her form completely with a ‘B-O-O-M!’ All that was left of her was an old woman very stiff backed but yet so active. She took off her spectacles and they turned into a long and slender stick, a new and glossy wand.

She was a witch!

The witch raised her hand and pointed her wand towards me. I quivered. I stood up. And I ran towards the exit. But, I was soon cornered. What was I to do now? I could not even run now for my dear life’s sake. What COULD I do now? I closed my eyes tight as she drew closer moving her colourless fingers as though she was a horror movie ghost tempting its prey before taking his life which is far worse than an outright kill.

Then, as quick as time passes, I found a little light in the darkness of my frightened heart. This lost light of hope was regained by a thoughtful idea- this stupid which appeared from this weird book. What if I close that book once again?

I ducked and rolled out of the cranny. Wow! That was quite easy! I just escaped the center of a spider’s web!

I picked up a heavy green book and threw it at the woman to slow her down. It hit her so hard on the head that in spite of being so strong, she yelled with sorrow, “Awe!”

But I had no sympathy for her. I crawled towards where I left the book. Nothing but a miniature sun could be seen. I picked it up and forced it close, ‘SHUT!’ Just this shut drained all the energy out of me and I fell down helpless.

The witch came in front of me and grinned, “Ha! That old trick wouldn’t work any more. You have woken me up. Now, if I go back to me librarian form, I will be on my own fee will.”

“You won’t die if I close this book?”

“Right.”

“Well’ then how would you die?”

“You ask how a human would die?”

I took an advantage of her suddenly being so friendly towards me. I opened her up even more. “I ask how a great powerful which like you would die.”

“Don’t be silly!”

“Why are you after me anyway?”

“Don’t you know? We want any Quigle sorceress.” the human- witch said.

“Sorry. I didn’t get you.” I was trying hard to be very polite to her as I got a slight guess of her losing her temper.

“Aren’t you a sorceress from Quigle?”

“I am no sorceress!”

“Well then, never mind. Do visit again!” the witch said and walked away returning to her librarian form.