Holding On To Forever

Adam

Adam

Falling
Spiraling out of control
Waiting for an end
To a new beginning
Promising lies
To the truth
Returning the past
To find your future
Holding back
Only to go further

I look at the start of the lyrics, wondering what to write next. My mind is blank.
“Dude, we need to have this song for our big gig tomorrow,” my friend Tyler says.

My band, Light in the Darkness, a local Christian band is scheduled to play at some huge restaurant for a big benefit dinner. I am the lead singer and lyricist. Tyler plays drums and does background vocal. My other friend Drake plays lead guitar and my older sister, Ally, is our female singer and our keyboardist. We aren’t some big shot band but I guess you can say we’re the best in the town of Greenburg, California.

“I know man, I’m just drawing a blank,” I replied.

I thought of all the things I could add to the song. Most of my songs are about my life and those in my band, but sometimes those get old. I wanted to write something new, something about the people who nobody takes the time to care about. The people who feel like they have no one to turn to when they’re sad and when they’re happy, have no one to laugh with.

“I’ll have something by after school tomorrow,” I promised.

“You better,” Drake warned.

The next morning I woke up and threw on a pair of jeans and a Casting Crowns T-Shirt. I ran down my stairs and grabbed a bowl of cereal, gulped it down, and headed out the door to school. Greenburg High is like your average school. You have all the same cliques and bullies roam every hallway. I walk into the door and I see a girl I don’t know getting her head slammed into a locker by some cheerleader. Wow, cheerleaders have an evil side. I wonder what the poor girl is feeling right now.