Status: Work In Progress

Don't Give Up on Us

Chapter 3

I took a bus to New York. There was no way I was going to try navigate that traffic. I sat on the bus and put in my earphones, listening to the a We Are The In Crowd album while absentmindedly wondering how Tay and the guys were doing. I hadn’t spoken to any of them in a while. Being honest, it felt like all my friendships were falling apart before me. I tried to concentrate on the beat but my thoughts kept going back to Max and how he never told me he was coming to the US. I didn’t know where they were going when they were here - LA, presumably. But I did know they weren’t touring here. I figured it was for the best and he’d tell me if it was my business he’d tell me, right?

After a horribly long time the bus pulled into a station in New York City. I was unbelievably excited to get away for a while and to see Alex. Just us. Sure, we lived in the same house but it never felt like that anymore. I’d been here all of once for an All Time Low show a couple of months back and I had no idea where I was going but Alex had given me strict directions. After struggling to read street signs and having to ask a couple of strangers (not all of them even spoke English so that was kind of difficult) I’d eventually managed to locate the Starbucks we were meeting at.

He wasn’t where he said he’d be when I walked in. I was having a nervous breakdown in my mind but I calmly walked to the barista and ordered. I picked up the two frappachinos and even left a tip before taking a seat in the area next to the window where Alex was supposed to be. I text him every five minutes for twenty minutes. I didn’t text him in a needy way, I text him in a ‘you dick, do not leave me stranded in New York City’ kind of way. After a while, he appeared. “You said two, Alex,” I sighed towards him.

“I’m so sorry Min,” he said as he took a seat. “I just got a little caught up with band stuff. Is this mine?” he gestured to his now cold coffee.

“No, it’s the freaking Queen’s,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“Don’t be mad. Please,” he reached across for my hand. “I really am sorry about being late.”

“I’m not mad…I just…” I rubbed my forehead. “I just really do feel like we’re not on the same wavelength with this anymore.”

“Hey,” he looked up at me with his adorable eyes. “We knew this wouldn’t be easy. But I love you and you love me. We’ll make it, okay?”

“Okay,” I agreed. I wasn’t so sure. I mean, I was sure. I just wasn’t…sure.

“Wanna go?” Alex asked me after a while of talking about nothing. “Hey, what do you call a guy covered in leaves?” he said to me as we got up. I shrugged my shoulders at him. “Russell,” he smiled. I turned around laughing at him and in doing so, I literally walked directly into someone who was coming in the door.

“I’m so s- Max? What the?” I stared up at my brother and didn’t quite know what to do next.

“Minnie? What are you doing here?” he quizzed.

“You can’t ask me that when I actually live in this country, you know.”

“We’re just taking a little holiday. Josh needed to -” he faltered. “A break was needed and an opportunity was there.”

“You didn’t think to tell me we’d be in the same country? Come on. That never happens anymore.” I pulled him into a hug. Regardless of his reasons, I hadn’t seen him in months and I missed him like hell. “What’re you doing in a coffee shop all by your lonesome then?” I asked him.

“Just waiting for someone.”

“I know the feeling,” I gazed over at Alex who was biting on one of his fingers and blankly staring into space. “I really should get back to that…”

“I understand. I need to order anyway. How long are you in New York for?”

“The next couple of days anyway. I take it you’re here for a while. I can get the guys and we should all go out sometime,” I smiled.

“Sure,” he returned my smile. “I’ll text you. See you later!”

I took Alex’s hand and we said our goodbyes to my brother. I walked out of the shop and wondered what I’d just done. Was there anyone else even here with them? I kicked myself for not asking. If it was just the two of them, going out might be a bit…well.

I led Alex into a side alley and stopped to kiss him. “This is different,” he broke our kiss and placed one hand on my cheek. “Are you feeling alright? Not that I’m complaining,” he smirked.

“I’m fine,” I whispered, putting my lips back to his.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm updating now because THE RECKLESS AND THE BRAVE WAS UPLOADED LITERALLY 10 MINUTES AGO AND I'M SITTING HERE CRYING BECAUSE OF HOW PERFECT IT IS. What do you guys think?!

I have nothing much to say about this chapter but thanks to aliceinwonderland, Bubuchacha and saveredheads for the comments! Keep at it, you fuel me!

x