Finding the Truth

Sorting

Anna stood nervously in the headmaster’s office, not completely sure how she ended up here in the first place. She had been on the platform waiting for Hermione and the others when she noticed that a huge man with black shaggy hair, but he had a kind face, his eyes shone like he was laughing on the inside, with a lantern was gathering up the first years at the end of the platform.

She approached him cautiously, “Hello.”

He turned to her; the flap of his giant coat knocked a small blond boy over, and said, “Hello. You better get a carriage before there aren’t any left.”

“Umm actually, this is my first year here so I was wondering if I should ride over with you or if I should take a carriage up.” She asked nervously.

“Well sure you can come over with us and we’ll get you squared away when we meet McGonagall on the other side.” He said; her brown hair blew gently in the breeze. “You can just leave your trunk by the train and someone will be down to get it.”

“Ok, Thank-you.” She turned and walked back to the train, leaving her trunk resting gently by the side of it.

Hermione jumped down from the train next to her and turned to smile, “I’m sorry, I should have told you, you didn’t need to bring your trunk down. They always haul them up while we’re at dinner.” She apologized.

“It’s alright, that guy over there helped me,” Anna pointed her thumb over her shoulder at the man corralling the little children together. “I think I’m going to ride over with them and I’ll join you at dinner.”

They moved over to the side as they were blocking traffic and the other students were starting to look angry. “I expect you’ll have to be sorted before dinner so that’ll make the most sense.”

Harry and Ron had shown up while they were talking. “Let’s hope you’re in Gryffindor with us.” Ron said, smiling at her. “Although, to me you seem more like a Ravenclaw.”

She was too confused to comment at this point and was only too glad when the man from before started waving her over. “It looks like I have to go but I’ll look for you at dinner.” She turned away quickly and was relieved to take refuge in the big man’s shadow.

“All right everyone this way!” He bellowed, leading them down to the pier where dozens of tiny boat were waiting for them. “All right everyone, three to a boat please.” She watched as the little ones battled each other for a boat.

She couldn’t understand there quarrelling, it wasn’t like there wasn’t enough boats; she watched as the big man climbed into a boat himself and waited patiently beside it. She saw him smile at her awkwardness and without another word climbed in.

“Thank-you, all these new people can be rather daunting.” She said, quietly. “I’m Anna, by the way.” She met his black eyes shyly.

“Rubeus Hagrid, I take care of the grounds and animals at Hogwarts.” He held his hand out and she shook it warmly.

When the last of the kids had entered the boats, they slowly pulled away from the docks and she asked, “What kind of animals do you keep at Hogwarts?”

He smiled at her and said, “Oh all kinds. We have unicorns, centaurs, nifflers; we have the largest herd of thestrals in Britain, trained by myself of course.” He said, proudly, Anna could tell by the way he talked that this was his true passion. “And plenty of other beasts in the dark forest.”

“What made you want to come to Hogwarts, Anna?” Hagrid asked, curiously.

“I went to Durmstrang for the first three years but I decided I needed to be closer to home this year. I kind of missed my family.” She explained, in part it wasn’t a total lie, in the time she was at Durmstrang she did miss her family. Anna wondered if she would ever get that feeling back again.

“Just kind of?” He asked quietly, like he was afraid he was stepping over a line and was afraid of the answer.

“It’s just my father and I so when I left for school I used to feel really bad for leaving because I knew he’d be lonely but,” Hagrid saw her face grow hard and her eyes met his with a cold anger, “I don’t feel that way anymore.”

“Excuse me for asking but why?” Hagrid looked at her with concern and she was touched by what she saw there.

She was saved from answering by the sound of their boat hitting the dock, in all the time they had been talking; they hadn’t noticed that they had arrived. She gave him an apologetic look as she climbed out of the boat onto the dock. She looked up at the castle for the first time and was blown away by how beautiful it was. The castle was huge at least 10 stories higher then Durmstrang and whereas Durmstrang was surrounded by mountains, Hogwarts was surrounded by a small forest and the most beautiful lake Anna had ever seen.

Anna snapped out of her daze to follow Hagrid up the steps towards the castle doors. Even as tall as Hagrid is, Anna wasn’t prepared for the massiveness of the front doors. “Hagrid, it’s about time. Everyone is waiting.” Anna turned to her left to see the most rigid woman she had ever seen, her black hair was pulled into a tight bun and though she was wearing a beautiful hat, Anna could see the streaks of grey throughout it. A pair of square rimmed glasses rested on her hooked nose.

Anna felt suddenly nervous, “Here they are, along with this young lady.” Hagrid turned to smile at her and gently pushed her in front of the other teacher’s gaze. “She just transferred
from Durmstrang.”

“I wasn’t aware we had any transfer students, do you have a letter?” Anna quickly took the letter from her pocket and handed it silently over to her. She was very aware of the smaller children staring at her as the other teacher read her letter. Her eyes travelled over Anna’s face like she was searching for something, her eyes finally rested above her head at Hagrid.

“Will you show this young lady to Dumbledore’s office?” Her eyes returned to Anna’s and continued, “After the sorting and announcements we’ll be up to get you sorted into your house.”

“Yes ma’am.” She said quickly as the woman walked away, with the 1st years.
She followed Hagrid down the corridor. “Are you nervous?” He asked, stealing a glance at her.

“I’m not sure what to be nervous about. I think my ignorance is becoming a real problem, I don’t know what houses are, I don’t know what sorting is, and with the look that woman gave me I’m not even sure I’m supposed to be here.” She felt infinitely better voicing her insecurities out loud.

“McGonagall will explain everything when she and Dumbledore get here.” They had stopped in front a giant statue of a gargoyle. “Acid pops.” Hagrid said simply. As Anna turned to look at him quizzically the statue moved away to reveal a moving staircase. “He really likes candy.” He smiled at the look of amazement on her face.

They hopped onto the staircase as it continued to move upward. “What’s Dumbledore like?” Anna asked as they finally reached the top and Hagrid opened the door to reveal the most beautiful office Anna had ever seen. There were dozens of pictures hanging along the top of the wall to her right. Seated below that was a red desk lined with pure gold, two small wooden chairs sat in front of the desk and Anna could see a high backed chair of black leather. The wall behind the desk was covered with shelves of some of the thickest books Anna had ever seen. Seated quietly beside the desk was a huge bird with red and gold plumage.

She rushed over to pet his beautiful feathers as Hagrid answered, “Albus Dumbledore is the most brilliant wizard this world has ever seen. He has been responsible for most of the wizarding laws, he’s compassionate and incredibly brilliant, and is a big supporter of muggle relations.” Hagrid said, proudly. Anna couldn’t miss the pride in Hagrid’s voice as he talked about the headmaster.

Even as Hagrid talked Anna’s father’s voice had been ringing in her ears and she couldn’t bring herself to believe it, “You must have a lot of respect for him.” She said, as she gently grazed her fingers through the bird’s soft feathers.

He smiled at her and said proudly, “He’s the only reason I’m standing here today.”

Anna opened her mouth to comment when she heard a voice by the door, “Thank-you for those kind words Hagrid.” She moved closer to the door to see a man with beautiful silver hair that reached down to his waist and a beard that was equally long. His lavender robes reached to the floor and were tied off at the waist with a thin gold rope. His very presence commanded respect and as he turned to look at her, even through his half-moon glasses, his blue eyes seemed to stare through hers to her very soul.

“I meant every word of them sir,” Hagrid bowed his head respectfully. Dumbledore had been staring at her the whole time.

With a gentle smile he said, “Well, Ms.Prewett, your presence is about 4 years over-do. He crossed over to his desk to take a seat in his chair. “Please have a seat.” He indicated one of the chairs in front of him. “Hagrid, Minerva stayed downstairs to supervise, you may join her or you can stay for Ms. Prewett’s sorting if you wish.”

“I would like to stay sir; I’m interested to see where she is put.” Hagrid said; his rough voice rang out behind her.

Dumbledore turned his gaze back to her. “As am I.”

“Sir, you said I’m four years too late.” She said quickly, trying to get some answers.

He leaned back and smiled at her, “We sent this letter to you four years ago when we assumed you would start your academic career.”

“Yes sir, I did. I was going to Durmstrang Institute for the last three years but my father felt that he would feel better knowing I was closer this year. So we agreed I would transfer here but he didn’t tell me that letter was so old. I’m close to the headmaster; I’m sure that if you can’t accommodate me here, he’d be glad to take me back.” She rambled, nervously.

“There will always be a place for students here, Ms. Prewett, as long as they wish for us to teach them. I was just curious as to why the change.” Dumbledore said.

Anna could feel the lie bubbling up in her throat and, for the first time, felt like swallowing I back down. She wasn’t sure what she should tell people of her home life, she knew now it wasn’t normal. She couldn’t offer people the story of how her parents died because she herself didn’t know and she was uncomfortable calling Rowle her father now. The longer she looked at him, and the comforting gaze of his stared right back, she knew she couldn’t lie so she opted to say nothing at all. “I don’t fully know sir.” Which was the absolute truth, Rowle was acting weird, this friend of his had him worried and if he was. Adrianna wondered if she should also be worried for him. “The man I’m living with he hasn’t been completely honest with me.”

“Well sometimes parents –“Dumbledore started.

Her eyes turned cold and she rudely interrupted, “I’m sorry sir but he’s not my father.”

“I see.” Dumbledore’s smile vanished from his face and he studied her with the same look McGonagall had. “I think it’s time we get you sorted.”

“What is that sir? Sorting?” She asked as he got up from his desk and plucked a dirty, patched hat from a shelf behind him.

“There are four houses in Hogwarts named after the four founders of the school, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin, each had their own views of what made up the perfect attributes in wizards. Hufflepuff desires loyalty, Ravenclaw takes the most intelligent, Gryffindor desired the bravest and Slytherin took the ones with the most cunning, ambitious nature. He also favoured pure-bloods above all else.” Albus stopped at he saw her roll her eyes. “While you’re here your house will be like your family, you’ll live together, win points together, and each also has a house Quidditch team.”

“Oh, that’s not for me.” He stopped to look at her and she explained, “I’m afraid of highest sir.”

“Any rule breaking will make you lose points, you’ll also eat together in the great hall and lastly you’ll have classes with all the house members in your year, we’ll get your classes set up after you’re sorted, all right?” She nodded quickly.

“And the hat decides?” She asked as he dropped it on her head. The hat settled around her ears, slightly covering her eyes.

“The hat decides.” He agreed, she could hear the smile in his voice.

Anna gasped as he heard a male voice inside her head. “Well, well, well, a Prewett, I haven’t seen one of you in a while. What’s your name, dear?”

“Adrianna but my friends call me Anna.” She answered out loud. She felt silly talking to nothing but I guess a talking hat isn’t the weirdest thing she had ever seen.

“Let’s just take a look and find out where you’re meant to be.”

“Take a look where?” She asked, turning her head to look around like the answer was written inside the stitching of the hat.

“In your head silly girl, all the answers you’re looking for can be found there.” The hat said in a condescending tone.

“How are you supposed to help me figure out where I’m supposed to be, when I don’t even know?” She asked, forgetting there were other people in the room.

“There are good people who will help you if you ask for it so why don’t you start there. I see you’re incredibly brave, unfailingly loyal and kind. I see an anger that could rule the world. You may not see it now but I think the next year of your life will bring out the Slytherin in you.” The hat spoke the last line out loud and she knew it was decided then.

She took off the hat to see the two men looking at her. “Slytherin. It chose Syltherin.” She said trying to diffuse the tension.

She placed the hat on the desk and watched as Dumbledore sat back down. “Well since everyone has a day off tomorrow. I suggest we work out your schedule then, you can come back at one tomorrow.” She nodded quickly.

Recognizing the dismissal she got up from her chair and crossed to the door. Opening the door, she heard Dumbledore’s voice behind her, “It’s never too late, Ms. Prewett.” She nodded and shut the door quietly.

Albus Dumbledore sat wearily in his chair and looked at his friend wearily, “You think it’s her, sir?” Hagrid asked, leaning against the chair she had been just sitting in.

“I think it’s a definite possibility and we should keep a close eye on her. Especially, since Karkaroff is going to be here this year. She’s hurt and confused, she doesn’t even know her own name, and it’ll be easy for him to sway her.” Dumbledore couldn’t contain the anger in his voice.

“What do you mean sir? If she was stolen by death eaters, the last thing she’ll want to be is around more.” Hagrid reasoned.

“She has no idea who she is; Karkaroff has been taking care of her for the last three years if she’s going to turn to anyone for comfort and answers it’s going to be him. If Voldemort really is coming back, Karkaroff may try to bring her over to his side as repentance.” Dumbledore explained.

“Do you think we should tell Lupin?” Hagrid asked, cautiously.

“Not yet, not till we know for sure. I expect it should be soon, if she truly is a Slytherin, she won’t stop till she finds the answer.” He said grimly.