Sequel: The Space Between
Status: Completed. :)

Never Alone

Chapter Nine.

John continued to sit at the bar and drank two beers before Kennedy walked over deciding the guy had time to settle down.

"Hey man, you ok?" He asked cautiously.

John nodded, "Yeah, I just, I don't know really. I just have a lot going on in my head right now."

"You know you can talk to us right?"

"Yeah, just nothing to say really." He grumbled as the bartender sat another beer in front of him.

"I think the problem is that you are trying to help Jenna get over Eric when really you aren't over him. Ok, that sounded really homo, but you know what I mean, dude."

John shrugged before taking a drink not wanting to admit that Kennedy was in fact right.

"Maybe. I'm just sick of all this depressed shit. When can we all get back to being normal? Not that I want to just pretend like Eric didn't exist, but I just want us to be whole again." John grumbled.

"I know, one day it will. Be patient."

"I mean, I don't have one my best friends anymore, I'm in love with a girl who's in love with my dead best friend and I'm miserable. I'm sick of being miserable. Good thing we start touring soon or I'd go insane. I need it. I haven't picked up a guitar in weeks. I just want to make music again." He said releasing all his thoughts in seconds. The only good thing that happened in these past 6 months was the fact that their new record was about to come out and that excited him. He was certain it was their best yet and Jenna played it constantly so he assumed it in fact was.

"Agreed." Kennedy responded with a nod.

"Yeah..." He responded having something now to look forward to excited him. Something he wanted to do beside spend time with Jenna that is.

Kennedy patted his shoulder, "Going to be good man. Just wait."

John nodded and finished off his beer now losing count of how many he had and feeling a bit good from it all.

"Well, that solves half your issues, now I can't help with the whole loving Jenna thing."

John rolled his eyes, "Yeah well, not surprising. I've tried to figure that out for years."

"You should tell Garrett."

"Ha! You're an idiot." John said stifling a laugh.

"Why not?"

Jon shook his head no and grabbed up his now full beer, "Several reasons." He responded before walking back over to the table sitting back beside Austin who didn't dare bring up what happened.

"So does this mean for once in our friendship I have the chance to bang your sister?!" Austin said to Garrett who stopped mid sentence to glare at the boy, "If you come near her I'll murder you."

John snickered as he placed his arms on the table. Well, at least he wouldn't have to...

"What?! She's hot. We're all thinking it! I mean, eventually she'll need another guy!" Austin said throwing his hands up. Clearly the alcohol was getting to him.

"No one is banging my sister. Got it?"

"Why not?"

"Because I said so!"

"What if she wanted to?" Austin asked with a raised eyebrow and Garrett rolled his eyes, "She wouldn't with you. She has standards."

John busted out laughing as Austin's jaw almost hit the table.

"What?! He sleeps with everyone! My sister is not going near him!"

"Agreed." Pat chimed in with a nod.

"I do not!"

"Do so!"

"Oh ok! And John's better?! No! And yet he spends more time with her than any of us!"

"It's different."

"How so?!"

"One, I haven't slept with anyone in months and two yes, I am better." John spoke up with a confident grin.

"Bullshit."

John shrugged and Garrett chuckled, "If Jenna went after anyone it would only be John." He said waving over the waitress for more drinks as John's eyes locked with Kennedy's who mouthed an 'I told you'.

"Well he is the closest thing to Eric she'll get." Jared stated and John rolled his eyes although he was probably right.

"So if she went after John you wouldn't care?!" Austin asked and Garrett looked back at the boy once his drink order was placed.

"No. Not really." He answered honestly. Of course he knew John's history with girl's, but the way he was with Jenna was different. He saw how he treated her and he knew that was one quality that he did in fact share with Eric. He treated her like she should be treated.

John forced himself to gulp down the liquid in his mouth and brought the bottle to the table again.

"Don't worry Austin, I don't think that's ever going to happen." John finally was able to say.

"Right." Garrett responded with an eyeroll.

"Like Austin said, she'll eventually like someone again. One day you know? And it'll be you." He added with confidence, "You both already act like you two are together anyways."

John felt his face flush despite the buzz from the alcohol he had consumed.

"I just, don't think so..."

"I do." Kennedy chimed in with a smirk causing John to roll his eyes.

"Nah."

"Are you saying my sister isn't worth liking?" Garrett asked with a raised eyebrow making John groan, "What? Of course not! She is perfect. I'm just saying it wouldn't happen because of who I am. She's, not right for me. Well, I'm not right for her is what I'm trying to say."

"Why not?"

John scoffed, "Where do I begin?"

John knew it was the truth. She was perfect. Beautiful, smart, funny, everything he loved. Everything he didn't deserve.

"You're an idiot." Garrett responded and he shrugged his eyes scanning the now crowded bar.

"Come on John. You're my main man. I can't pick up chicks without you!" Austin whined pointing to a blonde in a corner with her friends.

John chuckled, "Fine. I'll help." He responded downing his beer before picking up the full one Garrett had bought him.

"Yesss." Austin said flying up from his chair and John and him casually walked over to the three girls.

"Hi. My friend was drooling from across the room so I didn't see the harm in introducing him." John said and the girl laughed, "Oh. I'm Amy this is Kendall and Nicki."

"Hello ladies, I'm John this is Austin." He responded flashing his knee weakening smile.

"You should come sit with us." Austin said smoothly and the girls agreed causing John to laugh as he headed back to the table. Some times girls were to easy. Which he assumed was another reason he liked Jenna. She wasn't.

"Such a good friend." Kennedy chuckled sliding beside John so the girl's could have room.

John shrugged in response.

"Or was that for you?" He asked and John rolled his eyes, "Not interested."

"Not Jenna."

"Exactly." He mumbled looking at the bottle in his hand.

"Go home." Kennedy said and John's head shot up.

"Huh?"

"Go home. Go see Jenna. They are clearly now distracted. Go."

"I just..."

"Go." Kennedy said grabbing the boy's beer and he groaned, "Fine."

He wasn't going to object more than once that was for sure. He slid out of the bar without notice and smoked while he waited on the taxi Kennedy called for him. It wasn't long before it arrived and the drive to Jenna's house was short lived. He paid the driver and thanked him before walking quickly to the door. He missed her. He missed her and he didn't even know such thing was possible, to miss someone within hours. It just seemed absurd. He knocked softly before opening the door not wanting to scare her by barging in.

"Jenna?" He called out and she appeared in the living room within seconds. He shut the door his heart beating wildly at the sight of her. He didn't know if it would be inappropriate to just grab her up so he reframed.

"Why are you back so soon?" She questioned.

"Didn't feel like being out." He responded with a shrug, wanting to just skip the talking and touch her already.

"Oh." She said softly and he examined her quickly although the only light was from the mixture of the moon and the street light outside. Her hair was wavy and a bit all over the place and the t-shirt she had on was way too big for her and yet he found her profoundly adorable.

"Why are you still up?" He whispered daring to reach out and let his finger tips graze hers which hung by her side.

"Ah you know, I worry." She said with a grin.

"About what?"

"You all being out." She whispered and he stepped closer to her, drawing his fingers closed around hers.

"We're fine." He responded bringing his free hand to brush her hair from her face.

"I know, just scares me. I'll be fine once Garrett's home."

"He'll probably stay with Kennedy. Which don't worry, you know how responsible that dude is he'll text you."

A grin hit her lips, "I know, then I guess that means I'm worry free since you're here."

"Were you worried about me?" He asked softly. He was uncertain why the two of them were talking so quietly since no one was home but the intimacy of it all sent John into a raging fit of nerves and yet he couldn't get enough.

"I can't help it." She mumbled looking up into his eyes as butterflies filling her stomach which she didn't understand.

"I'll always come home to you, Jenna. You can count on that." He whispered his palm resting on her cheek. She managed to nod and he removed his hands from her.

"Let's go to sleep ladybug." He whispered, picking her up carefully and carrying her to her room. He laid her on the bed and began to kick off his shoes and pull off his clothes before sliding into bed beside her. He held up his arm so she could lay against him. This was what he wanted now. Not to be out drinking. No it had changed. All he wanted was to spend nights with Jenna in his arms. Maybe things were changing and he just didn't realize it.

"I should have stayed with you." He whispered pressing his lips onto her head.

"No. I was fine. Really."

"Still..." He added running his fingers over her back. Her breath hitting the crease of his neck causing shivers to run down his back from time to time.

"So how was it?" She asked and he chuckled, "Oh interesting. Austin tried to talk Garrett into letting him sleep with you, Garrett of course shot that idea down and then I helped Austin get a girl."

Jenna started laughing, "Wow..."

"Oh yeah. So keep an eye out for that kid." He responded with a grin.

"That's scary."

John laughed as she replaced her head back on his chest, "Don't worry. I won't even let him near you again."

"Good."

He chuckled and returned to tracing patterns down her back. His mind too busy to sleep unlike her.

"Sing to me?" She asked in typical fashion and he mumbled an 'ok' before singing a random song to her softly. He never got why she liked him singing to her, but he did it anyways. It didn't matter to him. He'd do anything for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awe. :3

Thanks to my four, loyal commenters;
Lovelyhope
Mutli Colored Rangers
Shootingmoons
Useyourtelescope
:)