Chasing Liberty

Earth's Mightiest Heroes

The ride into downtown by helicopter only took a little under an hour to complete. However, for Liberty, time seemed to fly by. She had never left X-Mansion before because there was no reason for her to do so, and so being out and about for the first time was breathtaking to her. The towering skyscrapers and the hustle and bustle of the city below left her speechless. As they grew closer to where they were headed, her palms began to become sweaty as she started to feel nervous.

What were the Avengers like? Liberty knew who the team was comprised of having watched bits and pieces of the Battle of Manhattan on news casts and such, but she didn’t know them personally. What were their personalities like? Would they ignore her, hate her, make her some kind of a lackey for being the newest member?

Liberty shook her head to try and get those thoughts away from her mind. Now she was just psyching herself out.

Natasha watched the young girl’s internal conflict with interest and slight amusement. Liberty, noticing this, thought that maybe she was entertained by it all. The redhead could tell by Liberty’s body language that she was nervous and she couldn’t help but feel a bit sorry for the girl. “Just breathe and you’ll be fine, Liberty.” She reassured.

Liberty looked at the redhead and nodded her head. “Right,” she sighed out. Just breathe, easy enough.

Finally they could see their destination in sight. It was a tower that stood out from all the rest. It was smooth, modern and extremely flashy, just like the name that resided upon the top in all capital letters — “STARK”. Liberty didn’t know much about the billionaire, only having seen some random newscasts whenever one of the few television sets were free – which was hardly ever, though she was looking forward to meeting the famous Iron Man. She wanted to see for herself if he really was a smartass that people in the media said he was.

The helicopter set down upon a landing upon on the side of the building, the whirring of the blades starting to slow down. Everyone disembarked, Fury leading the group and Liberty at the end, grabbing her duffle bag before they left the craft. Walking into the building, Fury reached an elevator and the doors slid open with ease, the group of four entering the spacious lift and riding to a new level after having pushing a button.

As the doors slid open once more, they were greeted by classic rock. The song “Shoot to Thrill” by AC/DC blared throughout the room, the floor slightly buzzing and vibrating from the bass of the speakers. As they took a few steps inside what appeared to be a living room and office space, the group went unnoticed.

At the opposite end of the room, a strawberry blonde sat before a desk looking engrossed in her work as she typed away on a laptop, her bangs slightly in the way of her focused blue eyes. The other two were men, one Liberty recognized as the billionaire, though the other she had no clue about. The pair of men worked and tinkered with holograms of what seemed to be complex machine parts and numerous diagrams.

Stark crumpled up his face and took hold of one of the holograms, crushing it into a small glowing orb and throwing it at what appeared to be a holographic recycling bin. It hit dead center and it began to flash, lighting up like a game at a carnival and the word “SCORE” appearing in all capitals.

“Stark!” Fury called out, causing the billionaire to finally take notice of the group.

“Oh, well, if it isn’t my favorite babysitter? Mute.” He greeted, then ordering the music in the background to cease. “What brings you to this humble tower of mine?”

“I’ve got a present for you.”

“For me? Oh, you shouldn’t have. I mean really, I could already have it.” Tony said, his dark brown eyes falling upon Liberty and a spark of curiosity igniting within them. “Who’s she?”

“Your present,”

“Are you sure that’s even legal?” Tony inquired, walking towards his bar and pouring a glass of Scotch, taking a few gulps of the whiskey before he returned to where he stood before.

“Where’s Rogers?” Fury asked, deciding to ignore Tony’s previous question.

“He’s not here yet, sir.” The other man replied, causing Liberty to take more interest in him. He had dark brown hair with some gray blended in, a pair of spectacles rested upon the bridge of his nose, making his brown eyes harder to see, and wore a dark purple button up with some beige slacks.

“Well, that I can clearly see, Banner.”

There was a soft ding and a man stepped out of the elevator as the doors opened wide. He looked rather serious with his slightly furrowed together brows and lips that were in a firm line. His eyes were a deep blue and his hair was a gorgeous blond that was neatly combed. His appearance was simple with only a dark brown leather jacket, plaid green shirt and some regular denim jeans.

“How good of you to join us, Steve.” Fury commented.

“Sorry, sir,” he apologized. “Traffic,”

“Yes, well, I have an announcement to make so listen up.”

Rogers walked past the group, giving Liberty a quick and curious second glance before taking a seat upon the couch. He was soon joined by Tony while Banner remained standing, leaning upon the bar for support. The strawberry blonde also looked interested by what Fury had to say as she stopped her typing and looked over curiously from where she sat.

“This,” Fury gestured to Liberty and looked at the group with a hard gaze, checking to see if they were all paying close attention. “Is Liberty, and she’s a mutant. You’re to all play nice with her seeing as she’s now a member of this team.”

Silence enveloped everyone until Rogers spoke up, voicing a question. “Mutant?—What… what’s that?”

“I always seem to forget that there are still things you haven’t been caught up on.” Fury sighed, turning to face Liberty. “Would you care to explain it to him?”

Liberty looked from Fury to Steve and gave him her undivided attention as she answered him. “Even though some people believe otherwise, mutants are the next stage of human evolution. If you want the textbook answer, a mutant is a human who possesses a genetic trait called an X-gene which allows the user to develop superhuman powers or abilities.”

“So what’re yours?” Tony was quick to question the newest member, swishing the partly melted ice cubes around in his now empty glass. “What’s your power?”

“I’m a telepath,”

“Oh!” Stark erupted with enthusiasm. “What am I thinking?”

“That you want another Scotch.” As Liberty read and spoke his thoughts aloud they changed in a second. And no, I won’t get you another one, nor will I ask Pepper.

Tony’s eyes widened and he shook his head almost as if to shake her out of it. “Wow. That definitely made me feel violated.”

“Is that all you can do?” Banner curiously asked, becoming incredibly intrigued by Liberty and her abilities.

“I can transfer pain from my body to anyone I want, I can change what people see in their minds. I have more, but I haven’t discovered them yet according to Professor X.”

“Interesting,” Banner mused quietly to himself, taking off his glasses and cupping his chin as he began to think about her and her mutation.

“So, where are you staying at?” Steve asked.

“I’m not sure myself,” Liberty muttered, turning to face Fury. “Where am I staying?”

“Well, we came to Stark Tower for a reason.” Clint answered for the Director.

“What?” Tony became interested in the conversation once he heard the name of his tower mentioned. “Are you trying to tell me that I’m the new babysitter?”

“I’m nineteen. I hardly need a babysitter.” Liberty pointed out.

“There’s your answer, Stark.” Fury replied. “She’s just staying with you. That’s all.” Fury walked towards the elevator and pressed the button. “Why don’t you show her to her room?”

“And just where are you going?” Tony asked.

“I’ve got something that needs taking care of,” Nick curtly answered. “Not that it concerns you.” The elevator doors slid open and he stepped inside, Natasha and Clint following his lead. “Remember to play nice.” Fury said, getting it in before the doors slid closed.

“Does he think that he’s cool for getting that in before the doors closed?” Liberty asked aloud.

“Probably,” Tony replied, walking towards his bar and pouring himself another helping of whiskey. “Pepper, would you mind showing…” His eyes went to Liberty as he had already forgotten her name.

“Liberty,” she reminded.

“Liberty to her room?” Tony finally finished.

“Nick told you to do it, Tony."

“I know, but when do I ever do what I’m told?” He retorted. “Besides, you haven’t gotten to know her yet. Maybe you guys can be… gal pals or girlfriends – whatever women call themselves these days.”

Pepper gave Tony a questionable look, though stood up from her chair. “Just this once, Tony. Consider yourself lucky that I’ve finished my work for now.” She said, pressing the elevator’s button after walking over.

“I love you.” Tony smirked into his glass.

Pepper smiled at his antics and turned towards Liberty. “Follow me,” she said.

After a short ride up a few floors, the women disembarked and Pepper led her down the hallway, passing numerous doors until stopping at one. “Here you are.” She smiled. “Please, excuse whatever Tony says or does… or thinks.” She added through a light chuckle. “Once you get to know him he’s… not quite as bad.”

“Thanks, and I’ll try not to take anything to heart.”

“If you need anything, just let J.A.R.V.I.S. know.”

“Jarvis?”

“J.A.R.V.I.S. is an A.I. and he runs the internal systems. Watch,” Pepper instructed. “J.A.R.V.I.S.?”

“Yes, Ms. Potts?” An automated voice inquired, causing Liberty to jump in slight surprise.

“Would you please introduce yourself to Liberty? She’ll be staying with us for some time.”

“Yes, Ms. Potts. I am J.A.R.V.I.S., the operating system wired throughout Mr. Stark’s tower and personal homes. It is a pleasure to meet you. May I inquire your surname?”

“He addresses people by their last names,” Pepper clarified with a slight chuckle.

“Please, just call me Liberty, J.A.R.V.I.S.”

“If you insist, Miss Liberty.”

“Why don’t you want to be called by your last name?” Pepper curiously inquired.

“There’s no last name to give. I know my mom’s last name, but I’m an orphan so it just doesn’t feel right.” Liberty shrugged.

“Oh, I’m sorry to have brought it up.” Pepper grimaced.

“It’s fine, you couldn’t have known.” Liberty smiled, reassuring Pepper that all was well.

Pepper smiled gratefully for the reassurance. “Well, if you need anything, just ask J.A.R.V.I.S., ‘kay? He’ll tell you just about anything you need to know and what level the living room is on.”

“Thanks, Pepper.”

“You’re welcome. We’re all having Chinese take-out tonight for the football game at around six. You’re welcome to join us. We’ll be in the same room as before.”

“Thanks for letting me know, I’ll drop in.”

Pepper nodded in acknowledgment. “Alright,” she chuckled. “I’ll make sure to order extra.”

The two said their goodbyes and Liberty entered the room she was given. The room was luxurious and modern, just like the image that Tony wanted to make for himself. The color scheme screamed Tony Stark as well, as it was gold and classic red.

Liberty placed her bag atop the bed and sat down beside it, looking around the room once more and falling back upon the lavish mattress and sheets. She’d get situated into her new bedroom shortly once her energy returned to her. She felt like she had been drained from the day’s events. After all, one hour she was inside of her Mutant Ethics class, the next she was leaving X-Mansion, the place she had called home for over a decade, and off to a brand new one.

Then there was also the fact that she had just met Earth’s mightiest heroes…

Liberty honestly couldn’t believe that so many life-changing events could occur in just one mere day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, recommend and subscribe!!