Four Weeks to Live

Stargazing

Our third day in the training center had gone by just as the other two had. Moss and I talked, laughed, and trained together. I knew I had to stop our friendship immediately, due to the fact that I had to kill him, but I didn’t want it to stop. I was finally happy. I sat on the roof of the building we were staying in, watching the stars alone. I couldn’t sleep, what with all of the pressure for me to do a good job in front of the Gamemakers. My mentor still hadn’t talked to Griffin or I. It was Lovage who had basically been mentoring us all this time.

“Need some company?” I heard a voice from behind me. It was Moss.

“I’d love some.” I said, letting him sit next to me. “You couldn’t sleep either?”

“Yeah. Haymitch was being a loud drunk again. What about you?” He asked.

“Pressure for tomorrow.” I sighed.

“You’ll do fine, I’m sure of it.” He said, patting my back. “Paint your arm to look like a tree or something. They’ll love it.”

“Yeah, you break the floor with a weapon of mass destruction, I’ll paint a pretty picture. We’ll see who gets a better score.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“It doesn’t matter anyway. Remember a few years ago, that girl who got a 2 won?”

“She only won because she could outrun everybody else. I’m not the best runner in the world.”

“So what? With your camo skills, no one will even be able to find you.” He said.

“Well... I guess I am pretty good with a brush...” I blushed.

“You’re amazing.” He said, ruffling my hair.

“You could probably split some people in half with your pick axe.”

“We should team up. We’d be unstoppable together. At least, until the careers find us. Maybe we could even make it to the top eight.” He said, smiling.

“Sure. Maybe we can make it past the one week mark.” I smiled back. We hugged and laid down on the roof, watching the stars once again. I was happy. I finally drifted off to sleep after what seemed like an eternity. When I woke up in the morning, Moss was still there too, sleeping. I woke him up and pointed to the sky. The position of the sun told us it was a little before 10:00, the time we had to be at the training center. We both rushed into the elevator and went to our respective floors. I had just enough time to get dressed and go to the training center. Moss was already there, looking a bit more disheveled than I was. We laughed at the sight of each other before my name was called.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are much appreciated.