Hero

Dinner Party

Image

Kenzie leaned up against the counter as she watched her mom work her way around the kitchen. The way she moved here and there knowing exactly where everything was when she needed it having it out and on the counter in mere seconds amazed her. That’s one thing she’s always admired about her. The woman that gave her life that took care of her for 18 years was an amazing cook. She could make everything from spaghetti to a mean linguini all from scratch. Then again I guess the same could be said for all Italian women.

Reaching for the glass of water she had set on the counter Kenzie took a sip as her mom took the roast out of the oven. The aroma of it filling the kitchen “mmmm mom that smells amazing I think you finally outdid yourself.” Shutting her eyes she took in every scent from the roast itself to the many spices and herbs.

“Of course it does. Have you ever known me to make something that didn’t smell delicious” her mother chuckled as she set the pan on the counter turning to pick up the baster.

“Good point” Kenzie said walking to the counter to watch her mom at work.

“You know what they say, the direct way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” her mom nodded as she began to bathe the roast in the juices from the pan.

“Amen to that” laughing Kenzie took another sip both women not noticing that Aaron had walked into the kitchen. Come up behind he wrapped his arms around his girl looking over her shoulders taking in the intoxicating smell of dinner.

“Dinner smells delicious Mrs. Jones”

“Now Aaron you know how I feel about you men in my kitchen while I cook” Tracy Jones cocked her eyebrow at her daughter’s boyfriend.
Letting go of Kenzie Deuce held his hands up in surrender “Mr. Jones wanted to me to come in here and let you know the rest of your guests have arrived”

“Good” Tracy smiled. “Dinner is almost done. Here,” picking up the stack of her best china she had set out on the counter she handed it to him. “You can help by setting the table. Is Brian out there?”

Aaron nodded taking the stack from her “Yes ma’am. Him and Michelle”

“When you go out send him in here to help” Mrs. Jones finished up putting the finishing touches on the roast. Again he nodded before walking out of the kitchen. Not a few minutes later Brian walked into the kitchen greeting first Tracy then Kenzie.

“Mmm Mrs. Jones that is a beautiful roast” his was theatrical as he licked his lips letting his tongue hang out like a dog drooling over a piece of meat.
She frowned playfully smacking his arm “Come on now. None of that go help Aaron set the table you know where the silverware is.

“Yes ma’am” he too had the outmost respect for his best friend’s mom. Especially since she practically raised him and was his second mom. Gathering the forks, spoons, and knives from the drawer he smiled at Kenzie who smiled back.

“Thanks for coming Brian” her smile was the same as it had been when they were growing up.
“I told you I would” winking he walked back out.
After the table was set and everyone was seated the roast was brought out and placed on the table in front of Kenzie’s father who sat at the head of the table, Mrs. Jones to his right, and Mackenzie to his left. To her right sat Aaron, then Brian, then Michelle etc. Before Tom could cut into the roast he smiled at his guests “Let us all bow our head in prayer” In unison every head in the room bowed and eyes shut hand folded together “Heavenly father thank you for this meal you have provided and for the hands that prepared them. Bless those who have arrived to join us in this bountiful feast and those that were unable to attend. May you guide everyone home safely and continue to watch over our friends and family. Amen”

“Amen” echoed in unison as eyes opened and heads lifted.
Rubbing his hands together he picked up the knife and fork “Alright who’s hungry” he asked hypothetically as he began to carve into the meat.
Dinner went off without a hitch. There was talk and laughter as everyone shared stories and future plans. That’s when Tracy and Tom dropped the bomb.

“We were thinking of going to Italy to visit your aunt and uncle and your cousins in a month or so. We’re planning on staying for a week or two haven’t exactly decided yet.”
Kenzie looked back and forth between her parents “Are you asking me if I want to tag along or are you telling me I have to?”

“Well, you’re an adult now and can make your own decisions so I guess we’re asking if you want to tag along” Tom smiled
Kenzie’s first reaction was to look at Aaron who smiled taking her hand “If you wanna go I say go for it. I hear Italy is good this time of year and with all that you have going on right now I think you need a vacation.”
She looked at her parents again who nodded knowing what she was going to ask without her even saying it. “Will you go with us?” she asked
Frowning he squeezed her hand “I wish I could Kenz but the new album is supposed to drop in a couple months I need to get in as much studio time as I can if I want to be done in time”
Sighing she nodded her eyes falling to the table. She didn’t notice Brian had mentally asked if he could tag along and he also got the ok.

“If you want Macky we’ll go” he looked at Michelle who frowned “As fun as Italy sounds babe that’s when I’m going with Val to New Orleans”

“That’s right” Brian frowned

“Don’t let me stop you though, by all means you need a vacation too” she smiled and he kissed her on the cheek “It’s settled then, Italy with the Jones’s”

Kenzie shrieked in happiness. After going on about travel arrangements etc, dessert was brought out. Mrs. Jones’s famous apple pie which was devoured within a matter of minutes. Full stomachs and sighs of content filled the room as everyone got up from the table. Kenzie helped her mom clear the table and do the dishes. After the kitchen was cleaned everyone said their goodbyes. Brian and Michelle were the first to leave, then Aaron and Kenzie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for me to update been kinda busy :( Anyway here is the second chapter thanks for being patient and waiting I'll try and update every week n_n