‹ Prequel: Her Eternal Soul
Sequel: Pandemonium

Beasts

Lie Buried with a Vengeance

-Ai-


“Stop, that tickles.” A man’s voice groans, making me leap from my spot. I can’t even open my mouth to scream before a hand clamps over my mouth.

“Sorry,” the voice whispers, “I just don’t want you waking the entire house. They’d kill you.” He chuckles. Good God, now I’m waking up with men I don’t know.

“Did you drug me?” I whisper once he removes his hand, glaring at him as best I could.

“Believe me, I don’t need to drug the ladies.” He explains with a smirk to his voice. I roll my eyes. I’ve obviously been ruphied. What party was I last at?

“Are you one of Kixx’s friends? I know she’s pissed at me. She’s crazy, but I didn’t think she was this kind of crazy…” I mutter to myself. Is this one of her pranks? Vengeance? I don’t rule out the latter; that’s the type of person she was. She would do whatever she could to get even with someone.

“No, I’m not friends with anyone you know. I’d just like to get to know you.” He smiles, his fingers travelling down my arm to my hip. I quickly push the man away before sinking back into the bed. Feathers poke into my skin, but I push that from my mind. I’m just tired.

“Where are my clothes?” I ask, recalling that the clothes I’m now wearing are in fact not mine. I was dressed in a very, very tiny dark grey halter dress that hit above mid thigh; I barely noticed the faint black undertones in the dress.

“They didn’t suit your figure. I put you in something more flattering.” His voice answers. I shake my head.

“Pervert.” I yawn and curl up in the covers. I realized then just how exhausted I really was.

“Go back to sleep Ai,” the stranger whispers, “There are still a few hours until sunrise.”

“I want to go home. I want to sleep in my own bed.” I pout, my voice fading as my eyes fight sleep.

“You have to stay here for a while.” The man responds. “That was the deal.” This peaked my interest, but only slightly.

“I didn’t make any deal with you.” I frown.

“No, you didn’t. But someone did.”

“Who?” I ask, but I fell asleep before I could hear the answer.

XOXOXOX


“Hey, wake up. You’re drooling all over my pillows. They weren’t cheap!” The stranger’s voice from last night complains. My eyes blink open, blinded by the bright morning light. “Well good morning sleeping beauty!” He exclaims sarcastically. I squeeze my eyes shut, my head still buzzing. This is not a good morning.

“Water! Advil! Just shoot me please!” I complain, squeezing my head. It feels like my brain is seeping out my ears.

“That’ll wear off once you eat something.” The man laughs, pulling the covers off my body. “God damn you’re smokin’!” He growls. I only roll my eyes, which are still closed. “Come on, let’s get some food in your belly. Then I’ll give you a tour.” He demands, warm arms encircling my waist and tugging me up from bed. He throws me over his shoulder, letting his hand linger on my ass.

“Watch it.” I growl, letting my eyes slowly open. He chuckles, shifting my weight to carry me bridal style. It’s only now that I get a good look at the man I’d spent the night with. He was surprisingly, hauntingly attractive. He had a strong jaw line and well built torso. His hair was a messy mop of black and red, and his dark eyes shown with brilliance. What stood out the most though was the pair of raven color wings sticking out from his back.

“W-what are you?” I mutter, my eyes widening slightly in confusion.

“Well that’s not very polite.” He frowns.

“I’m sorry!” I exclaim, quickly covering my mouth. He just smiles, his eyes lighting up.

“It’s fine. You can just consider me your…guardian angel.” He answers, looking into my eyes for the first time. I could feel my face grow hot with embarrassment. This man was no ordinary man. “I’m Die by the way. But like I said earlier, let’s get some food in your belly. I’ll take you on a tour of the place later.” Die informs me. I nod, still unsure about this entire situation.

“I’m Ai.”

“I know.” He informs me. I don’t recall giving him my name.

“I can walk you know.” I grumble as he chuckles.

“The kitchen is straight ahead. I need to go take care of something. I’ll be right back.” He says putting me down. I follow his instructions down a narrow hallway that opens up into a large kitchen. The moment I entered the room, a chill enveloped me, causing me to shudder. Two men sit at a table, alarmed to see me. One is short with jet black hair, and covered in tattoos. He jumps up and bolts out the nearest exit. The other stands facing me. He is taller and lankier with sunken eyes and scraggly hair.

“I’m sorry about Kyo. He’s a little…shy.” The man pauses. “I’m Shinya. It’s not often we get company.” He extends his hand toward me, which I hesitantly accept.

“Ai.” I reply. His pale, skeletal fingers were cold to the touch, making me shiver. He stared at me with his gray eyes. His entire body looked like a skeleton. I hear a shuffling behind me and turn to find Die.

“Good morning Shinya. I wasn’t expecting to see you up this early.” He greets, a wary tone to his voice.

“I could say the same to you.” He teases, his mouth twisting into a smirk. I was afraid his skin would crack. “Breakfast is in the oven keeping warm.” He nods, turning away. “It was a pleasure to meet you Ai. Have a nice stay.” And with that, he was gone. The chill in my body disappeared. Die made himself busy by the oven, the clattering of pots and pans filling the empty room. A plate full of steaming food was shoved in my face, Die on the other end.

“Eat up!” He grins. I eagerly took him up on the offer. “We’re going for a swim after this.” He informs me. I stare in disbelief.

“I can’t swim!” I protest, mouth full of food. He knew my name, so why wouldn’t he know I can’t swim? He must be a greenhorn among the guardian angels.

“I’ll teach you.” He beams. I only shake my head, concentration fully devoted to chewing. The man was insane, that much was obvious.

The next thing I knew, I was knee-deep in a pool of crystal clear water. I felt something nudge into my calf gently. I looked down to find a large coy fish swimming around my legs, causing the hair to rise on the back of my neck and heart rate to sky rocket. If there was one thing I hated, it was fish. How did I get myself into this mess? I glare at Die. The man has a way with words.

“You’re a pretty shitty guardian angel if you’re risking me drowning.” I grumble, refusing to tread any deeper. I hug my nearly bare body, watching ripples form around my legs. He laughs, floating on his back farther out into in the pond. Dark feathers pool around him, resting on top of the water.

I take the chance to study my surroundings. We’re surrounded by solid walls of rock, colors flowing throughout giving the walls dimension. A fissure in the ceiling was large enough to allow spindles of sunlight to pour in. The sunlight reflected off the water to dance along the walls. It was just enough light to bring everything in the cavern to life. Cherry trees surrounding the pond were in full bloom. The blossoms, a brilliant blood red color, littered the water’s edge. I’d never seen a color like theirs. A thick layer of grass covers the ground. It’s filled with tiny yellow flowers. Die’s home is set into the cavern’s walls, and a large round tower sets it apart. According to him, it was once a lighthouse but has now been converted into the bedroom I’ll be keeping.

“It’s pretty down here, isn’t it?” His husky voice asks directly beside my ear. I jump, bumping into his warm, bare torso. Die wraps his arms around me, making me blush a thousand shades of red. “You’re much prettier.” He whispers turning me around to face him.

I take in his features while I scan him up and down. His hair was damp, locks of red and black clinging to his face. He had a strong jaw line and high cheek bones. He had eyes that were a brown so dark they were nearly black, yet they were strangely mesmerizing. A thick set of lashes surrounded his strange eyes, making them masculine although it should have looked feminine. His dark wings are outstretched, water beading upon the raven colored wings; droplets rolling down the feathers.

It’s now I notice his face inching closer to mine, his dark eyes staring into me, so hypnotizing. His strong arms pull me closer as he moves in to kiss me. I quickly push him away, jumping backwards a good twenty feet. I may be a captive but I was a lady first.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” I squawk, covering my mouth and glaring at the man. He stares wide eyed and speechless.

“I was just…I thought you women liked these sorts of things!” He retorts, flapping his wings angrily.

“I just met you! Not to mention, you kidnapped me!” I remind him. He exhales sharply, eyes gleaming with malice and face red with embarrassment. I’m assuming this is the first time he’s been turned down. I hear a chuckle behind me and turn to discover it is the short, tattooed man from this morning. With a flap of his wings, Die quickly vanishes into the ceiling’s crevice.

“Well that’s a first.” Kyo laughs. I still stand fuming and frowning.

XOXOXOX


Kyo and I sit on a nearby bridge, our bare feet dangling into the water as we watch the coy fish swim in circles. A heavy blanket lies draped about my shoulders, covering my bikini clad body; Kyo brought it for me.

“I can’t swim either.” He mutters, breaking the silence. I smile to myself, resting my chin in my palms.

“I’m glad I’m not the only one.” So far, he was quite a gentleman; and handsome…very handsome. Although, I would keep that thought to myself.

“Sorry for earlier.” He mumbles after some time. I glance sideways at him, not entirely sure what he’s talking about. His crimson speckled eyes meet mine. “I ran away this morning.” He answers, as if reading my mind. I only smile.

“I can’t say I blame you, I’m pretty scary.” I tease. The hint of a grin crosses his features momentarily.

“You could say that.” He shrugs. “I wasn’t prepared to meet you just yet. I wasn’t sure what I would do to you.” He answers lowly, his focus returned to the fish. “Be careful here Ai, we’re dangerous creatures.” I stare at him in disbelief. I could have sworn I saw the faces in his dark tattoos twist in agony, for just a moment.

Image