‹ Prequel: Her Eternal Soul
Sequel: Pandemonium

Beasts

Clever Sleazoid

-Ai-


My guardian angel has a death wish for me...

“By out, I figured you meant a movie or something!” I yell, unable to hear myself as wind whips by me. My dress quickly flips inside out, blinding me with sheer white cloth. I desperately try to hold down the material, but give up after some time, pink staining my cheeks. He laughs above me, holding his belly as I flail in the cold blue sky, my stomach flipping and churning.

Somehow, this man decided a fun first date would be parachuting, without parachutes. Of course he’s got wings, but I’m just plummeting toward ground! He flaps above me, a grin on his face. He could easily be mistaken for a giant turkey vulture dropping its prey.

I spin around, noticing just how well I can make out the ever nearing highways, cars, and farmland. I spot a cow with three large black markings staring at me, her mouth full of grass. Well now I know I’m too close to ground. Die swoops below me in mere seconds, cradling my body to his chest and tosses me above him like a rag doll. The cow returns to her grazing, losing interest.

“Isn’t this more exciting than seeing a movie that’s already been done?!” He beams, sunlight making his dark feathers glisten wildly. His dark hair bounces around his face in the wind, falling out of place. He carries us higher again; high enough that my body chills and I find it a struggle to breathe. I cling for dear life, refusing to let go.

“I’m going to throw up.” I gag, covering my mouth. He only laughs, flapping his wings higher into the air, touching the soft clouds. The sun feels so warm this close. I almost don’t mind the fact that I cannot breath. I close my eyes, enjoying the sensation of cool mist and warm light on my skin. I can’t keep the smile off my face, that is, until he drops me again. “When I get my hands on you…You’re dead!!” I screech, screams ripping from my lungs.

“I can’t die!” He laughs taking my hands, falling alongside me. I continue to glare at the man before he scoops me up and flies us to land. I instantly collapse in the field full of amber grains. Die joins me, his callused fingers still entwined with mine. He has a million watt smile plastered on to his face as he rolls to look at me. His brown eyes shine, making me blush. Why does he have to be so good looking?

“So?”

“So? So what?” I huff.

“Was this the best date or what?!” He teases, nudging my side.

“It was…different.” I settle with, narrowing my eyes at the man.

“I’ll take that.” He grins, leaning close to peck me on the cheek. I roll my eyes, desperate to hide the growing shades of red in my face.

“Want to know a secret Ai?” He questions.

“What is it?”

“You have to tell me one before I tell mine.” He barters.

“You were the one who offered!” I roll my eyes.

“Awe, come on! Just play along!” He pouts, rolling closer to me, his wings engulfing us both.

“I don’t have any secrets worth sharing.” I reply smugly. He stares with a look of disbelief, his lips turning into a smirk.

“I’ll tickle you.” He threatens.

“I’m scared of fish!” I quickly blurt out, his fingers ready at my sides.

“W-what? That’s a lame secret Ai!” He complains, “I want to know something juicy!!” He begs, attempting to use his puppy dog eyes on me.

“No way! I told you mine, now tell me yours already!” I demand, sticking my tongue out at the man.

“Fine. I’m scared of Kyo.” He shrugs, rolling back onto his back. I sit up, staring at the man.

“What? Why?” I question. He looks at me with his deep eyes.

“He’s scary Ai.” He whispers, the wind blowing past us softly. The grains move along with it, tickling my legs. “That isn’t my secret though.” He smiles, resting his arms behind his head. I squat on my knees, tucking my dress below my thighs.

“What then?” I frown, blonde hair falling in my eyes. Die quickly sits up, taking the chance to tuck the locks behind my ears, his fingers lingering on my face. He stares into my eyes, his quivering slightly.

“I love you Ai.” Die whispers. I stare in disbelief.

“You hardly know me.” I frown.

“I don’t need to know you. I just know how I feel.” He smiles, squeezing my cheeks slightly, forcing a smile on my face. I shimmy free of his grasp, shaking my head at the man.

“I’m sorry Die, but I don’t have those same feelings for you.” I pause, my heart aching seeing the frown on his usual chipper face, “I see you as a friend though.” I smile, “Even though you did technically kidnap me.” I tease. The hint of a grin crosses his features. I know he can’t go very long without smiling.

“What can I do to change your mind?” He questions, “I can get you more clothes or better food. I can get you your own room!” He quickly blurts. I only shake my head.

“Die, friendship and love aren’t things you can buy. They’re earned.” I look at him. Has no one taught him these things? Isn’t this kind of thing what guardian angels are all about? I feel as though I’m more of a guardian to him.

“How can I earn them?”

“Just be yourself, like you were today Die.” I beam, “I saw how happy you were flying in those clouds. Keep doing those things. Show me the real Die.” I answer, holding his hand gently. “We might have something, but I won’t know until I know you.” He nods in understanding. “Right now, I think we have a great friendship blossoming.” I smile, “And sometimes that can turn into love.” He smiles at this, standing up and pulling me with him.

“Then let’s fly all day so you can fall in love with me.” He grins, making me groan in response as he launches off with me in arm again. Maybe he didn’t understand me after all.

XOXOXOX


-Kixx-


I lie in bed, my head swimming with empty thoughts. Toshiya is beside me, licking the crimson from his lips. He propped himself up on one shoulder so he could look into my face and down my body.

“You don’t feel sick do you?” He questions, concern in his voice. I merely shake my head, lips twisting into a smile; in fact, I’ve never felt so good in my life. “Good. Stay lying down and I’ll bring you something to eat.” He mutters sitting up, kicking his feet off the side of the bed.

“What was that?” I whisper to his back, butterflies swimming in my stomach. Whatever it was, I knew I wanted it again.

“A bite.” He shrugs, turning to look at me.

“Why didn’t you tell me? What you are I mean.” All the pieces finally clicked into place. How did I not realize it sooner? How could I have been so blind?

“…I was afraid to lose you.” He admits, “Most people are terrified of what I am. I blame Dracula.” He pouts. I only smirk. Granted, he had a point. But I’m not most people.

“Believe me; I have no problem with it. My ex and I were completely obsessed with the paranormal. I don’t think either of us would be frightened by it.” I giggle, looking at him while saying this. I could see the tension leave his body. A grin tugs at the corner of his lips, his dark eyes shining with wonder.

“Where have you been all my life?” He chuckles, turning to take me into his arms.

“Probably centuries from being conceived.” I tease, hugging him back tightly. Suddenly, an idea popped into my mind and, oh, was it a great idea. “You know, we could literally be together forever.” I whisper, nuzzling closer to him, kissing his cold chest. The thought lingered in my mind, spreading like wildfire. If I could stay with him for eternity.

“Absolutely not.” He growls, “I would never do that to you.” I frown at his response. How could he say no? I mean, I love him and he loves me. We could be great. I’ve never felt more powerful, strong, or sexy than when I was in his arms. I couldn’t help but wonder if it was because he was a vampire. Would I feel like this all the time if I became one too? I suddenly had a new objective, and I would stop at nothing to have it.

“Why not?” I sat up, glaring down at him. How dare he refuse me; and so adamantly! “I can deal with the thirst. It’s worth it as long as I can be with you. I can deal with the lack of sun; I mean, I’m practically albino as it is! Give me a damn good reason you won’t turn me!” I nearly growled at him as I sat on my knees. He was off the bed and pacing the floor before I could blink.

“You don’t understand!” He hissed.

“Then make me understand. Tell me why, Toshiya.”

“All you see is the eternal youth, the superhuman strength, speed, only the appealing things. You don’t realize that you’d be a slave to the thirst. No matter what it’s never enough. As if that isn’t a pain in the ass, you have to kill your prey. Otherwise, you risk the chance of being exposed and hunted down. Would you be able to kill an innocent soul every time you’re hungry? This, mind you, is all the time until you’re able to control the thirst.” He snapped. I hid any fear I had of his anger brewing below the surface.

“Yes, if it meant I could be with you…”

“I won’t even cross your mind once you’re thirsty.” He interrupts. I stare angrily, breathing hotly from my nose.

“That’s not true. Plus I’d have you to help me. We could be together forever. Don’t you want me, Toshi?” I questioned, making sure he saw my pained face if he said no. He looked me in the eye and I knew I probably shouldn’t have asked.

“I’m not going to hurt you like that.” He growled, storming out of the room. I clenched my fists in anger, my knuckles turning white. I didn’t care what he thought. If I wanted something, I will stop at nothing to get it. And I wanted this.

XOXOXOX


-Ai-


After our long day, I’m more than happy to fall asleep in Die’s bed. It’s at least attached to the ground. By the time my head hits the pillows, I’m out. Sweet visions of food and drink fill my head, making me realize I’m parched. Groaning, I roll out of my slumber to find myself alone for once.

“Die?” I whisper, looking around the room for the tell tale mound of feathers and snoring. But there is none to be found. I know I’m not supposed to leave the room at night…but it’s not that late. The sun only just went down. I’ll be quick; I just need to grab a glass of water from the kitchen.

Carefully tip toeing; I make it to the familiar room. I quickly gather a glass, filling it with cold tap water.

“Who do we have here?” A smooth voice slurs behind me. My body goes rigid, glass nearly slipping out of my hand.

Image