Status: This story is complete. Thank you for reading as always. You are free to comment. c:

This Elevator Only Goes Up to Ten

1

"What do you mean, you can't sleep with me?" my girlfriend August shouted.

"I just...can't," I said.

"Oh, wow Gerard. Am I not good enough for you? Because you seemed to like me a month ago. Now you suddenly don't?"

"I guess so. It's not you, it's-"

"Me. Wow. Great way to pick a cheesy break up line."

"August, let me explain. I'm breaking up with you because I think I might be gay." I hated admitting it, but there wasn't really a way out of not saying it.

August was shell-shocked. "What?" she whispered. "You might be gay. And you found this out while you were dating me." She paused. "You fucking fag."

"August, believe me when I say it was hard for me to tell you."

"Oh, I believe you." She reached out and hit me in the face. It didn't hurt, really, it was just the impact that stunned me. "Get out of my house. No wonder you live alone, you damn fag."

I left. When she slammed the door and my face I walked home. I lived in a small apartment complex. I walked through the front door. I checked my mail, but as usual I didn't have any. I started walking up the stairs but changed my mind. I lived on the tenth floor, yet I always walked. Maybe I needed a change of pace. I hit the elevator button and it opened right away. As I stepped in, about to push the button that went to my floor, I heard someone yell, "Hold the elevator!"

I did. In walked this interesting looking guy. He looked a little younger than me. I was twenty-two. And he was kind of cute. I made the thought go away. I ran my hand through my black hair.

"Thanks," he said. He had a guitar with him. "I'm going to ten."

I blinked. "So am I," I said. "Are you going to live in room 20b?"

"Yeah." He smiled. "Cool, I get to meet my neighbor right away. You look pretty cool. I'm Frank."

"I'm Gerard." I liked the touch of his hand on my skin. It was soft and-, no I had to stop thinking about that. "Sorry if I'm not really talkitive. I guess you could say I just got dumped." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Awwe I'm sorry man. It happens to the best of us." The elevator door closed. "Can I ask what happened?"

"You can." I smirked.

Silence.

"May I ask what happened?" he said

"You may."

"Oh, I just got it! What happened?"

"Well she wanted to have sex with me, and I told her no and she asked why. I said I might be gay and then she called me a fag and kicked me out." For a second, I wished Frank would be gay like I might be. I probably was, if I kept thinking about him when we met five minutes ago.

Five minutes?

"Shit, that sucks," Frank said. "Why the hell is this elevator so slow? Is it always like this?"

"I don't know. I always use the stairs."

"Wake me up when the door opens," Frank said as he sat on the floor. He fell asleep. And I watched him the whole time. And it didn't seem weird to me.