A Step to Love

Speechless

“...and there was this really good looking guy—and we kept bumping into each other every day; it was amazing.” Benny kept me occupied for the next half an hour about literally everything he did/saw/heard/said.

It was boring; fashion is not really my thing. But I wasn’t going to tell him. Talking about it made him happy, so I was going to suck it.

Benny finally took a breath. “Anyhow, tell me about Alinski.”

“What about ‘Alinski’?”

“Don’t be silly,” he laughed. “It’s kind of obvious you are into him.”

I scoffed. “How come?”

“See, at least it sounds like it's true. What you have to admit now is that it’s obvious.” Benny touched his chin and sighed dreamingly. I grabbed a pillow that was on the couch and threw it at him with all of my force. It would’ve looked really cool if my bone hadn’t clicked.

“Little bit touchy, aren’t we?” Benny started laughing hard when I threw another pillow and stormed out of the room and into the crowd.

I was too oblivious of the things going around me when I bumped into someone or something on the way.

“Yo, retard! Can you watch where you are going?” A tall and dark frame stretched itself; the blue diamonds showed coldness. “Oh, it’s you.”

I rolled my eyes at him. He began to get lost in the teens, but something caught his hand to stop him. Unfortunately, my hand was the one trapped in his. “Alex, wait.” He turned to me, but didn’t show any positive emotion. His face was full of hatred, but it wasn’t with me, right? I hadn’t done anything. “I thought you and Jenny broke up.”

He looked around then took my arm, pulling me brusquely behind a column. “We did. But I had promised her along time ago that I was taking her to the next party that came.” He smiled sarcastically. “And here we are.”

“'Kay." I paused. "I have to go.”

I didn’t see how quickly he took my wrist and spun me around. I only felt my back hit the column and my breasts being pressed against his chest. He managed to put one of his hands on my waist and the other held one of my arms. His nose was pressed against mine while the chills fought with me once he breathed, “Why do you ask?”

I blinked in response. “This is considered harassment, you know?”

“So?”

“You better let go of me before I scream.”

His fingers started to trace my curves up and down continuously. And the strangest feeling took over my stomach. Something I had never felt before.

The weirdest thing: my hands weren’t fighting against him.

“No one is stopping you,” Alex whispered in my ear.

I raised one black eyebrow at him. “Let go of me; I can throw a punch.”

And of course he would laugh. “So can I and besides, I’m not doing anything completely wrong.”

“But you wouldn’t hit a girl.”

“You’re not exactly one.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. Did I have to show him that I was one? That little...

“Bastard.” I was going to add more insults, but my eyes spotted Brody in the crowd. He looked like he was searching for something and that something could be me. I threw weak slaps at his chest and eventually, he let go. Brody caught my eye and smiled, then looked at Alex and glared. Thankfully, he was at a safe distance.

“Lilly, are you coming?” Brody approached us with a smile. “You and I still have to dance.”

“Sure, I’ll be with you in a second.”

Brody nodded and then retreated slowly—hesitating. I stared right after his lean back.

I heard Alex chuckle and I would’ve heard what he said, if it weren’t for the music that became obnoxiously loud. It was Disco by Metro Station and it had a contagious rhythm.

“What?” I yelled to Alex.

“I said: ‘At least he thinks I’m up to something with you!’”

“Why?! How do you know?!”

He wrinkled his nose. “What?!”

Franksicles. “I said—!”

Sasha touched my arm and mouthed something to Alex, then mouthed something to me.

“What?!”

She rolled her eyes, but didn’t respond. She took my hand and took me outside where it was pretty and quiet. The stars were like the sky’s diamonds; sparkling all pretty.

“You know, this is pretty nice,” Sasha said. “The warm breeze, the night...” She sighed.

“Did you want to talk to me about something?”

She pursed her lips and shook her head. “No, but I was getting kind of alone since everyone has a date.”

“I thought you did, too,” I said, remembering the buff and dark hottie that strolled with her on the dance floor minutes ago.

“He already left.”

The guy seemed to get tired easily. “What time is it?”

Sasha searched for her cell phone in her mini bag that matched her gorgeous purple dress and made her dark skin shiny. “Its 8:33pm.”

“Thanks.”

Then comfortable silence washed over us as we stared and admired the beauty that surrounded us. But I wanted to ask Sasha something and my heart was pounding really hard.

“Sasha...”

“Hm?”

A knot in my throat instantly formed. “I want to tell you something.” I gulped. “I want your opinion and I want you to promise me that you won’t tell anyone. Not even Brit—especially not Brit.”

“Why not Brit?” Sasha asked.

“Because...” I sighed. “It has to do with her brother and I don’t know how she’ll take it.”

She nodded.

“I think...” Breathe in. Breathe out. “I think I like Alex.”

One of the many things Sas and Brit had in common: they gasp exaggeratedly.

“I knew it!”

I glared at her. “No, you didn’t. But that’s not all I have to tell you.”

“Or is it?” She raised an eyebrow. “Tan. Tan. Tan!”

“Funny,” I said serious and then took another breath. “I like Brody, too.” She looked like she couldn’t believe it. “Yeah,” I assured her. “I mean, Alex tries to seduce me and then goes back to being a jerk and Brody”—I sighed—“I don’t know. I just get lost in the brownness of his eyes.” I put my hands on my face to cover it. “What should I do?”

“Oh, honey.”

~*~*~*~*~

I went inside a little bit later, and as I stepped in, the song switched from a techno to something soft.

Feels like I have always known you,

And I swear I dreamt about you,

All those endless nights I was alone.


Brody was the first guy I spotted. He curved his small and cute lips and came to me. He took my hand and we went to a semi-dark corner (he knew I hated being the center of attention).

It's like I've spent forever searching,

Now I know that it was worth it,

With you it feels like I am finally home.


I felt eyes burying into my back as I wrapped my arms around this neck and he locked his at my waist. We stared into each others eyes while the pink started to paint my face.

At this moment, I started to see Brody in a different way. I didn’t know him that much and I wanted to get to know him. I wanted to be his friend—more than his friend, actually.

Gosh, I was so complicated. Yet we stayed swaying our hips to the rhythm.

I didn't see you coming,

You took me by surprise and,

You stole my heart before I could say no.

Falling head over heels,

Thought I knew how it feels,

But with you it's like the first day of my life.

You leave me speechless,

(the way you smile, the way you touch my face)

You leave me breathless,

(it's something that you do I can't explain)

I'd run a million miles just to hear you say my name,

Baby.


Brody kept staring at me and I tried to avoid his plea to lean closer. I just felt it.

I looked around and found everyone into their own business. Some were hugging; others were having quiet conversations, etc.

I turned to him and thought really carefully what I wanted.

Sasha had said that it was my decision and she couldn’t do anything about it; I just had to decide which one I liked the most. The truth was I liked them both equally, because even though both of them were jerks, there was something sweet about them that drove every girl wild. And I didn’t want to admit it, but, it drove me insane also.

You leave me speechless;

You leave me breathless,

The way you look at me.


He had managed to keep me imprisoned in his arms and lost in his face. Then, he leaned closer.

At first, I felt his nose rub mine gently and then our lips met. They weren’t as soft as Alex’s, but they were still somehow fluffy.

He moved them against mine in a way I had never experienced before and I started to freak out. What was I suppose to do? I had no idea what I was doing.

You manage to disarm me,

My soul is shining through,

I can't help but surrender,

My everything to you
.

I cleared my throat as the music ended. I guess it was called Speechless. I knew I was speechless after what I had just done.

A new music started. Sadly, Me Against the Music by Britney Spears & Madonna. I was getting sick of it thanks to Brittany. She just kept playing that song over and over again in her room.

“Are you okay?” Brody asked me.

I shook my head. “I’m sorry, but I can’t kiss.” I laughed awkwardly as he raised his eyebrows.

He chuckled. “It’s okay, I can teach you.” Then, he bit his lip in a sexy way.

I giggled at the thought, and then covered my mouth. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing.” He hugged me and kissed my forehead. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

I looked up and sealed that answer with a kiss.