'Til Death Do Us Part

Max

“Trust me, you’ll be thanking me once it’s all over Max!” my friend James shouted to me as I was getting dressed across the yard in the room on the second floor. I sighed contently as I put on my shirt. I never thought he’d talk me into going to a place called “After Life”, let alone my fiancé going with us anywhere. “Be right there!” I said not realizing he had already come up stairs. Amber sat there with a shy smile looking at her phone. “What are you doing Hun?” I said playfully trying to hide my worried voice. “Oh nothing babe, I just saw a funny picture is all” She said while locking her phone I paid for. Amber would get into some strange mess everyday before we started going out. After her phone privileges and car service were taken away from her, my friend Zach would take her anywhere she wanted to go. Once she and I started dating however, I was the one that was taking care of things for her. “You know, we don’t have to go if you don’t want to babe” She said as she wrapped her arms around my neck. “We can stay here all day if you’d like.” She grabbed a hold of my belt. “You know, my parents will be in Europe for another two days.” Her fingers walked around my pants line. “We could do anything we want.” I merely glanced at her phone sitting on the desk behind her and worked up some courage to ask “Are you and Zach h-” “We’re wasting gas you fuckers!” James said barging into the room. “Zach is waiting to be picked up, are you two love birds going to this thing or not?!” Gently pushing Amber aside I let myself out and walked downstairs towards the van. James ran past me, “Race you, fat ass!” He said flailing his arms around. I sprinted to the van and quickly caught up to him. Cutting him off I said “Alright, what did you want to talk about?” “Whatever do you mean, Maxwell?” He said smirking trying to hide his labored breaths. “You know I’m faster than you and even with that ten-second head start I figured you just wanted to get away from Amber for a sec, now what did you need to tell me?” I asked looking behind him across the garden leading up to the house. I watched carefully for Amber who would be coming out any minute. Laughing a bit James said “Well, well Maxwell, I’m flattered you know me so well!” In a more serious tone, nearly whispering he met my shoulder and quietly warned me, “If I were you I wouldn’t try digging anymore. The fact remains, that girl loves you. I don’t want to see you hurt again, so I’d recommend not being Mr. Detective about this Zach thing.” He playfully punched my chest, “Besides, she’s pretty damn hot! Not to mention rich too!” Making our way to the van Amber caught up to us. “So what were you boys talking about while I was gone?” she said half jokingly. James and I took one look at each other and said “oh nothing”.

Zach and I met around the same time I met James. James and I have a give and take friendship, whereas Zach is all take. When I met James he still had a buzzed head and walked around like he was in shackles. Always looking down, James never had it easy. He’s grown quite a bit, but he still acts like a child. Zach never had a problem in his whole life. His dad knows mine since they’re in the same squad and his mother owns a prestigious clothes company called “Cutless”. Driving towards his manor, I could see him gelling his blonde hair, spiking it to no end. His blue eyes met mine and quickly looked away. Amber got off to hug him. “So toots, you ready for this or what?” He said with his hand at her waist a little too long. “Going to a place that James thinks is cool just to prove he knows the best drummer in town? Yeah, this will be a quick little letdown! Shit head thinks he knows everyone.” she said getting back in the van. James, a little more frustrated that usual, switched gears and floored it to make Amber fly backward. “What the hell is your problem?! Max, do something about your friend!” “Oh he’s just excited Hun. I’m sure he’ll behave” I said trying not to laugh. Amber started falling asleep and couldn’t hold her head up anymore. As she lay on Zach’s shoulder, I dug my fingers into my thigh looking in the over head mirror seeing her long blond hair fall silently into his lap. Her light pink lips smacking, and her green eyes hidden, I said nothing watching the peacefully looking girl slip into a dream lying in the arms of my friend. “We’re here!” James yelled out in excitement. The first thing I noticed was the smell of urine in the air, an intoxicating substance stained in the pavement, and leading to the club’s doors were the words “The end is near” tagged nearly everywhere. “James…where the hell are we?” Amber asked almost scared to let her feet touch the ground. “Only the most bad ass club in the state! Now let’s hurry up and find Ryan before his band starts playing!” James said already opening the door. I looked up admiring the sign above me. Chuckling to myself I noticed the skull and crossbones replacing the olives in the cocktail glass sign. The words “After Life” smeared across the wall, with A and F being the biggest of the blood red letters. Walking into through the doors, I didn’t know what to expect.

Smoke filled the air and I could barely make out the red carpeting leading us towards the stage. The smell of pot in the air, I inhaled slowly and walked into the nearest restroom. Looking in the mirror I stared blankly into my own eyes. All I can see was an darkness in them and all I can feel was a rush to leave, and quickly. “Hey man, you alright?” James asked as he unloaded the bag he was carrying. “James…I need to get out of here.” I said with my hands at my temples, putting pressure as though to keep my head from getting larger. “Maybe this will help” James said holding a syringe in his left hand. “What the hell are you doing?!” I backed away from the needle into the corner of the bathroom. “You know what it is Max, I’ve shot up with your sister plenty of times to know!” James grudgingly shouted echoing in the bathroom. I felt sick to my stomach and the walls seemed like they were getting further away. I only wanted to leave, and it didn’t seem like I’d be going anywhere for awhile. “…what will happen?” I asked with my head down trying not to look at the needle pointed to the ground. “You’ll feel better. Its like medicine Maxwell, it’s like medicine.” James kept saying as he moved closer and closer to me. I extended my arm and closed my eyes. “Just hurry up” I said as James rolled up my sleeve. I barely felt it, and before I knew it I was overwhelmed by the images surrounding me. “How are you feeling Max?” James asked while he was packing everything. “I feel…good.”

“Look they already started playing!” James shouted to Amber and Zach as they quickly distanced themselves from each other. I started walking towards my fiancé and all I can hear were my distorted footsteps. Breaking the silence was a voice followed by an E5 guitar chord. The drums started off slowly as the spotlight shone on the singer. Her hair in her face and her microphone in her hand, she raised it slowly as her hair flew back. Mesmerized by the sound, and even more fixated on this girl, I found myself unable to look away. Our eyes met, but I doubt she could see me. I found myself smiling for some reason. My focus was solely on her. All thought ceased to exist, all want or drive fled my body, and I was hypnotized by the gaze. “Maxwell? …Maxwell! MAXWELL!” Amber slapped me as hard as she could. “What’s wrong with you?” She asked with only a hint of worry. “Is it time yet?” I asked James not knowing exactly what I meant by it. “Nearly” James said grabbing my shoulder. “Checking out the fine piece of ass on stage Maxxie?” Zach asked staring at the singer licking his lips. “He better not have been!” Amber said squeezing my arm. I was completely distracted from the conversation. Her voice emulated through me and set inside me. The music stopped and she announced their names. Cora.

“She’s pretty isn’t she?” James said to us. Amber scoffed and crossed her arms. “I know what I’m doing tonight.” Zach said watching Cora walk backstage. Amber hit his chest, “What about-” “What about what Amber?” Zach said with his eyes opened wide. “Come on, its time to see Ryan” James said sort of rushed. I couldn’t tell what was really going on. All I knew was that I was going towards that girl. Cora. In a trance I walked against the wall towards the backstage entrance. Ryan met us outside. “There you are James” Ryan said going into a hug. “Haven’t seen you guys in a long ass time,” He said watching me. My vision was getting clearer and I finally remembered what I was doing here. “It certainly has been a while.” I said peering behind him into the hallway of the dressing rooms. “Mind telling me what you’re looking for?” Ryan said blocking my view. “Oh, he’s just never been backstage before coz ” James said as he stood in front of me. “He was looking for that hottie of a lead singer you have.” Zach said almost immediately. “That ‘hottie’ has a name” Ryan said glaring at him. “Cora…” I said almost whispering. “Cora, right?” James said snapping his fingers. Ryan seemed to cool off quickly. “Yeah, come on, I’ll show you backstage.” Passing the plastered stars on each door I read “Cora off the third one down the hallway.” I stopped for a minute. I raised my hand to the door and made a fist...