That Girl

Sienna

I was at work stocking the shelves in the back, basically I like stocking because I get to talk to my coworkers I like instead of talking to customers that I hate. If I talk at all that is. I was restocking the shelves with cereal and I was humming a song. “What’s got you so happy,” Matt said with an eyebrow raised, “is it a guy?”

“Matt,” I said looking at him; “in all the time you’ve known me and asked that question, has the answer ever been yes.”

“Fine,” he shrugged, “is it a girl?” I hit him with some packing material and then he continued, “as your oldest and possibly only guy friend, can you tell me what is going on.”

“I have more guy friends,” I crossed my arms and smiled. He gave me a look that says spit it out and I bit my lip trying to tip toe around the fact that it really was based around a guy. “Well there’s this , umm,” I searched my mind for words.

“Guy,” he said.

“Yes, okay, but it’s not what you think, I don’t like him,” I said.

“Well, that’s new,” he said sarcastically.

“Can I go on,” I said angrily and he nodded as he put another box on the shelf, “well I may have kissed him on a dare that Kim gave me and then he found me on facebook and I’ve just kind of been playing with him since. It’s fun.”

He looked at me blankly, “you are a horrible person.”

“It’s no different than when you found Kim on Facebook and started talking randomly to her,” I said, “as I recall you didn’t even know her.”

“Yes,” he said, “but she didn’t talk to me and lead me on or kiss me and leave.” I shrugged, “I know you may not believe this, but guys have feelings too and I know you like to play with them and Si, that is not cool.” Matt and I have known each other since kindergarten and he got me this job, he is my closest guy friend, sadly.

I shook my head, “I do not play with guys, no guy has ever even liked me unless you count Joseph.” I thought about it and then shook my head, “and you can’t blame me for that, he was creepy and I made it very clear that I wasn’t interested in him.”

“Fair enough,” he said, “but there was Jeremy.” I looked away, “you lead him on, dragging him on a leash and then nothing.”

“I didn’t know I was leading him on,” I said.

“But you know you’re leading this one on,” he said.

“But I don’t know him,” I said, “and is there really any way he’s going to find out, so let’s just drop it.” I know he still had objections, but before he was going to let them out I caught a glimpse of Clarissa and knew exactly how I was going to change the topic, “what do you think of Clarissa’s hair?” I looked at him briefly and then back at her, “I think I’m going to cut mine like it.”

“I know the short look is big,” he said, “but as a guy, I warn you we like girls with hair.”

“And since the moment you met me, my goal in life was to do whatever I could to get the attention of the male species,” I nodded sarcastically.

“And you are failing miserably,” he said.

“You say that now,” I raised my eyebrow, “yet a minute you were reiterating how in the past I have made guys fall head over heels and that I’m on the verge of doing it once more.” I looked at him and shrugged, “kind of sounds like I’m doing a pretty damn good job.”

He scrunched up his face, “only because you’re the biggest tease ever.” I can’t take offence to that, due to the undeniable truth value of the argument, but I could however throw the box in my hand at him.

“Okay on a completely separate topic,” I said grabbing his attention, “I’m going to a party tonight, would you like to be my escort?” He looked at me unsure, mostly because by escort I mean will you drive me there. “Kim’s going to meet me there,” I said raising my eyebrow, “given she’ll probably be late, but you’ve met my friend Ashley right, because she’ll be there.”

“The bigger one,” he rose his eyebrow.

“Would it kill you to stop being a shallow jerk for once in your life,” I said, “I’m not saying you have to hook up with her, I’m saying you know her so you can talk to her, plus you seem to be okay at making friends.” He crossed his arms and looked at me. I shook my head giving in, “please, please, I won’t leave you alone if you don’t take me.” He smirked, “or I could always just text your girlfriend and tell her about,” I got my phone out and started reading the list of names, “Stacy, Rachel, Carly, Ericka …”

“Fine,” he said, “I’ll take you.” I smiled sufficiently and got back to work. I jumped up and did my brief happy dance to which he just laughed at.