Status: one and done.

Playing House Forever

one of one.

Staring at the house in front of her, Rory let out a sigh. This was the house she had lived in from birth until it was time to move out. Her mother had moved to Florida to make retirement easier and left the house to Rory to do whatever she pleased.

The house was placed on the edge of Nova Scotia, where the next neighbor was found miles away. It was the ideal place for large families and it had the Southern charm that people seemed to love. Deep in her heart Rory knew she could never sell the house, so she decided to move into it.

The day before she was set to move in, Rory walked around her newly acclaimed property with her boyfriend.

“I can’t believe this is mine.” She said, looking around.

Sidney looked down and smiled at her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

“I know, seems just like yesterday when my mom made me come over to meet you.” He said, laughing at the memory.

When Sidney was 6 years old, his mother had bribed him with new hockey pads. She had made him go over to the new neighbor’s house and meet their 4 year old daughter. Even when they first met, he had felt a connection with her. She was petite, only reaching his chin, with golden blonde hair, and bright green eyes. To this day, he would never regret the bribe his mother had made.

Rory smiled up at him and blushed, remembering the story of their meeting.

“I can’t believe you had to be bribed to come meet me!” She said, faking shock.

Sidney smiled and kissed her forehead.

Walking down the dirt path and turned the corner, Sidney and Rory both stopped when they caught sight of the tree they had claimed as theirs years ago.

Rory let go of Sidney’s and to walk over to the tree and ran her fingers across the inscriptions they had carved long ago.

“S.P.C -n- R.L.J”

Rory smiled and looked at Sidney, her eyes bright and her cheeks rosy.

“I forgot about this!” She said, running her fingers along the tree as he walked over towards her.
He smiled and looked at the carving he had carved a lifetime ago it seemed. He looked around and froze looking straight up. He looked back at Rory and smiled when she saw the tree house in the tree above them. She ran to where the ladder was and climbed up, only stopping at the top to make sure it was stable. She climbed in, seeing all the old things they had stored in their ‘fort’, as Sidney had called it, saying tree house was too ‘girly’.
She heard Sidney climb in and smirked at him. He looked at her, eyes wide; unsure of what she was thinking.

“Let’s play house, Sidney” She said, mocking him.

Sidney blushed and looked around.

When they were 14 and 12, they would come to play in the tree house and Sidney would always want to be the dad. He would convince Rory that they needed to make babies. He would ask her to raise her shirt so he could touch her small breast.

Looking back, it made Rory ‘aw.’

“You loved it,” He said, shrugging his shoulders. Sidney glanced around the room and sat on the small tree stump they had used as a chair. He looked at Rory to see her smiling while looking out the small window.

“Remember our first kiss?” She asked, knowing he would.

***

Sidney smiled at Rory, seeing her playing with the baby doll. They were once again playing
house and Rory was the mother, while we was the father. He smirked at her and put his plan into action.

“Rory, let’s get a babysitter for the kids and lets go on a date tonight.” He said, looking at her perfect face.

Rory scrunched her nose up and shrugging.

“Okay, Sidney.” She said, placing the baby doll in the crib. She looked at him and smiled. He smiled back and pulled out the small chair at the table and let her sit down. She smiled and sat down, letting him push her chair in as he grabbed two juice boxes from the cooler they had.

“How was your day with the baby?” He asked putting his straw in his drink.

“It was okay. She got sick and I had to take her to the doctor.” She said, sipping from her own juice.

“I hope it wasn’t too serious,” He said, making out to be worried about a baby doll.

“No, she just had to poop.” Rory said, shrugging.

Sidney laughed and stood up, grabbing her hand. He sat his juice down and placed her hands in his.

“I love you,” He said, looking into her eyes.

“I love you too, Sidney.” Rory said, smiling up at him.

He took the chance and placed his lips on hers.

Rory stood frozen, at the age of 13; she had never been kissed so she was unsure of what to do. Sidney moved his lips on her and she copied the movements.

Soon, he pulled away, worry and satisfaction laced in his eyes.

“Rory?” He asked softly. Unsure of what she was thinking.

She looked up at him and smiled, nodding her head.

“It’s okay Sid, I liked it.” She smiled and kissed his cheek.

He let out a gust of air and kiss her again.


***

“Yes, I do,” He said, laughing.

She smiled and glance back at him, sadness in her eyes.

“I miss playing house.” She said, looking up at him as he wrapped her in his arms. He placed his chin on her head, and then froze, thinking of the perfect way to finally ask her.

He glanced down at her before sliding to one knee, knowing this was hit or miss.

“Rory, I’ve loved you since we were children and I’m never going to stop. Will you do me the honor and marry me? Will you play house with me forever?” He asked, seeing the shock in her eyes.

She smiled and nodded her head placing her hands in his as he put the ring on her finger,

She hugged him when he stood up and whispered in his ear.

“I’d love to play house with you, forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I loved this contest, Thanks for letting me enter!