Status: It's baaack!

Dirty Little Secret

sixteen

I was in the kitchen with my parents when Zack called the next day.

“Hey,” I greeted, answering the phone. I dropped a bag as I opened the refrigerator. I was trying to put away groceries with one hand and it wasn’t working out so well.

“J-Jack, can I come over?” Zack stammered out immediately, his tone different from usual.

I frowned, “You sound upset. What’s wrong?”

“I’ll tell you when I’m over there. Please?” he asked quietly.

“Sure, you can come over. Just drive carefully, it’s icy outside,” I said, still confused.

“Okay. Be there in five minutes.” Zack hung up before I could say anything else and I frowned, pulling the phone away from my ear. I shoved the rest of the groceries into the fridge before shutting it and standing up.

“Who was that, honey?” my mom asked.

“Zack. He’s gonna come over in a few minutes,” I said, running a hand through my hair.

“You boys have been getting along well. I thought you ‘hate him and wish he would drop off the face of the earth,’” my dad taunted, quoting what I had said a few months ago.

I blushed, shaking my head. I still hadn’t told them that we were dating, since it had only been two weeks or so now. “No, I don’t hate him. He’s okay.”

“Uh huh. Well, go on and wait for the boy to knock on the door. I’ll be sure to mention to him that he’s ‘okay,’” my dad teased, shooing me out of the room.

“Don’t even think about it!” I exclaimed, walking out of the kitchen as my parents laughed. I had a feeling that they both knew Zack was more than a friend. The doorbell rang a few minutes later and I opened the front door, raising my eyebrows at the sight of Zack. He was just wearing a hoodie and pajama pants, looking like he had just rolled out of bed. It was only eleven in the morning, so that was possible. He looked tired and upset though. “Hey, come inside. You’ll freeze out there in those clothes.”

“It’s not that cold,” Zack mumbled as he stepped inside, and I rolled my eyes. It was fifteen degrees outside and snowing.

“Come on, let’s go up to my room. My parents are probably spying on us from the kitchen,” I said, glancing behind us. The door to the kitchen swung shut as I spoke, confirming my suspicion.

Zack followed me upstairs quietly, waiting for me to shut the door and sit on my bed before sitting next to me.

“So what’s wrong? You look upset,” I said, reaching out to hold his hand. Something suddenly occurred to me as I looked at him. “Oh. Did your mom and dad talk to you last night?”

“This morning, actually. Twenty minutes ago. My mom woke me up when my dad got home from his business trip and made me come downstairs to talk to them. I admitted to my parents that I’m bisexual. My mom was cool with it – she just wanted to know how long you and I have been together. My dad, on the other hand...” Zack groaned, scowling and shaking his head.

“What’d he do?”

“He asked how long I’ve been a faggot. His exact words,” Zack said, sighing and closing his eyes.

“And...?” I questioned, knowing there was more.

“My mom yelled at him for saying that. I didn’t really acknowledge it; I just told him that I’ve been bisexual for a while. Then he went on a rant about how it’s not acceptable to like both genders, or something stupid like that, and told me I could ‘only choose one.’ So I told him I prefer guys and he totally blew up. He stood up and started yelling about how he can’t believe his son is a faggot, that it’s my teacher’s fault for pairing me up with you, and he said I’m a sick excuse for a son,” Zack said, his voice cracking near the end.

“Oh my gosh,” I said, eyes wide. I squeezed his hand a little tighter. This was definitely a side of Zack that I hadn’t seen before, and I wasn’t sure if I liked it. It made me sad to see him upset.

He sighed, “I was trying not to cry but it’s kind of hard when your own father is being such a dickhead. He laughed at me and said being a faggot is turning me soft. My mom came over to comfort me but I went upstairs, grabbed my phone and wallet, and went straight out to my car. I had just stopped crying when I called you. I didn’t know where else to go.”

“Like I said yesterday, I’m here for you no matter what,” I said softly, kissing him on the cheek.

He smiled weakly, leaning against me. “Thanks.”

“Do you want to stay here tonight? I’m sure my parents won’t mind. I know you probably don’t want to go back home today, since your dad is being an asshole,” I said, putting an arm around him.

“That would be awesome. As long as your parents don’t mind that I’m here,” Zack said, sitting back up to look at me. “Do... do your parents know about us?”

I shook my head, “I haven’t told them... but we could now.”

“Now?” Zack squeaked as I pulled him off the bed and toward the door.

“Why not? It’s better to do it now rather than later,” I said, pulling him downstairs with me.

“But what if they don’t approve? What if they hate me? I haven’t even met your dad,” Zack whispered desperately, looking terrified.

I squeezed his hand, “My parents aren’t anything like your dad, Zack. I promise.”

Zack opened his mouth to argue, but I pushed the kitchen door open and walked in, still holding his hand. My parents were sitting at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper and talking. They both looked up when we walked in.

“Is this the Zack I’ve heard so much about?” my dad asked, and I blushed slightly.

“Yeah, this is Zack. And, uh, we have something to tell you,” I said awkwardly, looking down at our hands. Zack tried to pull his away but I held on tightly. “Zack’s my boyfriend. We’ve been dating for about two weeks now.”

“Aww, I knew it!” my mom practically squealed.

“How?” I demanded.

She rolled her eyes, “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Every time I walk by your room you’re on the phone with him, and you’ve been at his house a lot even after your project.”

“Oops. Busted,” I smiled, looking over at Zack.

“Well, congratulations. I’m glad you boys are happy together,” my dad said with a smile.

“See, I told you he would be supportive,” I said to Zack softly, squeezing his hand before letting go.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Barakat. And thank you,” Zack said, stepping forward to shake my dad’s hand.

“Likewise. And of course I’m supportive – why wouldn’t I be?” my dad asked curiously.

“My dad kind of... uh...” Zack trailed off and looked at me for help.

“His dad was an asshole this morning. Zack told his parents that he’s bi because they didn’t know, and his mom was supportive but his dad went on a rant about how he doesn’t want a faggot for a son,” I explained bluntly.

“Oh, honey, I’m sorry. You’re welcome to stay over here as much as you want,” my mom said sympathetically.

“Thanks, Mrs. Barakat. That means a lot.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Zack's dad is not making a good entrance into this story, is he?

This one's a little longer than usual. I'll have the next chapter up by next weekend!

Thanks for all the comments and rec's and subscriptions, I really appreciate it. Don't be a silent reader!

Thanks to:
BarakittyLover
coolstoryBrosif
LaRawra!
GlamorousZombie
SimpleAsMaya
BeautifullyTattooed
Cellophane Soldier
kissmeslowly.
heart-of-rock
AriaAlive
sylarisahero
MoMo_92
JustThinking

for their comments! :)