Status: Work In Progress

My White Knight

un

I have never expected more from him, I always knew what I would get when I walked through that door. I always knew when I awoke the next morning he would be gone, no note, just the warmth from his body and his smell in the sheets. From the start it seemed simple, he got he wanted and I got what I wanted. Time wore on and though I never expected more, I wanted more. I wanted to wake up in his arms, give him a morning kiss and just lay there for hours staring at the ceiling. I wish I had the right to get jealous when I see him across the room flirting with Pansy or some other pig like girl. That was not how it worked though, and I knew it from the start.

I stared out the window hardly able to even close my eyes, his arm tight around my waist. Soon he would kiss the back of my neck, stand, get dressed, and leave. It was how we worked, how it has worked for the last six months. Well how it has worked for him. While he slept though I would lay there staring out the window, trying to memorize every aspect of his touch and look. Trying to recall the sounds he would make, trying to recall how this all even got started.

Lightening struck out side illuminating my room. The few pictures yelled and then settled back to various stages of silence. That is except for one painting facing the bed. The paintings main focus was a young night, sitting high upon a horse of pure black.

Mysteriously the portrait looked like Draco Malfoy, or maybe not mysterious at all. Of course Draco would never notice I thought bitterly, he never notices anything. The portrait smiled down at me and blew me a kiss as any knight in shinning armor would.

If only Draco could see how much I needed him to be my knight. To be only mine and not rush away as the first slivers of light lit up the room. Even if for one night he would stay until I woke up and smiled down at me. I do not need some confession of undying love from him, he could drink a million fire whiskies and never admit it. Just once I needed him to be there with me, through the night.

I sighed softly as I felt his arm slip from my waist and the soft butterfly kiss on my neck. I listened to his feet shuffle across the floor and the crinkle of him sliding his uniform back on. I knew he was watching me, trying to decide if I was awake or not. I listened for him to close the door and leave but the sound never came. Suddenly the bed shifted and I rolled slightly towards Draco's side. I looked up into those piercing eyes, he stared down at me with a look I had never seen from him. Passion and confusion were swirling within the blues of his eyes. I looked away as he slid closer.

His forehead softly touched my shoulder and I could feel my heart rate quicken. This was not normal, we had a system and he was going against it. Maybe tonight he will finally stay, tonight can finally be different. His breath fanned across my shoulder as I felt a shiver run down my spine.

"I have to go, tonight will be the best yet." I knew it was but a whisper but it sounded like clanging metal dropped on the floor in my mind. It filled up the room, every crevice. He was leaving again just like every other time. I looked up as he slowly stood, into those hurricane eyes I thought I once knew. No longer could I even see a bit of the boy I loved, the passion was gone, only ice left in it's place.

"Stay." The word echoed through the room, clattering off the walls and back to my ears. My eyes widened as I realized the word had passed from my lips. The sound was my voice. I stared up at him and tried to see what he was even thinking. He just stared at me and quickly looked away.

"That is not how this works, you know that." The ice in his tone sent a shiver down my spine as I looked down. I didn't move not even when I heard the door shut with a loud thud. Or when his footsteps faded down the stairs. I stayed on that bed as the sun rose and fell, as people moved and lived around me. I should never have expected more, but yet part of me had always hoped for more. I no longer have to worry about that part, it froze with the ice in his tone. Silly me for ever thinking Draco could be more, as the light faded from my room I realized. All Draco could ever be was a whisper of a dream, never my white knight.