Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

016

"I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems
I'm wide awake."

Katy Perry - Wide Awake


Cotton sheets wrapped around my body, loose threads nuzzling my neck and tickling the skin. The warmth of the sunken bed held me fast in a seductive hold keeping me in place and from abandoning the cocoon I layed in. The pillow beneath my head felt as soft as feathers and caressed it, like a massage from the wings of angels.

My eyelids twitched and I could feel myself beginning to stir. My senses becoming aware of the my surroundings - that's when I noticed. The bed I lay on was much softer and worn then my own which was still firm from being unused, and the sheets were thin with what felt like a knitted blanket tossed over them. I didn't have a knitted blanket.

I wasn't in my room.

My eyes flew open and I looked around frantically but because I opened them so fast and moved my head to soon they didn't have time to adjust and was blinded by light and had my vision blurred. Through my squinted eyes I could see someone. A tall, dark figure entered the room. Panic began to set in once I realized I was not in my own bed. The fear and anxiety that nearly began to peak subsided when I recognized the figure as Jacob. A wave a relief swept through me relaxing my tensed muscles.

I rested my head back on the pillow.

He yawned. "Morning." His voice was gruff scratchy, probably from just waking up.

Rays of sunlight pierced the blinds, illuminating the room bringing the empty space to life. I yawned, inhaling the earthy scent the room had. The set up reminded me of Sam and Emily's home and the bedroom I had gone to talk to Jacob in. It was very simple with a mixture of dark and natural colors. "How did I get here?"

"You fell asleep. So I brought you here."

"Oh." I used my palms to push myself up into a sit. "You didn't have to do that. "

He quirked a small smile and shook his head. "I didn't mind." I returned his smile and stared at the walls, looking at the off-white, nearly yellow color.

"Whose room is this?"

"Mine." He shoved his hands into his pockets. I may have dreamed of this moment in the real world but now that I'm here I didn't feel as confident or sexy as I imagined myself. Instead I felt embarrassed and awkward sitting in his bed and not at all like the woman I perceived myself to be. For doing nothing wrong I felt in over my head.

If this was his bed, then where did he...

"Jake, where did you sleep?"

He nodded his head towards the door. "On the couch."

"You should've woken me up. I wouldn't mind sleeping on the couch."

"You really think my dad would have let you sleep on the couch?" He laughed and raised and eye-brow. He was right. Billy probably would have scolded his son for making me sleep on the couch since he was so fixated on the idea of 'us'. He was so obvious with his facial expressions it was hard not to notice. I didn't blame him though, he was just desperate to get his son's mind off a certain someone.

"Yeah, he probably would have gotten mad at you."

"Mad? Man would have thrown me out the window." I laughed at the visual Jacob had given me of his wheelchair-bound father throwing him out of a glass window. "'Sides, I wouldn't have let you sleep on the couch even if you were awake."

"You would have felt my thunder, little boy."

"Little boy?" He raised an offended eyebrow.

"I'm older then you, aren't I?"

"I don't know, how old are you?"

"19."

He shook his head. "... damn." I laughed and stretched. He turned away to walk out of the room but before he could vanish around the corner I called out for him. He turned around to face standing in the doorway.

"Have you heard from anyone?" I had completely forgotten I was supposed to call Carlisle to pick me up last night and with Alice not being able to see me they had no idea if anything happened to me.

"I called Bella." He stood in the doorway, leaning against the door frame. "I told her you fell asleep and spent the night. She told the Cullens."

"Are they mad?"

"Upset, probably, but I don't think they're mad. I told her to let them know you'll call when you wake up."

I guess I can call them later.

"Thanks." I pulled the covers from my legs and looked down at the feet that were bare. My socks and shoes were gone. I looked around the floor searching for the with my eyes. I had nearly given up when I spotted them perched on a chair with my socks tucked neatly into them.

The thought of Jacob removing my socks and shoes and tucking me into bed made a heat rise in my cheeks. I stood from the bed and put them on and left the room in search of him. I found exactly where I thought he would be. The Kitchen.

"Are you hungry?" Jacob stood in front of an open refrigerator.

"kind of." I nodded and rubbed my stomach.

He closed the door and faced me, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand avoiding eye-contact and gave his shoulders a small shrug. Seeming more shy then he was a moment ago. "Do you... Do you wanna eat?" He seemed almost nervous to ask. I summed it up to him not knowing me very well and how to get me out of his house. I was the one who nearly came barging in yesterday.

"Sure. What'dya got?"

"Nothing here." He chuckled. "But if you want breakfast or lunch I know this good place."

"Sounds good to me. Where is it?"

He walked up to the counter and picked up his keys, turning around to face me with a grin on his face. "Emily's."

Image

Jacob and I got ready in a matter of moments since all I had to do was wash my face and mouth and run my fingers through my hair. All he had to do was throw on a shirt after washing up. The ride to Sam and Emily's was a quiet one that was filled with the sound of the radio. Because I had slept so long I felt even more tired and was ready to go back to bed, but Jacob was awake and had his mind set on food.

We drove down the same path I remember from the first trip to their home. I didn't feel as scared but knowing what happened last time still sent chills up my spine. I knew that Jacob wouldn't ever intentionally hurt me or anyone and that thought eased me. If it had been someone like Paul I argued with then I feel a bit more wary about coming back. Thankfully it wasn't.

Jacob pulled up to the house and turned off his car and turned to face me, a cautious look on his face.

"What?"

"If Sam tells you - "

"Sam? What would he want?"

"Nothing. But if Sam does want to speak to you about anything just nod, even if you're not listening."

"Okay... but why would he want to talk to me in the first place?"

"He needs to make sure you are safe and feel comfortable with living with the Cullens. He needs to make sure that they haven't tried to break the treaty."

"But I thought the treaty only applied to no hunting on the reservation."

He shook his head. "If they kill a human on Forks there's nothing stopping them from killing a human in La Push. And the treaty was made to protect all humans in the area, not just those on the reservation. If a threat is near - it's a danger to us." He opened the door and pushed it open with his foot and shrugged. "It's something he needs to do as alpha of the pack. He's trying to keep tabs of their actions. Especially since it deals with another human living with them."

I get it. He wanted information, or at least some kind of hint to let him know I felt threatened.

I followed Jacob's actions and followed him up onto the porch and the front door. He entered the house without knocking and announced our arrival, though I suspected they already knew since Jacob's car was pretty loud and recognizable.

We entered to find Sam sitting at the table reading the paper and Emily in the kitchen cooking what smelled like pancakes and bacon. She wore a pink short-sleeved, shirt, loose jeans and white fuzzy slippers. Her hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail. Sam wore cut of jeans and a black wife beater.

"Hey, morning!" She smiled pouring the batter into a skillet. "Glad you guys are here. I think I made too much pancake batter."

"Happy to fix that problem." Jacob smiled and approached the table, giving Sam a nod of acknowledgment. He returned the nod looked to me, giving me a friendly smile. He pulled out a chair and sat down in the vacant one next to it. I thanked him and sat down.

"How are you?"

"Fine. Just sleepy... you?" I returned his smile.

"Good." He folded the paper and placed it in the middle of the table. "What do you think about last night?" Right, the legends. It was supposed to be my first time hearing them - I forgot I was supposed to act like it was all new to me.

"Still trying to process it."

"You looked like you took it well." He gave me a pointed stare. "Not as surprised as I thought you would be. Bella was stumped the first time she heard them." I froze inside. Did he suspect something?

"It was easier to believe after... you know." I wiggled the fingers of my broken arm. He gave me a hard stare that looked like a deep thought expression and he slowly nodded his head. An awkward tension fell over the kitchen.

"Did you enjoy last night, Evelyn?" Emily spoke up, a kind smile on her face.

"Yeah. Even though I kinda already knew about the guys being wolves it was cool to hear why they can become wolves. It actually helped."

"I was just as lost the first time I found out. You get used to it." She looked to Sam who seemed to sense her looking at him and looked back, receiving a blown kiss. It was extremely adorable but so strange to see since I always thought of Sam as the tough guy with no softer sides. I kinda wanted to laugh but held it back.

"What time are the others going to come by?" Jacob asked.

"Around noon." I looked up at the clock they had hanging on the wall. 9:45 a.m. 2 hours.

Emily finished cooking the dinner after protesting that I help her and set everything onto the table, laying out a very delicious and very large breakfast meal. I looked at her with wide eye until I remembered that both Sam and Jacob were wolves and ate like them. Even though I knew they needed to eat a lot I was still stunned to see just how many pancakes and strips of bacon both boys ate.

While I had about 3 pancakes, 4 strips of bacon and a piece of toast each boy had about 8 pancakes, twelve strips of bacon and half a loaf of bread of toast - each. I wonder how many turkeys they make on Thanksgiving.

The meal was full of small talk and sweet glances between Sam and Emily. It was strange to see him acting in such a loving manner. I was seeing him in a whole new light. Then again we only see Sam in Bella's point of view and when ever she sees him it always has something to do with Edward and the treaty or rogue, psychotic vampires.

The breakfast was very delicious and by the time we were done there was not a scrap of food left, even though both Sam and Jacob looked like they wanted to lick the syrup from their plates. Thankfully I didn't have an appetite like theirs and was completely satisfied. I could see that if there was more food Jacob would have no problem with eating more.

But he ate it all. So it was gone.

Despite Emily's protest I helped her pick up the dishes, wash and put away everything. It was the least I could do since she made a meal Jacob and I so rudely intruded on. As we cleaned Sam and Jacob excused themselves saying they had to check on things and left. Of course, Sam gave Emily a sweet peck before leaving that left Jacob and I feel awkward as we waited for the couple to finish.

Once they were gone Emily and I finished cleaning the kitchen and sat down at the table for some 'girl talk,' at least that's what she said it was. So there we sat, Emily in Jacob's seat with rested her elbow on the table and propped her chin on her fist. She didn't beat around the bush.

"Do you like him?"

"Who?" I sat up and stared at her quizzically.

"Jacob."

"Jacob?" She gave me a 'mm-hmm' and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah. I mean he a pretty cool guy."

"No," she chuckled and shook her head. "Do you like him?"

"Like? ...As in like like?" She pursed her lips and nodded her head, a twinkle in her deep, brown eyes.

"No!" I laughed. "No, we're just friends."

"Really?" She lifted her head from her fist. "Because from what I heard you guys were pretty close last night."

"I was cold." I clarified. " And Paul was beginning to creep on me."

"You sure? You guys do seem pretty... you know." She gave me a suggestive smile.

"No," I shook my head with a laugh, "No, we're only friends. He's just... He's just really nice."

"Really nice?" She smiled and quirked an eyebrow.

I smiled back. "Yeah."

"Okay." A soft smile, unlike the others, graced her lips and lit up her face. The front door opened and in stepped Jacob. Emily gave me a small pat on my arm and excused herself saying she wanted to find Sam. As she closed the door behind herself Jacob approached the table.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"What you doing?" He took a step closer.

"Sitting." I gestured towards myself and the dinner table. "You?"

"Standing." I smiled at his reply. He grinned revealing his pearly white teeth. "Uh, the guys won't be here for another hour and a half. So I was wondering if you wanted to stick around longer or wanted to go home." He glanced down at the ground and shuffled his feet. "I can take you if you want."

I didn't have anything to do. If I went back to the house now I'd have to listen to Edward complain about me going against his word and running off and another 'get the hell out of here' lecture from Rosalie. I didn't feel like dealing with that, not when my day was going so good.

"I'll stay."

"Really?" He perked up.

"Yeah."

"Cool. Er, what do you wanna do? There isn't much, but we can walk or talk, or... "

"Can we walk through the forest?"

"Through the forest?"

"Yeah."

"Sure." I grinned widely and stood up from the seat, ecstatic to be going on a walk through the woods. I've been wanting to take a hike or a brisk walk but couldn't because I was constantly watched and never allowed to venture out into the forest on my own.

"Great!"

Jacob and I left the house and walked into the woods side by side. The sound of the leaves crunching beneath my feat was soothing, the smell of the trees and rain in the air was a mixture made in heaven. Jacob walked next to me with his hands tucked into his pant pockets, kicking at rocks strewn along the forest floor.

The surrounding was peaceful and calmed my nervous mind. A lot had been going through my mind when I woke up this morning from the first thought of thinking I was kidnapped, although finding out I was in Jacob's bed was just as bad. It was a friendly gesture but to some people, like Billy Black, it can seem like so much more. Even what Emily had brought up about Jacob and I looking close had sent red flags throughout my body. What was a get away from humiliation turned out to look like something deeper.

I don't blame them though. If two people excused themselves to go on a walk on the beach alone I would have thought something was going on between them. Sometimes what we perceive is different from what is.

I won't lie. Last night was an experience. Never have I had a guy offer to give me a piggyback ride so I wouldn't get stuck in the sand. Yeah, he was a smartass about it, but it was sweet. Most guys would have chose to keep pulling me up from the sand.

The birds chirped and sang in the trees as we walked along quietly, enjoying the silence and each others company.

"Do you like it here?" Jacob spoke up, kicking a large pebble.

I thought about his question for a moment. Looking up at the clouded sky and the tree tops, watching leaves falling as small forest creatures rustled the branches.

"Yeah. I think I do." I inhaled the sweet scent of nature. "It's a beautiful place."

"What about the people?" I looked from the sky to his face. He was staring down at me, his deep, dark brown eyes boring into my own. The depth the held - the emotion, gave me chills. They were so dark, so human, so animalistic. The untold stories, unshed tears and unspoken words were all held in his eyes. It was such a contrast from the Cullens who had golden eyes that didn't change much other then the color.

His eyes were real.

"... I like them."

He smiled softly and looked down at the pebble again.

Image

Jacob watched the waves crash against the shore, watched the white foam run up near his feet until it dissipated into a clear liquid. The familiar scent of the bitter, salty water was a welcoming smell. Above the ocean water were the stars that shined brightly against the black sky.

The night was beautiful.

He basked in the warmth he felt from the hands locked around his neck and the head resting on his shoulder. The small body pressing against his back provided him with the sense of being needed, something he hadn't felt in a while. He hasn't been needed, wanted, appreciated since he came back.

The night was calm.

He stood on the edge of the shore staring up at the stars and listening to the waves, the nocturnal animals that wandered the forest at night and the peaceful serenity that could only be offered after sun down. Though he couldn't feel the icy cold air he could feel it caressing his skin, molding him. As he stood at the edge he felt what he had been looking for: normalcy. In that moment his sole purpose was to hold on. Nothing was asked of him. The world was still and not spinning in its circle of endless chaos.

He inhaled deeply.

He could feel something coming. In that moment he knew that soon things were going to change. What exactly, he wasn't sure.

The night was over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thought I'd include a little moment of Jacob when he was at the beach and stood on the shore after Evelyn fell asleep. He's just enjoying the feeling :] don't we all want that?

Okay, here the next update! I thought I'd include some cuteness, especially since some of you have been wondering when it's going to happen. I hope you guys like the chapter, it's different then the other ones. Progression is slow but it is happening!

Let me know what you guys think of the chapter :)

Please leave love!