Behind the Silk Curtain

Christmas.

"Hmnmn," I said, taking a swig of my drink. "Coffee and beer…not sure if that's a good mix."

"Think of it as some sort of weird…jager bomb, thing," he replied. "But with coffee and beer."

"Okay…"

"I don't know," he laughed, nudging me in the arm. "Just bare with me, okay?"

"Done," I said, slipping my arm through his. "Drink with me?"

He smiled, tipping his drink towards himself, "To us?"

"To getting rid of Stacey," I said, causing him to laugh. "Maybe to our audition. That would be better."

"Alright, if you say so," he replied. "Besides, you're not fun."

"Fun schmun," I said, tipping our drinks to our mouths so that we had a drink. "I can be fun if I feel like."

He shifted his position so that he was facing me, "Show me."

"What?" I laughed.

"Show, me," he said, his features becoming dark.

I felt a cold sweep going through my body as I felt goosebumps prickling along my arms and the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. I took one more unattractive swig of my drink as I gave him the remainder of its contents. He set it on the ground beside the bed as I ran my hand up his leg.

His eyes flickered to me, wary, as I said, "Don't act like I haven't done this before."

"I don't doubt that you have," he said as I pushed him down on the bed underneath me and slipped my legs around his waist. "With your experience and all."

I dipped my head into his neck, nocking my chin up with his fingers as I sucked at his neck. I felt him, heard him moan, as I pulled his hands above his head and worked my way down his neck so my tongue plunged into a small gap in his collar bone.

I felt him shift underneath my body, as if he was going to take control, but I wouldn't let him do so. I held his hands firmly above his head as I began to nibble at his ear. WIth one hand holding him there, I stripped off the jumper that I wore and the tank top so that I was only wearing my track pants and bra.

I tied tank top around his wrists and pressed his hands down into his bed as I whispered into his ear, "Keep still."

"No," he growled, moving against me roughly and trying to tip me onto the flip side of the bed.

Placing my hands upon his shoulders and shoving him down onto the bed. I glare at him, my intensity sending a flash of fear into his eyes that only lasted a second. My hands slip up to his neck, thumbs underneath his chin and holding him there. A scowl reverberates across my lips as I saw him move his head up, looking down his nose at me.

"Who are you?" he struggled to say, swallowing hard.

I hissed at him and pulled myself away, sitting on the edge of the bed with crossed legs. From behind me, Thomas moved from the bed and struggled to get over to me with his hands tied with my tank top. He slipped his hands over my head and rested them against my stomach.

Thomas pulled me into his lap like a rag doll and pressed his nose into the crook of my neck. I sighed, accepting the movements into his laps. He said something about untying his hands but I ignored him. What the hell was I thinking, doing what I just did with him? Was I crazy? Did my landlord really have that effect on me?

"I don't think you've told me your entire story," he said. "Or were you just acting? Because if you were…"

"I wasn't," I said. "It was like something in my subconscious took over and you brought it out of me." I paused a moment, playing with his hands but refusing to undo his cuffs. "What are you doing to me, Tom?"

A soft smile spread across his lips as he kissed me not he cheek, saying, "Seems like we're a perfect match."

"I don't know," I said, pressing his fingers onto my stomach and feeling his rough fingers digging slightly into my skin. "I've done it before…but not that far."

I pressed his fingers to my lips, kissing them softly, as he said, "That all?"

"Yeah," I said, the music from the next room getting louder and louder as time passed. In that time, though, I slipped my arms behind me and pulled off his tank so that I could feel his rough body behind me. "I was too scared to go any further…He tried to push me but I wouldn't relent."

"Good choice," he said as his nose breathed in every part of me.

Someone burst through the door from the lounge room, completely and utterly drunk, with a guy dangling behind her. She apologises profusely and walks back out of the room. Thomas sighs and tries to remove himself from me but fails to do so.

With a small smile, we work together to walk over to the door. He pokes his head out and studies the party. Stacey is outside, laughing with some guy who is obviously trying to get her into bed. Some of the other guests saw us and began to laugh and mutter to themselves, point towards us.

I then realised that I was practically topless and hurried Thomas back into the room. They stopped their giggling when they saw Thomas toned back. He kicked the door shot and blocked out their reactions. I slipped out from underneath his arms and turning to face him.

I slowly untied my tank from around his wrists and threw it to the ground. He rubbed his wrists as he watched me move to his wardrobe and pull out some of his clothes -- a comfortable t-shirt and a pair of shorts. He said to me, "What are you doing?"

I glanced over to him, "Do you mind?"

"You have your own room and your own clothes," he said, going to the door that lead to our shared bathroom.

When he opened it, he saw a small group of girls, about two or three, huddled around the mirror. They had lipsticks and various other tools to touch up their make-up. They all looked to him, a topless handsome piece of man wanting them to get out.

"So your Stacey's hot roommate," one of the girls said.

"Former roommate," he said, moving away from the door. "Now, get out."

"No wonder she doesn't want to live with you anymore," another one said as they packed their things up to leave. Thomas moved into the room which hurried them further.

"She's the one having the house party without my consent and didn't even let my invite friends," he said. "Now move it."

Unimpressed, they scuttle out of the bathroom and slamming the door to his bedroom behind them, notifying us that they had left. Thomas motioned for me to follow him into the bathroom where he then opened the door to my bedroom where we found Stacey in her former bed sleeping with the guy that she was speaking to moments ago out on the balcony.

"Wasn't she just…"

"Yeah," Thomas replied, shutting the door instantly and turning to me. "My bed tonight?"

"Don't think we'll be going to sleep for a while, though," I said as we shuffled back into the his bedroom and he turned off the light and closed the door behind him.

"We have each other, at least," he said with a smile as he turned his back from me. "Change."

I did as he wished, stripping off all my clothes so that I was only in my panties. I piled up everything that I was wearing moments earlier in a pile on the floor at the end of the bed before I slipped on his t-shirt and his pair of shorts that fell comfortably around my hips.

I looked over my shoulder at him, seeing that he had turned around quicker then I expected, which must have meant that he saw pulling up my shorts. I groaned as I jumped back onto the bed and said, "I wish you didn't have to see that."

"Why?" he said, kneeling down on the ground in front of me. "You're beautiful, Elizabeth Lee."

I cringed, saying, "Not that word, please."

"But it's true…" he said, slinking up onto the bed and pressed me against the wall.

He took my head in his hands, his short, sharp breaths flaring over my skin like flames. I said to him, "Earlier…you said something."

"Remind me."

"You said that…" I started, closing my eyes and taking a moment before I spoke again. "You said that you…loved me."

I opened my eyes and almost recoiled at the sight. I was staring intensely, right into my soul, the core of my being. I swallowed. Hard.

"Is it true?" I questioned when he didn't respond.

Thomas removed himself from me and went to switch off the light to the room. I was left momentarily against the wall, wanting his touch and feeling so alone in the dark. It wasn't long before I felt him again, pulling me against the bed and slipping the blanket over us.

I was facing the wall on the opposite side of the room, Thomas lying behind me with his back pressed up against the wall that I was just leaning against. His long fingers dug into my skin as I felt his breaths wash over the back of my neck. I closed my eyes, wanting to block out the sounds of the party outside of the room.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" he asked me.

"Nothing," I replied, trying to remember the last time I celebrated Christmas. "I can't remember the last time I actually celebrated it."

"When your mum was alive?" he said and when he felt me stiffen, I could tell that he instantly regretting saying what he said. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

"It's okay," I sighed. "We never really celebrated it then. My parents were growing apart, anyway."

"Then how did you spend Christmas?"

"Alone, in the dark like this," I retold. "Apparently my education was present enough so I didn't even get birthday presents at that." I paused a moment. "And before you think about celebrating my birthday, it's already happened."

"When?"

"October 31st."

"How unfortunate."

"Thanks."

I heard him laugh, his soft sweet laugh that rumbled low through my body. I felt him kiss the base of my neck as he pulled me tighter against his chest. He said, "How would you like to spend Christmas with me?"

I smiled to myself in the dark, saying, "I would love to."