Status: Coming Soon!

What You Don't Know, Can't Hurt You

Chapter 8: Part 2

Brayden met me on my side of the truck and grabbed my hand. “Seriously. It’ll be fine,” he said, smiling down at me.

We headed towards the house and the moment we walked in we were greeted by Luke and a girl who I assumed was his girlfriend. I shook Luke’s hand and the girl pulled me into a hug while grinning widely and saying, “I’m Jeska.”

“Jory,” I said, smiling back at her. Suddenly I noticed the tension between Brayden and Luke and our focus returned to them.

“Um, this is kind of awkward but I just want to give you both a little heads up… Maddy’s been a little out of control since you went to pick her up,” Luke said to Brayden. Turning to me he continued, “She is really nice but, you know, she was used to Zoe and really loved her so this is kind of a big change and you know teenage girls – they don’t exactly react well to change.” We all laughed and Brayden once again grabbed my hand.

“She’ll be fine,” he said to me. “She’s not dumb enough to actually say anything to you. She’ll probably just glare at you,” he reassured me, rolling his eyes.

We headed towards the kitchen where we found their parents. Introductions were made (I was to call them Rita and Jeff because Mr. and Mrs. Schenn was “just ridiculous”) and it wasn’t nearly as awkward as I had anticipated. Brayden’s mom offered me a glass of wine and I nervously turned to Brayden. “She’ll have a beer,” he said, laughing. “She hates wine.”

“My kinda girl!” his dad said, excitedly. “I like you already.”

Everyone laughed and we quickly settled in to a very comfortable conversation and before I knew it I was helping Brayden’s mom get dinner ready with Jeska and the boys had moved outside to the patio.

“He’s keeping a really close eye on you,” Rita whispered to me, glancing over her shoulder. I turned and noticed Brayden leaning his back on the railing facing the house. He was talking and laughing with Luke and Jeff but you could notice him glancing in my direction every few seconds.

I shook my head and started laughing. “He’s probably scared I’m going to run as soon as I get a chance. He didn’t exactly tell me where we were going and I panicked a little in the truck.”

“Maybe you should run,” I heard someone say behind me. “You aren’t right for him anyway. Leave now and you’d be doing this whole family a favor.” I turned and saw a young girl standing in the doorway to the kitchen. I could only assume it was Maddy. “Seriously! GO!” she shouted.

“Madison Schenn!” Rita spat out. “What the hell do you think you’re doing? You do NOT speak to people like that!”

“She ruined his life!” she shouted back. By this time Brayden had heard the raised voices and made his way back into the house. “Zoe was the best thing that ever happened to us and THAT BITCH RUINED THAT! I want her to leave!”

Brayden’s eyes went wide. “Maddy! Shut the fuck up!” She turned and ran out of the room crying.

Brayden started towards me as his mother began apologizing like crazy. “I am so so sorry. Oh my gosh. What was she thinking?” Rita rambled on. “She is grounded. Jory, I’m so sorry. I thought I raised my children better than that.”

All I could do was stand there with my eyes wide. I shook my head, bringing myself back into focus. “No, no. It’s fine. She’s upset. That’s okay.”

“Are you alright? Man, I’m going to kick her ass!”

“BRAYDEN! Don’t say that about your sister.”

“Mom! She’s an idiot! She doesn’t even know what she’s fucking talking about!”

I grabbed Brayden’s hand to shut him up. “Babe, it’s fine. Really. Maybe you should just go talk to her. She’s just trying to look out for you.”

“Yeah. You’re right. That’s what I’m going to do,” he said, heading towards where Maddy had ran. As soon as he had left I turned and noticed Rita looking at me, amazed. “What?” I asked, self-consciously.

“I’ve never seen anyone calm him down like that,” she said, shaking her head slightly. “He has such a temper and when he gets mad he just snaps and there’s no talking to him. Not even Zoe could bring him back like that.”

“Really? I mean, I’ve seen him get mad but it usually didn’t last that long,” I said, forcing a little smile.

“I have no words,” she said, grinning. “Jory, I think you are good for my son. That’s all I have to say.” She turned back to the salad while I stood there with a stupid little smile on my face.

“Thank you,” I said quietly as Brayden came back into the room, holding an even younger girl’s hand.

“Look who I found!” he said, happily. “Jory, this is Macy. The tamer of the two sisters.”

“Hey Macy!” I said, nervously. All I could picture was another outburst.

“Hello Jory. Wanna go watch TV?”

“Actually,” Brayden interrupted, “Jory is needed upstairs. Someone has to apologize to her and wants to have a little talk. Come on.” I followed him out of the room and towards the stairs. When we got to the bottom and we were alone he started shaking his head. “I am so sorry. I didn’t realize my sister was a bitch.”

“Don’t call her that,” I said, laughing. “I pissed her off, somehow. Do I have to actually go talk to her? I feel like alone she’ll rip my head off.”

“She’s calmed down. She called Zoe and she told her to give you a chance. She was smiling when we were talking so she’s clearly not that upset anymore. So, up the stairs, turn left, second door on the right.”

I looked up the stairs nervously. “Okay. Wish me luck.” I stepped up on the first step and felt Brayden grab my arm. “Jory?”

“Yeah?” I said, turning back to him. He leaned in and kissed me. “Thank you for putting up with the crazy.”

“Well you didn’t really give me a choice…” I said, half laughing. I leaned in and kissed him again. “But, you’re welcome.” Then, I set off to find Maddy.

I lightly knocked on the door as I pushed it open and found Maddy lying down on the bed. She sat up and gave me a small smile. “I’m sorry,” she said, quietly.

“It’s really okay,” I replied. “I’m sorry I upset you.”

“They try to keep me out of the loop you know, but I heard him and Luke talking. I know what actually happened. I know you came before the break-up. That’s what made me mad.”

I looked down at my hands. “I’m really sorry about that too. I know you loved Zoe and I understand that. I’ve met her. She’s an incredible girl. But, I truly did not know about her when me and Bray got together. You have to believe that.”

“I know,” she said, nodding. “He just told me all that. I get it now. And I know that he really likes you so I’m going to give you a shot. As crazy as it sounds, he usually has good taste in girls.”

I could feel myself starting to grin. “Thank you. I know he loves you guys a lot so I’m sure we’ll get along great. Now, first thing’s first.” I stuck out my hand towards her. “I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Jory.”

Maddy started to giggle as she shook my hand. “Hello, Jory. I’m Maddy.”

We talked for a while longer before Brayden knocked on the door and told us that supper was ready. We all headed downstairs and sat around the table – with me in between Brayden and Maddy. Dinner from that point went really smoothly and as I looked around at everyone laughing and enjoying the company, I couldn’t help but think that I could enjoy spending a lot of time with the Schenn family.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is officially over. :) Thanks so much to the subscribers and for the comments! This weekend we're going to be starting to post a new story featuring Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Viktor Stalberg so stay tuned! :)