Status: hiatus

Soul Searching

Apathetic

“They kicked me off the team.”

Tate rests his head on his hand, elbow propped on the hard surface of the desk. “They can’t do that.”

“Then they forced me to quit,” Anastacia slowly shakes her head, “it all just happened too quick, ya know?”

He nods, “that’s how things like that usually work.”

Lying on her bed, duvet covers pulled to the bottom of her ribcage, Anastacia looks away from Tate and back up to the ceiling as her vision begins to blur.

“My question is,” Tate states, not looking away from the injured girl, “how are you gonna get them back?”

She shakes her head, “I’m not.”

“And why not? You’re just gonna let them win, Stace? Is that it?”

“No, but I just don’t think it’s worth it, ya know? They’ve already kind of won, anyway.”

Tate sits up straight, “oh, don’t give me that ‘bigger person’ bullshit, Stacie. You can’t let these bitches walk all over you. You’ve gotta show them that you’re stronger than they are.”

“And walking away won’t do that?”

He shakes his head, “Hell no!”

“So, you’ve got a better idea then?”

The blonde young man nods, “give ‘em a taste of their own medicine.”

Image


Anastacia shrugs as her mother carefully examines her bruised face. “I don’t know why they did it.”

“You don’t know why? So they just snapped and beat the ever-loving daylights out of you?”

The young woman nods, “something like that.”

Shaking her head, the doctor releases a loud sigh as she pinches the bridge of her thin nose. “I’m not sure what to do here, Anastacia.”

“Me either, Mom.”

She leans back against the island counter. “We could pull you out of school. I could find some sort of homeschooling program—“

“No, that’ll just – that’ll be like defeat, ya know?”

“What should we do here, then?”

Anastacia shrugs slowly, shaking her head. “I don’t know.”