Status: Work in progress

Photogenic

Chapter 2 - Diary

II .

The vegetables looked unappetising just sitting on my dinner plate, I rolled them around using the point of my fork before resting it on the plate with a sharp clank. I felt my mums eyes on my face making me feel uneasy as I turned my head to look at her, sitting in the chair at the foot of the table. I watched her delicately place a small portion of food into her mouth. I excused myself from the table hearing the chair scrap against slate tiled floor, I took my plate over towards the bin scrapping off the leftovers, placing the plate near the sink.
I took myself up stairs knocking on my dads office door, the events of yesterday playing over inside my mind. The thought is uncanny that a camera turned up at our door, the only person reading the letter was him. I walked into his office, his eyes not leaving the computer monitor at my entrance just a simple hello.
“I was just wondering, which relative did this camera come from?” I asked, not daring to sit down on the arm chair.
His office always made my feel uneasy, I hated the smell of the stale liquor where he would hid out saying he was working. I think the only person who brought his lies in this house was mum, I've grown so used to them I can virtually see through each and everyone that comes out through his teeth.
“Just some relative.” He shrugged in a nonchalant tone.
“Why did he send it?”
“I don't know.” His voice sounding a bit irritated.
“You read the letter.” I stated making him turn around in his office chair.
“What does it matter. You didn't know the guy, now stop with the damn questions and get out my office.” He snapped, making me bite my tongue to stop me lashing out at him.
I did as he said slamming the door shut behind me, I made my to my bed room grabbing my diary with a pen stuffing them into a tote bag along with the camera. I practically ran down the flight of stairs and out the front door into the summer heat, my feet took me down the long road along every bend. Until I got to my place. A place where no one else comes or goes. For all I know people have no clue this place existed.
I climbed over the rotten wooden gate, feeling a patch of it flake off in my hands. I jumped down into the long uncut grass, feeling it tickle against my legs as I made my way to my favourite oak tree. This was the one place I could be me and not worry about anything.
In all honesty I didn't care to much for people, or the need to be popular and have a sea of friends. I'd prefer to be alone which most of the time I'm content with. People are too much hassle, having to try and get them to like you or talk to you, then seeing them whenever you can. That just seemed to much of a fuss to deal with, and I hate to deal with other peoples drama when I have my own.
I reached the tree placing the bag down at the foot of the thick trunk, I sat down against one of the huge protruding roots resting my back against it. The cool air caressing my legs where the summer dress didn't reach when I sit. I reached into the brown flower cover bag, taking out my diary along with the pen, I looked up towards the way I came then behind me making sure I was alone with just the melodic song from the birds.

June 14
Yesterday, for some reason my dad received a camera from one of his relatives,
but he won't tell me which one. I tried asking him but ended up getting yelled at, I mean it's not that hard to just tell me the name even if I do or don't know the person. But to him everything is too out of his way, all he does is drink, lie and cheat. My mother is so dumb for staying with him, for believing everything he says. Half the time it's a load of crap, but she will never admit it. She's too good for him, if I had it my way I'd make sure the got a divorce and I didn't have to see him again. All he cares about is himself and his local bar, which I bet when I get back home he won't be there. Probably drinking his sorrows away in an empty glass.

I closed my diary looking up towards the sky, if he isn't home I could probably look for the letter and read who it was from. It's not every day you get a camera for nothing with out so much as an explanation. I let out a sigh putting it back into the bag feeling the camera at the very bottom taking it out. I turned it on, not looking through the view finder as I pressed the shutter capturing a picture of the golden field of tall straw like grass.
I looked down at the screen seeing something black in the back ground of the photo, looking like a figure in the tall grass. Like a child playing hide and seek.
I felt my eyebrows knit together putting it back into the bag as I got up from where I was sat, brushing my hands against the back of the dress removing any debris on the material. I looked towards the way I took the picture trying to look for the child in the tall grass, my eyes straining against the sunlight as I shrugged it off. I picked up the bag putting it on my left shoulder as I made my way back to the gate. I walked along the road side making my way back home, seeing children running and laughing after one another over peoples front lawns.
I opened the front door seeing my mum peer around the corner a small smile on her lips, “is dad home?” I asked, taking my shoes of after closing the door.
“No, he went out.” She answered disappearing back into the kitchen, the one place in this house that she never leaves.
“I'm just that good.” I mumbled to myself, scoring jackpot on my personal bet that he would probably be out. Knowing my dad he's probably getting drunk even more than he is.
I walked up the stairs making my way to his office, not having to worry about my mother as she never leaves the kitchen. I pushed open the door seeing papers sprawled out over his computer desk, more laying on his arm chair. I just nodded to myself assuming he either took it or making it hard for me to find. I let out a sigh setting out to work on the mounds of paper, my eyes scanning every sheet from the cream coloured letter.
I didn't understand why it was such a huge deal to hide it from us, unless it's just my dad being a jerk like normal. I lifted paper after paper finding no trace of the note under any of it. I searched through ever draws and cupboards removing its contents putting it back how I found it. I gave up with a sigh looking at his collection of liquor bottles noticing a little folded note between them. I walked over to them taking the note from between the bottle, leaving the office as I found it making such there was no trace of evidence of me being in there.