Status: Thankyou for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Silence

Eleven

The lift in the Training Centre terrified me. I had never seen anything like it. Sure, there was a lift that I had ridden in the Justice Building in District 10, but this was different. It was made entirely of glass and rose up ten stories before we reached our floor. I stepped inside with quivering legs, gripping tightly to the bar that ran around the side of the lift. When everyone had crowded in, the lift shot up so fast I thought I’d go through the ceiling. I pushed past everyone to get out first and stood to wait for the others, feeling dizzy and very sorry for myself.
“Wasn’t that amazing!” Logan cried. Then he saw the state I was in and laughed “You’re scared of heights?”
I drew myself up to my full height and shoved him “Leave me alone. Everyone is scared of something.”
“Fair enough. I’m scared of butterflies,” he said. It was my turn to smirk.
“Butterflies? What is so scary about butterflies?”
“The way they jerk around and dart in front of your face. It gives me the creeps.” I couldn’t help laughing, and he joined in. I did an impression of a butterfly, swooping around, and I forgot my fears. I realised that Logan brought out the best in me. And I brought out the best in him. When we were together, I unwound and stopped being uptight and cold. He stopped being flirty and had fun.
“Is that necessary, Raven?” Valeria asked wearily.
“Come on, everyone! This is the best bit!” Eli said, practically jumping for joy. We followed him as he bounded down a corridor to show us to our rooms. I didn’t expect the rooms to be any fancier than the ones on the train, but I was very mistaken. I was allowed an hour in my room before dinner, and I spent half the time admiring its beauty. I had a four poster bed with purple silk sheets, and my own bathroom, with an incredible shower. I spent a while stood under the hot stream of water, allowing mechanical controlled sponges to massage orange smelling soap into my body whilst I applied a creamy shampoo to my hair. Eventually, I got out, and was utterly surprised when a gust of air shot up through my body. In a matter of seconds, I was completely dry and my hair was fluffy and untangled. After folding my opening ceremony costume neatly, I put on a white shirt and a comfy long skirt that tickled my toes when I walked. They didn’t really match, but I didn’t care. When Eli knocked on the door for dinner, however, he had plenty to say.
“Really, Raven, you should pick more carefully what you wear. Take me, for example,” he said, stopping briefly to gesture at his mad combination of clothing “I wear things that clash in an interesting, yet suitable way. Would you like me to help you choose something to wear in future?”
“No.”
“Suit yourself! It doesn’t matter to me if you walk around like a fashion disaster. Through here,” he said, giving me a shove in the right direction. Leonie and Sophia were already seated at the table, tucking in to some sort of bird with garlic sauce and stuffed with bacon and leek. Leonie patted the chair beside her.
“Tuck in. You need to build yourself up a bit more before the Games. Congratulations again in your debut. You conducted yourself excellently.”
“Thank you,” I replied, putting a large helping of the meat on to my plate along with potatoes and vegetables. The others arrived shortly after, all still buzzing from the opening ceremonies, so I zoned out to eat my meal. I felt more relaxed than any other time since the reaping. When no one was looking, I even wiped the rest of the sauce off the plate with my finger and put it in my mouth. I wished I could send some of the food home to my mother and father. They would have loved the Capitol food.
Stood in the corner, I spotted the blonde Avox again. Her hands were clasped behind her back in a formal manner, and her head was bowed. But there was something on her cheek…
I peered nosily over to her. On the left side of her face, a huge purple bruise flawed her perfect skin. I was shocked. Who had done that to her? I wondered.
“Are you alright?” I called over to her. She looked startled that I was addressing her. She bowed her head even lower. However, I had caught the attention of the rest of the table.
“Who are you talking to?” Eli said.
“The Avox girl…I don’t know her name, but her face-”
“That is really none of your business, Raven. And don’t you know? Avoxes can’t speak.”
“Why not? Everyone should be allowed to speak! Who is going to stop-”
“Raven,” Leonie cut me off “They can’t speak…because they’ve had their tongues cu…removed. They’re traitors, and you must not communicate with them under any circumstances. Okay?”
It wasn’t okay at all, but I nodded to regain the peace. The Avox left the room straight away. As soon as I had finished dinner, I dismissed myself and ran after her, but she was nowhere to be seen.